Thread: Ret pallys bad?

Ret pallys bad?

Are ret pallys worth playing in pvp? I normaly play a holy pally but when I spec ret I feel like im useless.

Ok not to be mean or anything but its not always the class. Sometimes its the matchup and the team makeup. Other times its the players experience.

I just hate people blaming the class.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Bad" usually means "shitty player hiding behind tricky mechanics."

Be all you can be!

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Ok not to be mean or anything but its not always the class. Sometimes its the matchup and the team makeup. Other times its the players experience.

I just hate people blaming the class.
    Blaming the spec, not the class. Holy is fine, Ret feels like it doesn't fill any proper role.

My advice would be "wait for MoP". Ret is looking much more promising there than the clusterfuck of RNG and poorly implemented unpolished HP mechanics that is Live
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

BGs can be fun if you can pick your targets, arena is allright if you play one of the 2 viable comps in 3v3. 2v2 arena is a joke with any setup.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Damn ret is nowhere near to being 'bad' or 'useless'. One of the strongests bursts in the game, not too bad survibility altho we're lacking in mobility. With correct comp eg. rouge, feral or anything with strong burst u can destroy someone in a matter of secconds.

Ret isn't in a bad position now either, you just fill a more hybrid role with off healing and giving freedoms to you partner to go for kills or HoPing them etc. I guess you could call them the "support" class of WoW. They are in the best shape they have been in for a while atm (with that I mean pretty much all of cata).

I agree that their RNG is awful though, but getting 2.2k on a ret is certainly very possible and they perform great in random bgs aswell.

Deleted
    It is not usless but if people manage to control your burst cd rawr time you are screwed against a player with half a brain and cataclysmic gear

I dunno, I get by just fine on my Ret Pally.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played ret since BC, I always did arenas casually, but 95% of the time I was top of the damage and/or kbs, same with battlegrounds.

Typically get one of these wins a night with 3 or more games done, and

http://i.imgur.com/XrA8Z.jpg
    That was on my lv 48 ret pally two days ago, 0 heirlooms
    I have men kneeling at my feet, asking for my hand in heroics. ~Raechelle, Ysera

Armoury:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...echelle/simple

The problem I have is that I always feel like im trying to juggle my abilitys, it just doesnt feel smooth. And if Im CCed during my burst I might as well just go afk.

---------- Post added 2012-04-07 at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LeClaires View Post
    I've played ret since BC, I always did arenas casually, but 95% of the time I was top of the damage and/or kbs, same with battlegrounds.

Typically get one of these wins a night with 3 or more games done, and

http://i.imgur.com/XrA8Z.jpg
    That was on my lv 48 ret pally two days ago, 0 heirlooms
    Omg how!???

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a bit of a juggling act, you'll get used to it with practice though ^^
    we have two buttons to break cc: trinket and bubble, if one fails I use the next, and depending on my hp /cancelaura divine shield to keep going. sometimes if the people are stacked against you there isn't anything you can do but die and try again hehe

Practice! I can't stress enough how awesome practice is. I teach many people how to play ret, and then they maybe spend 2 hours on it before giving up and going back to holy/prot. With enough practice playing ret is as easy as breathing
    Last edited by LeClaires; 2012-04-07 at 08:03 PM.
    I have men kneeling at my feet, asking for my hand in heroics. ~Raechelle, Ysera

Armoury:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...echelle/simple

Deleted
    Rets ain't bad, they're middle of the pack, which means that contrary to rogues, mages, and well, you know which classes I'm speaking about, you have to try to play!

Mages and rogues are on autopilot while you must understand the use of your cooldowns. When one of the more op PvP classes can understand their toolkit, your chances of wining is very slim.

In arenas tho, you can group with those same OP classes and, being probably the best spec from the middle of the pack ( the worst of the best? Best of the worst? ), you'll have a good competitive team. Them RMP shows up.

The problem with Ret and arena is that CC and the ability to peel trump damage. From a damage perspective we are fine, but we are lacking in the CC and peeling department. Repent and Hammer are our only methods of CC and both are on long cd's; with no snare or control we can't peel dps off healers. There's a reason RMP has been a gladiator comp for every single season, and damage isn't the reason (although that obviously helps).

Just run a triple dps comp (ret/hunter/rogue or ret/dk/rogue) and throw a couple random WoG's out and you'll win against every team unless you're absolute shit.

No, I wouldn't say Rets or any class/spec is bad. They can all work under the right circumstances. But there is little reason to take a Ret over any other melee. As they are very reliant on a class with more snares or stuns. Ideally a rogue or DK.

I personally didn't find Ret to be that fun in arenas so I played holy(other than helping people cap conquest). In RBGs I would prefer ret but most people would rather have a 2nd dk or rogue. So again I play holy.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-04-07 at 09:15 PM.

Ret isn't a dps spec in PvP. It is more of a support class. You use what you can to make sure your team mates can do their roles right. For healers, you BoP them, or cleanse whatever. For other dps, you BoP/Freedom them and throw heals to help when you can. Trying to be THE dps of the group usually isn't a good idea.