Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    emm im not really nostalgic about d2... d1 has special place in my heart, not d2...

    It also appears to me that your only gripe with old system is lack of ability to respecc... and if i remember correctly akara lets you respecc nowadays...

    My point being however, with d2 talent trees ,or skill trees if you will, you could play around a ton, have some fun with it, try out new things. New talent tree is pointless. If you can change your talent build whenever you want for the price of 30 sec cooldown on switched ability, it defeats the sole purpose of character building. I mean, whats the point of figuring out the build that will handle all situations properly ( which IS great fun for tons of people, me included) if you can switch w/e you want whenever you want? You encounter something tough? sure, np, i will just wait 30 secs and faceroll it with that 1 ability that makes this encounter faceroll. If respeccing would cost you fucktons of gold or whatnot then sure, its fine, but when 30 sec cd is the only price, then they may aswell just remove talent trees alltogether...
    2nd thing wrong about this talent system, or rather latter implementation of it, is that you lose fucktons of choices you had compared to first implementation. I personally cannot feel different than that blizz changed talent system to help retards build their characters. For example barbarians who would make talent build w/o single fury generator and then whine that game is too hard and stupid... now they cannot fail at using brain cause they are forced to take at least 1 fury generator.
    For me, latter implementation is simply bad. It often forces me to take abilities i really dont want at all and some passive abilities are just so hurtfull with their "nobrain" choice it makes my eyes bleed... therefore again,they are stripping you of actual choice... firstly due to your choices being simply meaningless as you can switch around all the time and secondly due to some passive skills VAST superiority over others...


    As i said tough, wouldnt give it anything over 7/10

    How do you know that people will faceroll through the whole game? Have you played the whole game through all it's difficulties to know that they are making it way too easy? And what makes you think switching to the right skill set up will automatically make things easy? this isn't WoW where you can just stand behind your tank and the boss will happily ignore you. Don't bring your WoW hate to this game.

    And i am glad that there is no single talent tree spec that can handle the whole game so i can use the same toon to play solo, with 1/2/3 friends and switch my skills on the fly when 1 more more people join for better synergy.

    Oh and you would not give it more than 7 would you? So you would score a game without even playing it... nice. Makes it really easy not to take anything you say seriously.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    emm im not really nostalgic about d2... d1 has special place in my heart, not d2...

    It also appears to me that your only gripe with old system is lack of ability to respecc... and if i remember correctly akara lets you respecc nowadays...

    My point being however, with d2 talent trees ,or skill trees if you will, you could play around a ton, have some fun with it, try out new things. New talent tree is pointless. If you can change your talent build whenever you want for the price of 30 sec cooldown on switched ability, it defeats the sole purpose of character building. I mean, whats the point of figuring out the build that will handle all situations properly ( which IS great fun for tons of people, me included) if you can switch w/e you want whenever you want? You encounter something tough? sure, np, i will just wait 30 secs and faceroll it with that 1 ability that makes this encounter faceroll. If respeccing would cost you fucktons of gold or whatnot then sure, its fine, but when 30 sec cd is the only price, then they may aswell just remove talent trees alltogether...
    2nd thing wrong about this talent system, or rather latter implementation of it, is that you lose fucktons of choices you had compared to first implementation. I personally cannot feel different than that blizz changed talent system to help retards build their characters. For example barbarians who would make talent build w/o single fury generator and then whine that game is too hard and stupid... now they cannot fail at using brain cause they are forced to take at least 1 fury generator.
    For me, latter implementation is simply bad. It often forces me to take abilities i really dont want at all and some passive abilities are just so hurtfull with their "nobrain" choice it makes my eyes bleed... therefore again,they are stripping you of actual choice... firstly due to your choices being simply meaningless as you can switch around all the time and secondly due to some passive skills VAST superiority over others...


    As i said tough, wouldnt give it anything over 7/10

    Wait. You liked playing around and having fun with the D2 system, but you don't like the D3 system, because it's easier to play around and find out which skills are more fun? You don't like it because inexperienced players don't have to go online to find "the" build and there are no traps to make unworkable builds? You don't like the options to use any skill combination you want, skills being in themselves customizable as well? You assume there will be skills to make bosses faceroll, but that's impossible to know with only 13 levels of beta. I highly doubt we'll see this happening as boss mechanics will be a lot more complicated than they were in D2 (yet another plus).

