Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Diablo 2 has no relevance to my statement.

    So called cookiecutter builds are player driven phenomenons. If one wants to min/max, that is up to that player. Complains about lack of choice is illogical when a player removes options themselves.
    Tell that to the players complaining about Dragon Soul buff. "You don't have to use it". "BUT I WANNA BE COMPETITIVE!!!"

    So much for choice... Of course everyone will get the best damage builds. If you want to use "Bash"(single target attack) with the worst rune on AoE in Diablo 3, go ahead! It's a choice!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by pipboyedshadowmourne View Post
    path of exile gets veeeeeeeeery boring even beta is much loooonnger than d3 beta
    diablo is the way to follow if you want polished gameplay and years of experience
    You do know that most people who actually created diablo in the first place are working on torchlight nowadays and not d3?

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    You do know that most people who actually created diablo in the first place are working on torchlight nowadays and not d3?
    Well you can see on Torchlight who was brain behind development of Diablo 2 so your argument is invalid.

  4. #24
    To be honest, I'll be getting both. Annual Pass gives me D3, and with PoE being F2P, I'll be getting that too. I'm in the Beta for it, and it's actually incredibly enjoyable.

  5. #25
    Scarab Lord Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    4,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    You do know that most people who actually created diablo in the first place are working on torchlight nowadays and not d3?
    This is unrelated.

    A Blizzard title is one that reflects the high standards of the developers, the individual team on a title is unrelated to quality. Many of the SC team did not return for the next installment and that is a great game.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  6. #26
    I've never heard of Path of Exiles. Personally I am staying away from D3, mostly because it is made by Blizzard, but thats just me. I loved D2 though, so if you are a big fan of the D2 universe then I would say go for D3.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.

    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    Better to have choices that suck than no other choices at all, in D3 you can choose the color or animations of your spell but guess what it's the exact same spells as everyone else, why use the rune system then? It offers an illusion of choice that only the new kids will appreciate....
    You really don't know how skill runes work do you? illusion of choice and just the color?

    oh and i am so glad the same dev team that made D2 is no longer making D3. They left... to make Hellgate London... and look how well that game turned out

  8. #28
    Path of Exile kinda looks minimalistic in comparison to Diablo 3. Every spell is barely a spark and every hit looks... tiny and weak.

    However, it looks nice and dark and I'd love to buy it and play it. Extensively.
    But if I really really had to choose: Diablo 3. No exception. Ive been waiting over 10 years, and no game looks even close to interesting when the personal and affectional value is that big.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't have to follow a cookiecutter build. The vulgar perception of what such builds provide is totally ignorant.
    How is following what has been calculated and tested to the moon and back a vulgar perception?
    If you want the best ground to do good or as best you can at a given role u are given be it pve or pvp a cookiebutter build is always a good base for that. No you dont have to follow such a build, you got a choice, if you want to be "special" go your own way and have fun. But it's by no means a vulgar perception what a cookie butter build gives a new player or a old one in a new role.

  10. #30
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't have to follow a cookiecutter build. The vulgar perception of what such builds provide is totally ignorant.
    You don't HAVE to, I suppose.. unless you want to succeed in Chaos. If you don't min/max, you won't be able to do the "end game" reliably. Just like in Diablo 2. If you didn't build your character a certain way, you could still do Hell Baal runs, but they would be far too difficult to be worth it.

  11. #31
    I dunno guys i just feel blizzard overdevelops games no?

    path of exile is really good

    so is D3

  12. #32
    PoE's passive skill tree's success is not in build variety or 'choices', it's in how it feels to go through it, and it feels quite good moving about the board. D3 is a completely different system, with completely different goals. Just because they have the same end result (power increasing) doesn't mean they do them the same way or even a remotely comparable way.

    Honestly, comparing them is doing both games a disservice and making me all the more adamant about going single-player in both games.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Diablo 3 if you want to play new game, Path of Exile if you want to play something that was old in 2005.
    qft
    10char

  14. #34
    Herald of the Titans Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,785
    I have PoE beta, Its not bad actually. The engine needs some work, its not quite as snappy and responsive as the engine D3 is running under.

    I personally like D3 over PoE. Im not hating on PoE, it rly isnt that bad, but when playing one after another, D3 is better and more of a change in the genera than PoE. PoE feels OLD like titans quest, slow and sluggish.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Remyi View Post
    You don't HAVE to, I suppose.. unless you want to succeed in Chaos. If you don't min/max, you won't be able to do the "end game" reliably. Just like in Diablo 2. If you didn't build your character a certain way, you could still do Hell Baal runs, but they would be far too difficult to be worth it.
    Is that not too choice? One doesn't have to have the goal of doing Hell/Chaos difficulty.

  16. #36
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Is that not too choice? One doesn't have to have the goal of doing Hell/Chaos difficulty.
    I suppose.. but who wants to play a game for years, only getting low to mid level loot? The loot farming is the purpose of a dungeon crawler. It stands to reason that you would want to gear up your max level character in the best available gear. Sure, people farm lower difficulties for alt gear, but I don't think I would want to do it for years.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Remyi View Post
    I suppose.. but who wants to play a game for years, only getting low to mid level loot? The loot farming is the purpose of a dungeon crawler. It stands to reason that you would want to gear up your max level character in the best available gear. Sure, people farm lower difficulties for alt gear, but I don't think I would want to do it for years.
    I am sure there were millions of players of D2, Torchlight, Dungeon Siege, Titan Quest, etc; who never aspired to do the hardest difficulty level as nauasem.

    Granted, I ado agree with you on certain builds performing better than other in such modes. However I do not see that as an agenda a designer would plan for. Rather that those are a phenomenon of the community and more importantly the cause of #s. Both of which are inevitable.

  18. #38
    diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 is the real question

  19. #39
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    Better to have choices that suck than no other choices at all, in D3 you can choose the color or animations of your spell but guess what it's the exact same spells as everyone else, why use the rune system then? It offers an illusion of choice that only the new kids will appreciate....
    From your post it doesn't look like you understand the effects of runes. They don't just alter color and animations. They actually alter the effects of many skills. I'll provide a link to just one skill and its list of runes. The rest you can explore on your own if you wish to learn the truth. The rune system isn't an illusion of choice because there are distinct differences, but not something that is best in every situation. Illusion of choice comes from having choices but still being required to pick certain things in order to be "good". Many Talent Tree models fall run into this problem.

    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/dem...ungering-arrow
    Puncturing Arrow Increase the chance for the arrow to pierce to 50%.
    Cinder Arrow Light the arrow on fire, dealing 35% additional weapon damage as Fire over 3 seconds
    Shatter Shot If the arrow successfully pierces the first target, the arrow splits into 3 arrows.
    Devouring Arrow Each consecutive pierce increases the damage of the arrow by 70%.
    Spray of Teeth Successful Critical Hits cause a burst of bone to explode from the target, dealing 50% weapon damage to enemies in that area.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  20. #40
    I played both D3 and PoE in beta and I liked PoE more. Hard to say why, but D3 was close.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

    Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •