Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

GW2 client will be locked to your region

So basically, you cant pay in dollars and play in EU. In order to play in EU you would have to buy a EU copy of game, even digitally, for which you will have to pay in Euros. Then, you cant play GW2 if you travel our of your region. Worst decision ever.

Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country.

~RB2
    Here are some answers and clarifications for you! First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

Hope that helps some! ~RB2
    http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/p...3&__att=iframe
    http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/p...25415807474699

I'm glad Russia (where i'm currently stated) is not a country to ANet and the prices are set in US dollars. Then, when i move out of this place, I won't be able to play GW2. WTF?

Also, I'm glad I won't have to do anything with EU customer support which always is poor comparing to that of US. But again, what about me changing countries in the long run? WTF ANET?

P.S. I was really looking forward to this game. Then came the cashshops. Now this. Sorry ANet, you're not EA to make decisions this bad. I think 'll just stick to GW1 and check the MoP beta I did receive but wasn't excited to try out yet.
    Last edited by agracul; 2012-04-06 at 10:49 AM.

Deleted
    Which is nice. As soon as you log onto the game from a different part of the world you get locked. Amazing! Bye chinese farmers

Btw, they're looking for those who travel across the world or move to a different part. They're trying to find a solution.

ugh. i was looking forward to that game too, but i am going to be going overseas for half a year and i'm not buying a game twice. nor am i buying an mmo i won't be able to play a few months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandises View Post
    Which is nice. As soon as you log onto the game from a different part of the world you get locked. Amazing! Bye chinese farmers

Btw, they're looking for those who travel across the world or move to a different part. They're trying to find a solution.
    like which one? contact CS every time i travel? Sorry, ANet, you're not anything close to my bank and my mom, which are the only two that need to know I'm going anywhere.

Yeah.. this may have just turned me away from the game as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by agracul View Post
    like which one? contact CS every time i travel? Sorry, ANet, you're not anything close to my bank and my mom, which are the only two that need to know I'm going anywhere.
    "Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you."

No, it's ok, you don't have to read everything you quote.

C'mon people.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    "Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you."

No, it's ok, you don't have to read everything you quote.

C'mon people.
    The solution better be something that requires no additional interaction from the player to set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackerjacks View Post
    The solution better be something that requires no additional interaction from the player to set it up.
    You click a link to download this game in the first place, don't be lazy.

Though I'm thinking it might be some kinda auto censor for the current region you are in.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    I don't think it'll require a phone call, if that's what you mean. It will probably require something though. Perhaps some kind of menu in account management? (Outside of the game.)

You just have to set your soul as hostage.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    I don't think it'll require a phone call, if that's what you mean. It will probably require something though. Perhaps some kind of menu in account management? (Outside of the game.)
    Or an additional security question when logging in? That way they can have a little more validity with foreign logins. This would be intended for people on the move. The distinction between US and EU when moving is still up in the air, hence the "[W]e are looking for a solution for you" from ANet.

Deleted
    And all of this unnecessary hassle is created just so they can force people to pay the local region pricing of the game (despite it being highly unfair for the digital version). Region swapping will probably become available and hopefully soon after launch, but I'm sure it will come with a fee...
    Last edited by mmoce5fee02e00; 2012-04-06 at 11:23 AM.

Well Id be upset if it werent for fact that (I hoped for it) poland will get their prices converted from USD and not EURO, so I can buy (EVEN CE!) GW2 here and dont worry bout anything.

I guess theyll lift this over time.

Deleted
    *login to game I bought in EU after I moved to U.S*
    *Screen pops up saying: We see you have travelled to another region, would you like to transfer your account and game folders to this region? (You won't be able to play with this account from the current region if you click no)*
    *click yes*
    *Welcome to Guild Wars U.S edition*

Go make it happen Anet

I still don't understand if you can switch servers on the go like GW1 for PvE stuff. I get that you have only 1 server you have your characters on: home server. And that's the one you represent for WvW but it's still unclear to me if they're letting us essentially have a change district style UI and hop over to a completely different home server in game to play with other folks in PvE. Emphasis on PvE.

Seems a little over the top to prevent gold farming. They're generalising a but much too. They already have the mechanics of their cash shop (which I think is really good. poo to the haters that think xp is power and all the other QQ nonsense they spout) so why the need for this I wonder? =/
    Also a little unsettling to hear that Asia gets no dedicated center. Aren't we expecting quite a few Koreans to play this game? Like, legit and competitive and such? Now I believe Koreans have the highest average connection speeds per household (or 2nd highest, but it's up there) but I imagine it's still going to suck.

We can only hope that the service to change connection points are as fluid as possible or else they will get tons of flack for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashim View Post
    Also a little unsettling to hear that Asia gets no dedicated center. Aren't we expecting quite a few Koreans to play this game? Like, legit and competitive and such? Now I believe Koreans have the highest average connection speeds per household (or 2nd highest, but it's up there) but I imagine it's still going to suck.
    THIS

Wasn't G-Star like one of the first places to compete against ANet? Before Goon Squad etc? I'm in Japan and I'm questioning the playability and I have pretty much the best connection available to me (Fiber Optics from NTT). I hope they don't abandon such a huge audience if they plan to make this a viable e-sports venue and the possible buyers that would love this game.

The 2 data centers are just the ones confirmed at launch...or even revealed through one post.
    This just determines where you log on from...Us or EU data center.
    You can still play on any server.
    You can still visit any server.
    Being an ex-pat in China, I hope they put a datacenter in asia, but as I'll be buying an EU copy of the game anyway, it makes no difference.
    Chillax

Why would they even do this? Have they given any reason why they believe this is a good thing?

15+ Year Old Account
    People are always jumping the gun here. First of for those who don't travel at all and QQ about prices, either pay the price or don't play at all! Secondly for those who are travelling alot, they even mentioned that they are working on something for this. People are so impatient that they aren't willing to wait for the solution.

I have no problem paying more than the US does for my copy of the game, why you ask? Because I come from MMO's with subscriptions and payed more for those over a few years than I will ever have to pay for playing GW2. Just 6 months of subscription is more than you will ever pay for GW2 this is probably true even if you were to get everything from the cash shop. For those who didn't play any subscription fees games ever, it will still be worth it over the long run. The more you play the less difference the price will be anyway. If you count entertainment per hour.

I assume it's a security measure and, honestly, I would expect a security question type solution to it (or a mobile authenticator). Normally I would say people are jumping the gun - but prepurchases open up in 4 days and I can see this as a gripe for folks who travel all the time for work.