Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    So i've been taking everything in, reading alot about parts ect and i came to find out, the z77 mother board doesn't support overclocking? Is this something i should consider and why should i get the Z77 motherboard(s) over something that supports overclocking?

The Z77 board absolutely supports overclocking, not sure where you read that, but it was incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    The Z77 board absolutely supports overclocking, not sure where you read that, but it was incorrect.

Was on Cyberpower, Ibuypower ect to see the price difference and what not, had i5 2500k, then a Z77 motherboard and both popped up that it didn't support overlocking. Reason why i was on those, was because it'll say if the spec you have don't work together ect. was making sure everything worked right, enough PSU W ect.

Z77 boards definitely support overclocking, in fact, I believe that all of the new chipsets support overclocking.

Then nevermind on that note lol Thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Z77 boards definitely support overclocking, in fact, I believe that all of the new chipsets support overclocking.
    Z77 and Z75 yes, H77 no.

So i have some more money for my comp. Thought maybe i'd put that to a better video card. So what do you think would be best:

GTX 680, GTX 580, GTX 570 SLI, GTX 480 SLI(was looking on the geforce site and some gamse had better FPS with this card)AMD 7970, AMD 7950 or AMD 7850 crossfire? Best out of these, can spend about $700 for the card(s) and all those are within that, want the best out of these overall. That said, The games I plan to play are WoW, D3, maybe Starwars and BF3.

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 04:04 PM ----------

And will a 750W handle the SLI and crossfire cards?

Z77 supports and does everything the Z68 does. Cyberpower hasn't seemed to update the config to allow the Z77 to run pick certain options (SRT), this may be what your getting with the O.C. part.
    AMD is expected to drop prices on the 79XX cards tomorrow. You may also get better (right now) performance for price by running crossfire/SLI, but that limits your later choice to add another 79XX or 680. To add as a note: Cyberpower typically takes a while to match current prices for video cards, you can select to not have one at all and buy it yourself to save a few $$$.
    Ivy bridge CPUs are suggested to be about $10-$15 more then the current equivalent Sandy Bridge.

If you go with a configurator like Cyberpower, mess around with different start points. Some reason I can not get a start from scratch to be as cheap as starting with say the 1000SE. Also make note of all the choices, you may find something better and cheaper later in the lists. Always make note of free upgrades (i.E. free upgrade from the 2500K to 2550K)

I'm gonna build my own computer, the only reason why i was on cyberpower/ibuypower was to make sure everything worked together ect. I think i'm gonna wait for the ivy bridge CPUs, overall seems like a better choice. I think i have everything i want/need, only thing i'm still thinking about is the video card/PSU if it's enough to power SLI/crossfire.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Idk I would get a 2500k now I think for one thing the 3750's will be scarce when they come out and two there not going to be much better. Let me ask you what gains do you think you would get from a 3750 over a 2500k I don't think it's enough to warrant the wait.

Gains? Not awhole lot as you said. Wait? I'm not gonna start buying/building my computer for like another month, so the wait i have no problem with. I'm gonna look over each of them when they are out to make sure what one i REALLY want, i guess. Just the video card thing i'm gaving a hard time with. That said, i'm wanting one of the high end ones. So the 580, 590, 680, 7970, 7950. If you have any insight as to what one to go with, that would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-04-16 at 02:20 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well out of those 5 you linked your probably not going to find a 590 and probably the 680 as well so if money is not in question I would go with the 7970 or 7950 if you can't find a 70.

So i'm starting to buy everything, how does this look?

NZXT switch810
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    AMD 7950
    CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)
    ASRock Z77 Extreme6
    Windows 7
    CORSAIR H100
    i5 2500k (thinking about doing the IB i5 processor, it'll be out in about a week so)

Thoughts? Anything you would change? I'm trying to go over everything to make sure it'll all work togther but maybe someone that knows more about it can help me out? :P

PS, yes i know. SSD, SSD. As of right now, i'm not gonna get one but i'll most likely get one later on
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-04-21 at 10:07 PM.

Deleted
    Get 8GB, low profile, 1600MHz RAM, something like the ones I linked earlier in this thread.

I'm not sure there is a reason to pay extra for the Z77 Extreme6 compared to what you pay for the Z77 Extreme4

You don't need a huge full tower case like the Switch810 but hey it looks great and if that's what you want, go for it.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-04-21 at 11:06 PM.

Glad i posted before i got anything, lol. Thanks. Switched the motherboard and RAM (motherboard to the z77 ex.4 and the RAM to what you had posted). I'm gonna keep the case though, want something that'll be future proof, so if i want another video card, more water cooling ect i have room for it.

Everything else look good? And is the new IB processor worth the wait? maybe the hassel as to find one, i know alot of people will be getting 'em or should i just get the 2500k?
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-04-21 at 10:56 PM.

Deleted
    Wait 2 days and see what happens on the 23rd. we'll have more reviews, you'll know if it's even possible to your hands on one etc. If it's not what you're looking for or as expected then just get the i5-2500k. The rest looks good to go.

Shaweet! tyvm for all your help

So, i've been looking into my build and love everything about it but the PSU. WHY spend $200 on a psu when i see alot of threads on here about the same price range as me yet people say to get about a 50-$100 psu, yes, the fully Modular psu is REALLY nice in many ways but at the same time, i'd rather put that left over money to something else (Vcard, SSD, IB processor ect) or just save some money.

That said, my specs are -

Case - NZXT switch 810
    Motherboard - Z77 ex. 4
    Vcard - 7950
    CPU - i5 2500k
    CPU cooler - h100
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    OS - Windows 7
    Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850
    Case fan(s) - COUGAR CF-V12HB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic

So far i've bought the Case, Motherboard, CPU cooler, Desktop memory and Case Fans. So everything else can change if you guys suggest. As of now, i don't plan to SLI/xfire so do i really need the 850W psu? If not, what PSU? With the money i save on the PSU, would you upgrade anything? Change anything? Add anything?

Also, The games i plan to play are WoW, D3, might try out Tera and The Secret World, GW2, and MIGHT get bf3 but thats a huge might.
    Is the Video card (7950) too overkill? I want something that will last me awhile, that's why i went with that but would you suggest getting something else?
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-05-03 at 12:59 AM.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.69 @ Amazon)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($116.95 @ B&H)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($357.86 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $779.49
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-02 23:06 EDT-0400)

An SSD is a really nice addition to a system like yours and the Crucial m4 is now less than a $ per GB, well worth it. 7870 is honestly plenty for your needs (7950 will last you longer or well provide higher performance longer but that's up to you).

Comparison 7870 vs 7950

I found you a nice PSU that is semi-modular, fairly quiet and overall good quality for only $65 (limited stock).

Will the PSU hold everything (SSD, Hard Drive, Vcard, processor, all that BS) and 12 case fans? Doing the push/pull config for the h100 and what not. If it changes anything, i have 6 COUGAR CF-V12HB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic and the 4 fans that come with the NZXT switch 810, guessing something like NZXT FX-140LB 140mm Enthusiast 3 Speed Fluid Dynamic Bearing 2000RMP Fan then maybe the 2 fans that come with the h100

But i can't thank you enough!!!! So i guess i'll start, TYTYTYTYTYTY!!!!! <333 and some more !!!!!! for the hell of it

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 11:26 PM ----------

i don't think i would use the 12 but thats overall how much i have/can use in the case, will prob use 10 of them, the two that come with the CPU cooler are sooo loud

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 10:38 PM ----------

Also, where is a good place to buy cable sleevings?
    Last edited by KihtKahtBear; 2012-05-04 at 01:30 AM.