    If you don't like "forced builds", which a ridiculous thing to claim as D3 has far more variety in builds than D2 did, you'll be happy to know there is an advanced option which allows you to use any skill you want in any slot. Just because you can change your skills frequently does not make choosing them meaningless. I've had a ton of fun playing with the skill calculator figuring out the builds that will be the most fun to play.

    Don't get me started on D2 runes... A completely luck based system that rewarded neither skill or time investment and forced research to find "the" runeword you wanted and forget anything else.

  3. #43
    Brewmaster Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Between my chair and keyboard
    Posts
    1,361
    It all depends on how much money Blizzard is willing to give the review companies. I am willing to bet it gets 9.5-10 across all of the major game "reviewers"

  4. #44
    Game journalism is a complete and total joke these days, they gave Dragon Age 2, 9s and 10s


    Dragon Age 2!

    I would not give that game a 5 let alone a 9. I expect Diablo 3 to get 9s mostly, and end up at 91% at Metacritic. Not that it matters as its a Blizzard game and it will sell millions on reputation alone. Its not one of those games where people wait for reviews before they buy.

  5. #45
    aging graphics? it looks gorgeous

  6. #46
    Probally 9 to 9.5 from most sites

    And a 6 from Gamespot because the controls are broken.

  7. #47
    It will probably get a solid 9/10

  8. #48
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roxby Downs, Australia
    Posts
    8
    the only that might let it down will be, constant server connection required. Other than that it seems pretty solid, not hugely multiplayer based so you can go solo the whole way if you like, which is great. Even better is that the skills aren't designed around Player vs Player, which isn't even in at launch. + marks for that!

  9. #49
    It won't get a 10. Nothing gets a 10. However, it'll probably get 9-9.5 while it deserves 6-7 like most AAA titles.

    Outdated graphics, dumbed down systems, major changes from D2 formula, PVP cut off from launch, terrible writing and mediocre voice acting. If the story is generic, then it'll go even further down.

    If a game is a sequel, many reviewers want it to be "more of the same" so they easily chop down points while looking rebellious to the rest of the reviewers who gave a higher score. Gamespot will touch upon the graphics issue to say "it'll run on everything!" and IGN will praise the non stop talking between you and your follower. The usual.

    (Oh oh! Gamespot will score the game with a 5 because it doesn't come for an XBOX! Yay!)

    What it really should get is the Duke Nukem Forever treatment to be honest. Waiting for years to have systems changed at the last 6 months...
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

  10. #50
    High Overlord TigglyBiggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mitten land
    Posts
    181
    It will probably get high 9's for the most part. I don't see it being poorly rated at all (a 7 and under being poor for a game this highly anticipated).
    Waiting on GW2 and Z.O.E. HD collection.
    Currently playing WoW and hating YGO.
    My Feral druid Main
    And most importantly I shall give you the means to travel faster than the fastest starship. To soar to the ends of the universe and beyond.....

  11. #51
    diablo 3 is supposably free once u buy it. free things go a long way.. 9's across the board.
    as a devoted diablo fan ive played Diablo, D2, and D2lod.. all of them are fine works of blizzard.. and even with all the bots and misconduct that went on its still a decent game to mess around with.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorage View Post
    It won't get a 10. Nothing gets a 10. However, it'll probably get 9-9.5 while it deserves 6-7 like most AAA titles.

    Outdated graphics, dumbed down systems, major changes from D2 formula, PVP cut off from launch, terrible writing and mediocre voice acting. If the story is generic, then it'll go even further down.

    If a game is a sequel, many reviewers want it to be "more of the same" so they easily chop down points while looking rebellious to the rest of the reviewers who gave a higher score. Gamespot will touch upon the graphics issue to say "it'll run on everything!" and IGN will praise the non stop talking between you and your follower. The usual.

    (Oh oh! Gamespot will score the game with a 5 because it doesn't come for an XBOX! Yay!)

    What it really should get is the Duke Nukem Forever treatment to be honest. Waiting for years to have systems changed at the last 6 months...
    lol is this serious?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
    It all depends on how much money Blizzard is willing to give the review companies. I am willing to bet it gets 9.5-10 across all of the major game "reviewers"
    unfortunately this is correct. just look at what most "reviewers" gave MW3 which is running on an outdated engine, same old stuff spewed out every year and most give it high 9's.

