Who can buy from wholesalers?

I just had this idea. What if you open your own business... doesn't take much time and effort to do so. For example something like a small one-man webdesign company.

Wouldn't this give you the option to buy your goods from wholesalers for a much lower price than in retail shops? You just need to find one which does not want you to actually provide evidence that you are in the retail business; and there are plenty out there who do not require anything from you.

What am I missing here? Taxes? Inspections? Sounds like a fine idea to me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I just had this idea. What if you open your own business... doesn't take much time and effort to do so. For example something like a small one-man webdesign company.

Wouldn't this give you the option to buy your goods from wholesalers for a much lower price than in retail shops? You just need to find one which does not want you to actually provide evidence that you are in the retail business; and there are plenty out there who do not require anything from you.

What am I missing here? Taxes? Inspections? Sounds like a fine idea to me
    Taxes, the cost of opening a business and the fact that even buying from wholesalers doesn't save you much unless you're buying in bulk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wholsesalers, for the most part, don't care if they're selling to a retailer, they care if they're selling in bulk. So if you want to order 2000 socks, you probably could order from a wholsealer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Wholsesalers, for the most part, don't care if they're selling to a retailer, they care if they're selling in bulk. So if you want to order 2000 socks, you probably could order from a wholsealer.
    Of course if you fetch from their warehouses instead of them shipping it to you, you could actually save a penny.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Of course if you fetch from their warehouses instead of them shipping it to you, you could actually save a penny.
    When you really want to save you go to the manufacturer directly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    When you really want to save you go to the manufacturer directly.
    Excepts they actually might not sell to you, especially in small amounts.

Taxes, the cost of opening a business and the fact that even buying from wholesalers doesn't save you much unless you're buying in bulk.
    The costs of opening a business are nearly zero if you chose the right form of business. And if you look at a German wholesalers, a few of them don't even have minimum purchasing prices. Maybe for your first purchase, some don't even have that.

For example, a friend's father is in the retail business with a small clothing store. Now, his son got a procura and is able to place orders for his dads company. He's buying all that fancy stuff like Diesel jeans for a ridiculously low price. Now, he is actually really in the retail business so I don't see a problem there. My question is, would it still work if you do not actively run a business?
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-04-07 at 01:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The costs of opening a business are nearly zero if you chose the right form of business. And if you look at a German wholesalers, a few of them don't even have minimum purchasing prices. Maybe for your first purchase, some don't even have that.

For example, a friend's father is in the retail business with a small clothing store. Now, his son got a procura and is able to place orders for his dads company. He's buying all that fency stuff like Diesel jeans for a ridiculously low price. Now, he is actually really in the retail business so I don't see a problem there. My question is, would it still work if you do not actively run a business?

Well to answer that: most likely not. When wholesalers sell to retailers they'll generally want a credit check before doing business, you can find some who won't bother. But if we're talking designer products I've no idea.

Deleted
    Well to answer that: most likely not. When wholesalers sell to retailers they'll generally want a credit check before doing business, you can find some who won't bother. But if we're talking designer products I've no idea.
    Credit checks to check that the buyer isn't a scammer or not overly in debt? what does that have to do with anything?