Deleted

I've got this problem

I've got a problem guys, just wondered if you could give me some advice. My mum and dad have been very suspicious that I'm gay and I'm afraid to tell them the truth because of their reaction. I wondered if anyone could give me any tips on how to explain the situation without them freaking out.

Depends. Have your parents ever spoken to you or each other about how they feel about gay people? Are they homophobic? Or do they say "let them do whatever they want"? Do they think gay marriage should be legal, or not?

The answers to these questions will determine whether telling them would be easy or hard.

Yeah it comes down to how you think they'd act. You should be able to have a decent idea, considering they ARE your parents.

Be you. Fuck the rest.

Deleted
    I don't know how they would react, but a family member came out of the closet a few years back and the whole family disowned them. I feel so alone it hurts

Quote Originally Posted by James-S93 View Post
    I don't know how they would react, but a family member came out of the closet a few years back and the whole family disowned them. I feel so alone it hurts
    Obviously, you aren't alone. Why not talk to that family member? They might be able to provide insight or advice to the situation.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your a person like any other gay or not. It doesn't make you less then straight people. And they can freak out or accept it only 1 way to find out. Just come out when you want to.

Yeah, if they're too childish to accept something like that, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I'd talk to that other family member to see what's up etc.

This country is pathetic. It's ridiculous that homosexual people have to feel like they can't even tell their own family.

I had meant to ask, why are they suspicious? (Or rather, how do you know that they are?) And if they're already thinking you may be gay, then they may have started to come to terms with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are a free individual, and fuck anyone on earth who doesnt like that.

How old are you?
    If you are old enough to move out, come out and if they dont like it, just leave the homophobic twats.
    But you never know, they may be ok with it

Deleted
    How do you know they've got suspicions ?

15+ Year Old Account
    There are probably some local support groups / guidance counselors / other resources that can help.

http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

Remind them that this is the 21st century, and they need to get over the abuse their parents bestowed upon them.

Be yourself - if not initially, your family will learn to respect your choice, in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Margrim
    "Heroism sounds like an old lady picking flowers
    Bloodlust sounds like Freddy Krueger dualwielding Gnomes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Demichelis View Post
    Phantasmagorical novelization, oh great one. Art thou enraged?

As the others said, talk to that family member and/or support groups for people who can help you get through whatever difficulty comes from your family. When it comes down to it, you'll have to tell them sooner or later. You can't live a lie for your entire life. The sooner you get started, the sooner the dust will settle, allowing you and your family to move on in whatever direction. I don't know your parents from a hole in the wall, but my thought is that if they love you, they will eventually come to terms with it. Eventually may take a long time, but it'll happen. The most important thing you can do is keep in mind that they don't understand, and any hurtful things they say come out of anger. Don't take it to heart, difficult as that may be.

Deleted
    You dont need scum like that in your life.

Deleted
    thanks so much everyone youve been a great help.

10+ Year Old Account
    My advice is to wait until you can move out and then tell them if you think they will not respond well. You need to protect yourself above all else since if the news is not received well and you are still a minor under their care it can create a very unpleasant living situation as a minimum and they could drag you to therapy or even try to have you committed at a maximum.

I would want until you are moved out just to protect yourself. But at this point if they are asking questions they already know.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.