  14. #54
    If they gave DA2 8 then I think D3 should be 11.

  15. #55
    Herald of the Titans Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    Probably higher than it deserves cause its called "diablo" and d2 and d1 nostalgy will kick in on the reviewers. From what ive seen so far and in beta im not really impressed.
    Talent system is boring(liked d2 style much more), d2 rune system is gone which is something that annoys the hell out of me, RMAH gives me mixed feelings aswell... Basically i find more negatives about it than positives and when i played through beta, as mentioned, i wasn't really impressed. Personally i wouldnt give it anything above 7/10
    I actually have more faith in torchlight 2 rather than diablo :s

    Yet people play d2 to this day...
    Also you cant really compare diablo and sc, they are 2 completly different games, designed for different types of players.
    To give you example, i like diablo, i like to turn it on, lvl up some char, farm some items for the heck of it and then... i get bored. My friend however can farm items every day for few hours and he never gets bored... For me there was no real endgame, for him farming items was the end game.

    D2 rune system was for making socketed items powerful. You have NO data on the new D3 gem system, only that there will be hundreds of gems. The rune system could still be in the game and be 10x better and you wont know until 5/15 .

    But, here is where we both agree, I HOPE that the gem system is akin to the D2 rune system. It seems like such an awesome way to customize your weapons, I will be highly disappointed if red gems only do +2 damage and thats it (simple basic stat modifiers). I want runewords/gemcombos, or what ever system Blizzard wants to brand it as.

    Furthermore, we dont have a lot of info regarding other forms of customization. Blizzard knows not to put all the cards on the table before launch, I have no reason to believe their business model has changed that dramatically in the past 6 months.

    Only one month left, so we will have to wait before passing judgement.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2012-04-09 at 04:30 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
    I don't see how D3 will outlast SC2 multiplayer wise, you play through it with a friend, beat it and walla! uninstall...SC2 has leaderboards etc. I mean how many times can you play through the same exact story/areas in co-op before it gets old
    If it's even a little bit as fun as D2...about 4-5 years for me

    @Beazy :
    Don't count on it. D2 started with just gems as customization and added more with an expansion which will probably be the case for D3.

    Overall in terms of amount of items that'll be useful/good in D3 we can't really complain because we now start with a good crafting system while D2 had a crafting system only useful for a couple slots.
    Last edited by dahmer; 2012-04-10 at 07:15 AM.
    An Apple fanboy called me a retard.
    In the real world that makes me a genius.

  17. #57
    I don't think most people here get how reviews work or bother to read anything beyond a quick skim and a glance at a number on the Metacritic site. The points about DA2 only reaffirm that honestly :/

    Though, I did laugh at the guy saying Gamespot would rate it bad because of the controls. Oh, Gamespot, you so incompetent.

  18. #58
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I don't think most people here get how reviews work or bother to read anything beyond a quick skim and a glance at a number on the Metacritic site.
    I think most people understand that singular critics and reviewers are irrelevant and pointless. If you want to go by anything, go by what the vast majority thinks. Liking something most other people like is at least a lot more likely than agreeing with some random person doing some random review.

    Best thing though is simply to ignore points and reviews and make up your own mind.
    've is short for have. C/Sh/Would've or c/sh/would have. Not c/sh/would of.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I think most people understand that singular critics and reviewers are irrelevant and pointless. If you want to go by anything, go by what the vast majority thinks. Liking something most other people like is at least a lot more likely than agreeing with some random person doing some random review.

    Best thing though is simply to ignore points and reviews and make up your own mind.
    Which is why you read their reasoning to get a better understanding of the game, and especially the numbers that they put up for the review. The numbers are pointless without the context of the rest of their feelings.

    Reviews are not for 'making up your mind' about whether a game is good or not, because you should know that already if you've played it. They are for identifying why you may or may not end up enjoying it before you buy it, and a simple number and a summary don't tell you anything about that.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
    I don't see how D3 will outlast SC2 multiplayer wise, you play through it with a friend, beat it and walla! uninstall...SC2 has leaderboards etc. I mean how many times can you play through the same exact story/areas in co-op before it gets old
    The rather large amount of people still logged into Diablo 2 battle.net would like to have a word with you. And its not the same areas, its random! You are heavily underestimating the re playability of the diablo series (hint, it has insane amounts).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!


    My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •