Individually braided power cable compatability

Hey guys, just a quick question. I'd normally ask something like this in the Chat Thread, but I'm afraid it will be missed, so I figured I'd just ask here.

I'm going for a black and white color scheme in my build, so I was wondering:

Could I buy these individually sleeved modular cable replacements from Corsair for my SeaSonic X750? I assume they will work alright because they are meant for the Corsair AX650 through AX850, which are all rebranded SeaSonic X-series power supplies according to this site.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks to me like they're just standard extension cables and the compatibility is just to line up with the amount of cables coming out of those particular PSUs.

Nah, they're not extensions, they're full replacement, they plug right into the power supply.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't find confirmation on this. The AX650/750/850 are basically Seasonic second gen X Series, but that doesn't mean the pinouts are the same. Sometimes the OEM customer will request slight changes like terminating two wires to a single pin or downright switching pinouts. The Seasonic X750 is also an earlier X-Series, so pinouts may have been different then too.

I suppose it is appropriate that your 666th post was used to crush my dreams kidsafe. =(

Lol, just kidding. =P

I'll have to live with it I guess, or find some white extensions somewhere.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-07 at 01:24 AM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I actually like the extensions because if you use a lot of modular cables it gets really busy on the PSU side of things. The extensions make you snake the cables behind the tray a bit, but that's it.

Why not sleeve it yourself mate?

Because I'm lazy and don't want to do that much work, and because I'm not exactly confident in my ability to take apart the cables and then reassemble them.

Deleted
    Gonna be using some BitFenix Alchemy extensions in mine. Bit of a pita to get the white/black ones in stock anywhere though and have a bunch on Pre-Order from overclockers.co.uk. Too bad they can't tell me when they'll be getting any more 24-pin ones in stock ^^

TTL Review

Yeah, I've been looking at the Alchemy extensions as well, NCIX seems to have a fairly large stock.

Still trying to find a definitive answer on whether or not these cables will work, I've done some pretty exstensive searching, and it doesn't appear that anyone has had the guts to order the cables just to try them. I just messaged Corsair's Customer Service and asked, hopefully I'll hear back soonish.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to look at the back of the two PSUs and see if I could see a noticeable difference.

Here is the back of the Corsair AX750:

And the back of the SeaSonic X750:

While they're in a different spot, the connectors themselves don't look different at all (other than the four pin connector on the bottom row of the SeaSonic).

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Uh, look again. The Seasonic X750 (previous gen) has a combo 16+10 pin motherboard power connector. The AX750 has an 18+10 pin. Looks like a definitive "no" to me, since you wouldn't even be able to plug the connector in at all.

Ugh you're right, I didn't even notice the smaller motherboard connector on the X750, that stinks. >.<

Oh well I guess, I'd probably need an extension to reach the 8-pin CPU power anyway, I did with my old PSU in the Arc Midi, so I guess I'll just pick up the BitFenix Alchemy stuff.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-09 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Ugh you're right, I didn't even notice the smaller motherboard connector on the X750, that stinks. >.<

Oh well I guess, I'd probably need an extension to reach the 8-pin CPU power anyway, I did with my old PSU in the Arc Midi, so I guess I'll just pick up the BitFenix Alchemy stuff.
    Should see if you can find a way to hide the modular cables with something like a cover similar to the one the HAF X comes with, so the only thing anyone sees is your white extensions.