Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Why is mount speed so lame from rank 1 -> 3, is it even worth upgrade?

    I mean, 90% -> 100% -> 110%
    is it even noticable?

    Compare to wow's flying, 280% -> 310% is not a big upgrade, just mony dump. Same here?
    Maybe worth w8 until money is no issue? (lvl 40 atm on highest char)
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD

  2. #2
    It's slightly noticeable, the saved time will add up. The real benefit though is that it takes more damage and you have less a chance to get dis-mounted.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,012
    The amount is noticeable when you go back to a slower toon (or one without a mount at all). And, as Lathais said less chance to be dismounted



  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It's slightly noticeable, the saved time will add up. The real benefit though is that it takes more damage and you have less a chance to get dis-mounted.
    Oh the less chance to get dismounted is nice^^ prob going get it then

    ofc its noticeable when you compare to a toon without mount -.-
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD

  5. #5
    Yeah speed is meh, but not getting dismounted when something looks at you funny is pretty nice.

  6. #6
    I've noticed as of late, on my Desler Avenger, I am getting knocked off after a slight breeze. I used to be able to loose nearly 70% of my health before getting booted off usually, but now, very often, before the third hit I'm getting knocked off. I am curious if anyone else is noticing this? Particularly with that mount, maybe it's the mount since the chance to be knocked off is based off of the mount you use, not the speeder skill.

  7. #7
    I hope future wzs have the ability to use mounts like in wow, but obviously not in combat. Feels weird that you cant use them in Civil War for example, even though it obviously wouldn't be balanced to do so.

  8. #8
    I dunno, I kind of like that you can't use mounts in the Warzones - well, you make a good point, it would make sense in Civil War - it is open and reasonably big.

  9. #9
    The real question is, what would it add to WZs? If it ain't broke don't fix it. I mean maybe later down the road is they release some huge WZ that has 32 v 32 and needs that amount of room, maybe. But really it would add almost nothing so why bother.

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 12:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    I've noticed as of late, on my Desler Avenger, I am getting knocked off after a slight breeze. I used to be able to loose nearly 70% of my health before getting booted off usually, but now, very often, before the third hit I'm getting knocked off. I am curious if anyone else is noticing this? Particularly with that mount, maybe it's the mount since the chance to be knocked off is based off of the mount you use, not the speeder skill.
    I do not beleive it is based on the amount of damage you take, I believe when you take damage there is a RNG chance you will be knocked off. Sounds like RNG is random to me. May be a bug with the speeder itself as well, probably worth opening a ticket about, but don't expect results quickly.
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-04-06 at 05:57 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    I've noticed as of late, on my Desler Avenger, I am getting knocked off after a slight breeze. I used to be able to loose nearly 70% of my health before getting booted off usually, but now, very often, before the third hit I'm getting knocked off. I am curious if anyone else is noticing this? Particularly with that mount, maybe it's the mount since the chance to be knocked off is based off of the mount you use, not the speeder skill.
    i have the Voss speeder and yea i am getting knocked off quite a bit lately as well so in might not be just you

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer1989 View Post
    I mean, 90% -> 100% -> 110%
    is it even noticable?

    Compare to wow's flying, 280% -> 310% is not a big upgrade, just mony dump. Same here?
    Maybe worth w8 until money is no issue? (lvl 40 atm on highest char)
    Is it noticeable - barely, but yes.
    WoW's 280>310% flying is definitely noticeable.
    Money isn't an issue in TOR. Credits are ridiculously easy to come by and the next patch is making mount training cheaper. Even my first character had no real issue getting enough credits to get level-appropriate mounts every time they became available, despite me blowing a nice chunk of cash (and materials I could've sold) into Synthweaving. Just pick up some crew skills and keep them up to date, at least the mission ones, you'll make money fast.

    As to your title question of why the speed transition is so lame, the answer is simple, because BioWare wanted people to get decent mounts right away. If you consider the fact WoW sticks you with a 60% mount until very high level (been dropped in recent years though), you'll see all they're really doing is giving you the exact same thing later (and in the end, less, WoW top being 100% vs TOR's 110% [there's no flying in TOR so that'd be an unfair comarison]). While a thoroughly respectable strategy that I completely agree with as it results in a more fun experience due to a noticeable 'award', in the end, it's the same thing for a player.
    Last edited by Vrachara; 2012-04-06 at 07:13 PM.

  12. #12
    I notice the difference every time I have to wait on guildies who didn't buy it.

  13. #13
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,326
    Also the rare speeders, the ones that are big, will require rank 3. I didnt buy mine until I got one outta KP.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    I hope future wzs have the ability to use mounts like in wow, but obviously not in combat. Feels weird that you cant use them in Civil War for example, even though it obviously wouldn't be balanced to do so.
    It would be possible but they would probably have to change the times it takes to capture a cannon because of the respawning players arriving alot faster. Would make it more fast paced though Imagine mid just a constant barrage of death

  15. #15
    Mechagnome Wargon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere inbetween Arizona and Azeroth.
    Posts
    504
    I'd rather them keep warzones smaller, and not have mounts allowed. Take WOW as an example, they have some really large Battlegrounds, due to mounts, but large areas of the battlegrounds just end up empty.
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

  16. #16
    Pandaren Monk Willeonge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Greyt Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,997
    I'd kill myself leveling on Belsavis using the 90% vehicle. Get the upgrades.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

    “A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

    - King Stannis Baratheon

  17. #17
    I hate my stupid boat looking mount (Nightmare Karraga). I mean I like it when I'm not moving at all but when I move I realize how much faster I should be with twin engines. I feel so slow for being so big.

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Comox Valley, BC
    Posts
    4,403
    As you increase your mount speed you reduce a mobs chance of taking you off of your mount as your run by.

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrachara View Post
    Is it noticeable - barely, but yes.
    WoW's 280>310% flying is definitely noticeable.
    Money isn't an issue in TOR. Credits are ridiculously easy to come by and the next patch is making mount training cheaper. Even my first character had no real issue getting enough credits to get level-appropriate mounts every time they became available, despite me blowing a nice chunk of cash (and materials I could've sold) into Synthweaving. Just pick up some crew skills and keep them up to date, at least the mission ones, you'll make money fast.
    I hate when people say this. Money is not that easy for everyone to come by. It seems a few people just randomly horde money better then others. I never blew money on useless items or severe amount of repairs etc but I barely had enough money for each mount upgrade typically having to wait a level or so after it becomes available just to blow every credit on the cruddy small upgrade.

    People are correct in saying it is partially an investment into not being knocked off though. Although at times it seems that it's not very significant...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •