Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    A Western in the style of WoW?

Not a bloody chance; the standard Everquest-esk MMO really doesn't work with anything resembling a shooter, as was proved by the countless shooter MMO's they've tried to do.

Red Dead Redemption multiplayer with a much larger map and more features would have me sold personally.
    Oh yeah, the EQ-WoW style of MMORPG probably wouldn't work very well. I just don't see a Sheriff "class" being very good. A large sandbox style map with leveling skills through use like in Skyrim instead of picking a class might work best for it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Well then in my mind that becomes "fantasy" not western. When he says he wants a western MMO, I'm thinking of the old movies.
    I'm thinking about the old movies too but I'm probably emphasizing different parts of them for "Westerness."
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-04-06 at 08:08 PM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Would love it if it was a MMOFPS, I loved playing Outlaws ( hello early 90's ), the first successfull MMOFPS still has to arrive though so might be asking too much. I hate getting older and losing skills, by the time I'm 50 the games out will be a whole new level of awesomeness.

If it was very similar to WoW, I don't think you could pack enough content into it. The funnest Western-style game I've ever played (I haven't played many) is RDR, as I'm sure it's many others favorites too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recall pondering before that the "real" reason we never got a PC version of RDR was that Rockstar was tinkering with maybe making an MMORPG version of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I recall pondering before that the "real" reason we never got a PC version of RDR was that Rockstar was tinkering with maybe making an MMORPG version of it.
    I think that's perhaps wishful thinking; but you never know I suppose. They're currently working on 2 games at the moment however. GTA5 and a game simply dubbed 'Agent'. No information on what it is however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    I think that's perhaps wishful thinking; but you never know I suppose. They're currently working on 2 games at the moment however. GTA5 and a game simply dubbed 'Agent'. No information on what it is however.
    Probably, if I recall correctly Rockstar had all sorts of troubles making RDR so the fact that it was a success at all was likely a huge relief for them. More of a "thank heavens that's over with" than a "what else can we do with it."

I'm still waiting for a horror MMO. Something with Resident Evil or Silent Hill elements. Definitely a lot of zombies around (slow ones) but having other monsters or demonic things around would be okay too. But I'd want the MMO to feel immersive like SWTOR. WoW leveling wasn't immersive enough to make use of the zones that could've been scary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I'm still waiting for a horror MMO. Something with Resident Evil or Silent Hill elements. Definitely a lot of zombies around (slow ones) but having other monsters or demonic things around would be okay too. But I'd want the MMO to feel immersive like SWTOR. WoW leveling wasn't immersive enough to make use of the zones that could've been scary.
    I thought Secret World was a quasi horror sort of mmo?

TSW is modern, but I sure you can make a Clint Eastwood character.

---------- Post added 2012-04-06 at 11:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Wow you described TSW.

I'm just sick and tired of MMOs. Seriously.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Well, young people don't really like western awesomeness. Therefore, MMO like this would be adressed to mature players.

And it would be AWESOME. Bring it on, please.
    No doubt. It wouldn't be an outstanding commercial success, so it probably won't ever happen, but for people like us it'd be great. Choosing Native Americans, US or Conf. soldiers, bands of outlaws, forming posses...I think it'd be great. But a lot of time would have to be put into it to make it all it could be.

Well the Wizards101 dev just announced that they're going to be doing Pirates101, soooo maybe Cowboys101 will be after that haha

Deleted
    Of course you can make a Western MMO. From what I've read of the posts here, people only seem to see a western as "Cowboys and Outlaws/Indians". You know that in "The Wild West" there were also Gold/Oil prospectors, Think of the character in "There Will Be Blood". There would also be the Edisons, Fords and Watts as industrialists to model on.

You could make a perfect sandbox MMO in the wild west, with inventors, ranchers, industrialists, outlaws, sheriffs & prospectors. Model it on EVE Online, with safer parts of the country around the major cities, and then have the wildlands where security is lower, but opportunity is higher. You could have a Huge world to use/explore and fight over. You form a posse or build a homstead, staging post, village with research, industry, mining/ranching and transport your wares to market (trying to avoid or fight outlaws/bandits)

The model EVE uses is absolutely perfect for a Western (especially steampunk) MMO.

BRB while I patent this.

there was one in development once, but it caused Telegraphers Finger in too many of the early testers.
    Last edited by greech; 2012-04-27 at 09:07 AM.

Deleted
    I really like Western theme, but i just don't think it would be a good idea for an MMO. Sure people like Gunslinger type of characters, but there's only of handful people that really do for a long run. You have to understand, that with limited characters to only be that way, it just wouldn't live for long. Just look at Star Wars, well, I don't play it anymore, but not many people were that type of class there, while I played. Was the same in Warhammer, not many people were Witch Hunters.

Characters like that can be very limited, thus boring. They should make a Steam Punk MMO, I think that would attract more people, of course, they would need to tweak it a bit to bring more melee classes and stuff. But like many people have said, Fantasy is the best option, since you can fit pretty much everything in it. Star Wars tried that with their melee classes etc., but still wasn't that good. Still, Fantasy MMOs can have so much more. Technology and all the awesome miniguns and whatnot, is kinda not on par with what Fanatsy brings. And alot of people that play MMOs usually like melee characters and it's hard to have good melee classes, if the world is just full of guns.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 09:24 AM ----------

And the best Western-type game, I ever played was Desperados! Man I loved that game! Also, Commandos! <3

Western video games in general have always been super niche. You could probably count all the worthwhile ones with your fingers. Not even after Read Ded Redemption has there been a surge in western-themed games.

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    dont think anybody would play a western type mmo... except you.
    I'd play if it was good

Cowboys Vs. Aliens MMO - sure.

Why not?

Cowboys would be like Alliance, Aliens like the Horde

I'd buy that for a dollar.

> each character starts out as a farm hand. What you decide to do decides what side of the law they are on. Some side missions you could run into not knowing who is on what side. If you choose to help one side. You might end up helping the Outlaw and end up on the bad side of the law with that town. Doing good deeds would slowly regain your rep.

> The main part of the game wouldnt be cross relmed for anything. The only way to know what side other players are on is by seeing their name on a wanted poster or reading about them doing good deeds. There would be no marker marking them as your enemy. So you would have to learn what names are good and what names are bad.

> Players join in a outlaw gang or a group of lawmen.

>Open PvP would be Lawmen and bounty hunters vs the outlaws. Outlaws robbing trains with other players on them. Outlaws robbing banks and other players trying to stop them.

>Outlaw players would have wanted posters of them in towns that they have done something in. The more the have done, the more money another player would get for hunting them down.

>The world would be huge taking at least a hour of real time(if not even longer) to cross by horse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I just love the western "atmosphere" more than a particular point in history. Fallout New Vegas felt "western" to me even though it was set in a post apocalyptic setting. I guess the main condition would be a huge sandbox style world and I'm not sure anyone would be willing to do it.