Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    The D3 Beta is a really small fraction of the whole game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemos View Post
    The D3 Beta is a really small fraction of the whole game.
    That's not really what the OP is asking, I think he worded the title poorly. He is saying that he played it for x hours and the gameplay was repetitive in style, mostly lots of clicking, a heck of a lot of clicking. Is the rest of the game going to be similar dynamics and gameplay - which to our OP - is a repetitive gameplaying style? The answer is yes, it will be more of the same. The dynamics are not going to change.

You're literally counting the amount times you have to use a certain ability to get 100 fury, and the amount of times you can use a fury spender after aquiring said fury? And you're only level 8? I don't think ARPG games are for you if this is the case, try RTS games instead D:
    Signature.. Am I doing this right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    i've thought a bit more about it, and have decided to go to the store and cancel my preorder. Diablo 3 just doesn't seem to be my kind of game. apparently, it also ramps up in difficulty from this, and I don't like my games too hard. I usually play on the lowest real difficulty, so I can experience the story, and go from there if I want abit more challenge. I mostly play games to relax and do something that's easy for a change, not to sweat profusely while trying to figure out how to do certain things. for some games, I can do that, if it's sporadic challenges, like the bossfights in TOR, or some harder riddler trophies in Arkham City. but if it's constantly and increasingly harder, i don't know if i'm going to enjoy it. I don't mind challenge in general, but it needs to be dosed well and not used overly. games like I Wanna Be The Guy, i can't even get past the first screen.

this is just my opinion, but I feel like D3 is not for me.
    it took you a whopping 5 hours +- to decide to cancel your pre-order? What was your point of coming here to "tweet" this?

Either way as you have mentioned quite a few times now, Diablo3 is probably not the game for you. Even if it's based on your experience with an extremely small portion of the game.

i'm sure people are going to call me out on this saying that WoW is the same, but really, it isn't.
    No one is going to call you out for that because Diablo3 is nothing like WoW, never has been and never will be. It's not supposed to be like WoW either.

Personally I love the fact that you can pop in a game play for 15 minutes and log off, you don't feel obligated to run a dungeon for an hour or having to do X amount of dailies to keep up. However if you want to, you can can play much longer. Hell (no pun intended) you might even be able to make some money if you're lucky enough to find the right items. Options is never really a bad thing, is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    To be honest, it does sound like it's not for you. D3 is a hack n slash dungeon crawler - the essence is, kill, loot, repeat. Yes, it has a good storyline and excellent videos but normal playthrough is such a tiny aspect of the game that if you're playing just for the RPG element you're probably going to feel like you didn't get your moneys worth. D3 is definitely nothing like those games you've listed so it may simply be the wrong style for you.
    What Shamanic said.

Seems like Hack'n'Slay isn't your genre, if you don't like the way the game will be played

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich8807 View Post
    First 1/3 of the first act on the first difficulty. Yes it gets deeper.
    No it doesnt. He complains about the gameplay not the difficulty of the game. And looking at gameplay you get to use 6 skills overall and that's it. Sure you can sqwitch but yeah, what he said is basically true. Click or hold mousebutton till your fingers bleed or just leave the game if you dont like to rampage through hordes of monsters.

Deleted
    I think my question fits well in this thread, as it has already answered some of my concerns with the game.

Preface: I never really played D2, tested it but found it very boring (but I never really got that far). Naturally I wasn't to excited to play D3, but now my old wow raid fell apart and as I would like to continue playing with my wow friends, D3 seems like the perfect option. They are all sure to buy it at launch and tried to convince me that it will be awesome.

So now my problem: I watched some gameplay videos from the beta and it looked very unexciting to me. Just 7 buttons at max to press, some spammable, some with rather long CDs. And it looked not very difficult at all, but that will probably change later (as the videos all showed the starting areas it seems).

I would like to know of which aspects the difficulty will consist later on and what makes it worth playing through after the first time? (I understand that you need to play through the chapters multiple times, to experience different modes, level to max and gear up your character.) Are there possibilities to customize your character with different builds? Like chosing your 7 active spells to play together perfectly and support this playstyle with the appropriate gear?
    Is experimenting with builds what makes the game fun? Or is it like raiding in wow, where you fight the same fights every week (and on different difficulty settings) to get better gear which makes the fights easier and easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Haimchen View Post
    Is experimenting with builds what makes the game fun? Or is it like raiding in wow, where you fight the same fights every week (and on different difficulty settings) to get better gear which makes the fights easier and easier?
    It's mostly the second part but keep in mind here the bosses abilities change as well, especially in harder difficulties where they can have a more than one of the various mods attached to them. So sometimes even an over-world mini boss can be tougher than an Act end boss if he ends up getting a nasty combo of mods like the dreaded MSLE (Multi Shot + Lightning Enchant) from Diablo 2. So to some extent you may have to experiment with builds as well, to deal with new challenges.

Honestly there's really no way of trying to sell the Diablo playstyle, cause when you see and talk about it, it looks and sounds boring and dated. Hell i felt that way when i saw my friends playing D2. It's only when i actually started playing that i realized just how addictive and fun the game was.

Even though the play style is The definition of grinding, the game never felt like a grind. With Diablo 2 you always wanted to do one more Mephisto run, and before you knew it, you've done 20 and it still feels great. Something i never felt with WoW.
    Last edited by Demoncrash; 2012-04-11 at 12:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    To be honest, it does sound like it's not for you. D3 is a hack n slash dungeon crawler - the essence is, kill, loot, repeat. Yes, it has a good storyline and excellent videos but normal playthrough is such a tiny aspect of the game that if you're playing just for the RPG element you're probably going to feel like you didn't get your moneys worth. D3 is definitely nothing like those games you've listed so it may simply be the wrong style for you.
    The gameplay can indeed be sumed up like that. The whole ARPG genre revoles around the trinity of kill loot repeat. If you can't find any other appeal that can be used as an enhancing overlay for the "simple" gameplay, such as loving the lore and fleshing out your character concept wise, you probably won't be satisfied.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    Wait what, there is perma death in D3?
    Only in hardcore mode.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Even though the play style is The definition of grinding, the game never felt like a grind. With Diablo 2 you always wanted to do one more Mephisto run, and before you knew it, you've done 20 and it still feels great. Something i never felt with WoW.
    I always wished that could be the case for me, but I could never stomach clearing the same area more than a handful of times before I was sick of it. For that reason, I find it more than a little disturbing in relation to Diablo 3, since the idea that I might potentially enjoy the game a lot less than my friends isn't one that sits well with me.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, especially if properly sharpened and in the hands of a well trained ninja.