Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Question How did that person find that person?

    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...491?page=9#165

    I noticed this person (a DK) found who a main of a level 1 is in the official forums. How did he do it? The history of the level 1 has nothing.

  2. #2
    Don't see anyone confirming that is his main.

    He also probably knows exactly who it is based on mannerism, or what hes doing. It's not hard to notice dicks being a specific kind of dick even if they have a mask on.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    Don't see anyone confirming that is his main.

    He also probably knows exactly who it is based on mannerism, or what hes doing. It's not hard to notice dicks being a specific kind of dick even if they have a mask on.
    I don't believe this is true. He has specific information. He is also not in that realm as a main. He appears to discover it externally and most probably by technical means.

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Miralynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alterac Valley
    Posts
    4,087
    Easy. There's a Firefox addon (and probably one for other browsers, too) that tracks posting history called Cogshanks (link goes to the author's page).

    A bit of technical background: When you post on the Blizzard forums, your posts are tagged with an ID number. You don't see it in the post itself, but it's there in the HTML source. That ID number is unique to your account, and appears in every post you ever post on the forums regardless of what character you use to post.

    So, all you have to do is a bit of browsing back through the archives of the forums and you can build up a pretty good database of who is whose alt. Yes, this means if you're being a colossal bag of dicks on a level 1 alt and you have EVER posted on your main, people know who you are.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    Easy. There's a Firefox addon (and probably one for other browsers, too) that tracks posting history called Cogshanks (link goes to the author's page).

    A bit of technical background: When you post on the Blizzard forums, your posts are tagged with an ID number. You don't see it in the post itself, but it's there in the HTML source. That ID number is unique to your account, and appears in every post you ever post on the forums regardless of what character you use to post.

    So, all you have to do is a bit of browsing back through the archives of the forums and you can build up a pretty good database of who is whose alt. Yes, this means if you're being a colossal bag of dicks on a level 1 alt and you have EVER posted on your main, people know who you are.
    Interesting. That would make more sense. That person did not look like "Gandhi" to know it by intuition. Something like that makes more sense.

  6. #6
    If you put someones level 1 on ignore it will ignore all their other posts on that account. Put the level 1 on ignore, browse the forums a bit until you see an 85 on ignore, look at name, win.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Joels View Post
    If you put someones level 1 on ignore it will ignore all their other posts. Put the level 1 on ignore, browse the forums a bit until you see an 85 on ignore, look at name, win.
    If that's true, it's an excellent idea.

  8. #8
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    If that's true, it's an excellent idea.
    Or use the super awesome script that the person just linked it, It pretty much makes trolls scared and invalid now. So either post on your main or get ridiculed endlessly been using it for awhile myself and It's quite entertaining mind you.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Or use the super awesome script that the person just linked it, It pretty much makes trolls scared and invalid now. So either post on your main or get ridiculed endlessly been using it for awhile myself and It's quite entertaining mind you.
    Does it work though? How does it compare the alts? e.g. if I post on alt X "blah" and on alt Y "bleh" how does it compare them?

    That ignore idea looked better.

  10. #10
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    Does it work though? How does it compare the alts? e.g. if I post on alt X "blah" and on alt Y "bleh" how does it compare them?
    Oh yeah it catches the troll pretty fast, It pretty much list the persons every single toon that they ever have in a frightening way to say at least so lets see you hover the lvl 1

    Level 1: Troll
    Level 85: Bob
    Level 82: Jim

    etc now it is a script within your extensions so if you don't wanna use that, The ignore feature well can be alternative as well as you've stated

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Oh yeah it catches the troll pretty fast, It pretty much list the persons every single toon that they ever have in a frightening way to say at least so lets see you hover the lvl 1

    Level 1: Troll
    Level 85: Bob
    Level 82: Jim

    etc now it is a script within your extensions so if you don't wanna use that, The ignore feature well can be alternative as well as you've stated
    But how did it know level 1 alt was of the main Bob in the first place?

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord Miralynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alterac Valley
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    But how did it know level 1 alt was of the main Bob in the first place?
    As I explained in my post, all their forum posts are tagged with the same account ID number. So at some point he posted as Bob, then later he posted as Troll, and both those posts had the same ID number attached.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    As I explained in my post, all their forum posts are tagged with the same account ID number. So at some point he posted as Bob, then later he posted as Troll, and both those posts had the same ID number attached.
    Exactly so It's 1 2 3 connected within an ID and there you have it.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    As I explained in my post, all their forum posts are tagged with the same account ID number. So at some point he posted as Bob, then later he posted as Troll, and both those posts had the same ID number attached.
    Ah, well fuck. That explains everything:D

  15. #15
    Epic! personn5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    US, Mississippi
    Posts
    1,726
    Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    But how did it know level 1 alt was of the main Bob in the first place?
    They sorta explained it here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    A bit of technical background: When you post on the Blizzard forums, your posts are tagged with an ID number. You don't see it in the post itself, but it's there in the HTML source. That ID number is unique to your account, and appears in every post you ever post on the forums regardless of what character you use to post.

    So, all you have to do is a bit of browsing back through the archives of the forums and you can build up a pretty good database of who is whose alt. Yes, this means if you're being a colossal bag of dicks on a level 1 alt and you have EVER posted on your main, people know who you are.

  16. #16
    Does it work for chrome currently btw? I don't see much coming from it.

  17. #17
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by magneeeto View Post
    Does it work for chrome currently btw? I don't see much coming from it.
    I believe it does, However keep in mind you have to login the bnet site then the extension works by hovering over the toon

  18. #18
    Still doesn't show anything over here. Not even on latest firefox.

  19. #19
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    55
    It either works for Chrome or there is an equivalent add-on. My guildie was talking about it last week.

  20. #20
    I don't see an ignore button at all today. Could that be the reason?

    ---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 01:56 AM ----------

    I suspect it's because it's EU.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •