Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Exclamation Diablo 3 - What score/rating will it get?

Diablo 3 comes out May, what do you think the general score will be for IGN, Gamespot, Game Informer etc.?

I'm thinking 8.0-8.5 across the board - probably get deducted for aging graphics etc.

How do you feel and why do you think it will get that rating?

Deleted
    well if they a negative score for dated graphics (they look great btw) then i couldnt care less about the review. It will be a solid blizzard title so i dont really care what its offical score will be but im guessing 9/10.

If youre going to mark it down.. maybe it should be for not having pvp at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    well if they a negative score for dated graphics (they look great btw) then i couldnt care less about the review. It will be a solid blizzard title so i dont really care what its offical score will be but im guessing 9/10.
    Well it won't have as much replayability as say Starcraft 2 for instance, with major multiplayer aspects etc...so i'm thinking 8.5

Deleted
    you do the same thing over and over and over and over again.. it will far out last SC II in my eyes. I dont think ive touched SC since i finished the solo campaign.. i think my bro got whooped online and gave up lol

Anywhere between 8.5 and 9.5. It looks to be a solid game, but different companies/sites always find something to bring the score down on.
    They're usually valid points, so they're worth reading atleast.

Thanks to Elyaan for the great sig!

I don't see how D3 will outlast SC2 multiplayer wise, you play through it with a friend, beat it and walla! uninstall...SC2 has leaderboards etc. I mean how many times can you play through the same exact story/areas in co-op before it gets old

When was the last time AAA title got bad reviews? Credibility of gaming journalism is all time low, i'm guessing +9.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...eviewers-fail/

8 to 9 sounds fair. It looks good enough and graphics don't bother me that much.

Probably higher than it deserves cause its called "diablo" and d2 and d1 nostalgy will kick in on the reviewers. From what ive seen so far and in beta im not really impressed.
    Talent system is boring(liked d2 style much more), d2 rune system is gone which is something that annoys the hell out of me, RMAH gives me mixed feelings aswell... Basically i find more negatives about it than positives and when i played through beta, as mentioned, i wasn't really impressed. Personally i wouldnt give it anything above 7/10
    I actually have more faith in torchlight 2 rather than diablo :s

I don't see how D3 will outlast SC2 multiplayer wise, you play through it with a friend, beat it and walla! uninstall...SC2 has leaderboards etc. I mean how many times can you play through the same exact story/areas in co-op before it gets old
    Yet people play d2 to this day...
    Also you cant really compare diablo and sc, they are 2 completly different games, designed for different types of players.
    To give you example, i like diablo, i like to turn it on, lvl up some char, farm some items for the heck of it and then... i get bored. My friend however can farm items every day for few hours and he never gets bored... For me there was no real endgame, for him farming items was the end game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
    D2 had leaderboards, and D3 will have an arena-like pvp system if I'm right. Like Bloodline Champions.

Deleted
    OVER 9000!!!!!

i am thinking 8.0 / 8.5

I got into beta, and it seems able to capture the spirit of diablo 2. So i am hopeful. But we must remember its a very "niché" a dungeon crawler is going to get lower scores, based solely on it being a dungeon crawler. rightfully so perhabs?

Probably around 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    Probably higher than it deserves cause its called "diablo" and d2 and d1 nostalgy will kick in on the reviewers. From what ive seen so far and in beta im not really impressed.
    Talent system is boring(liked d2 style much more), d2 rune system is gone which is something that annoys the hell out of me, RMAH gives me mixed feelings aswell... Basically i find more negatives about it than positives and when i played through beta, as mentioned, i wasn't really impressed. Personally i wouldnt give it anything above 7/10
    I actually have more faith in torchlight 2 rather than diablo :s
    --snip--
    I'm going to go with this as well. It will never score lower than an 8 though. Blizzard, much like Squaresoft used to be, is an untouchable company right now. If the nostalgia doesn't help the reviews, the reviewers fear of a fan backlash will nudge their scores higher. The systems underlying the game are really stripped down, like you say, in the loss of the rune system. I am going to assume this was left out in order to put it in as an xpac feature to help drive those sales. But for a genre who's gameplay is nothing more than clicking and kiting, much of the fun comes from playing with the systems behind it.

Requiring the player to be online all the time will probably be a big annoyance too. But I think this is the way Blizzard is going in order to tie your friends together across all the games. Basically, you'll probably see a Real ID friend online in WoW and will probably be more inclined to return to that game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
    Well it won't have as much replayability as say Starcraft 2 for instance, with major multiplayer aspects etc...so i'm thinking 8.5
    youre way off my friend

some people also need to realize that the runes were introduced with the d2 x-pack, and since d3 is planned to have 2 x-pack im gonna take a bet and say theres gonna be a different form of the rune system in a later expansion. so chill a bit and enjoy what it is right now, and not what it could have been if you actually made the game yourself ~~
    Last edited by Ghul; 2012-04-08 at 04:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    Requiring the player to be online all the time will probably be a big annoyance too. But I think this is the way Blizzard is going in order to tie your friends together across all the games. Basically, you'll probably see a Real ID friend online in WoW and will probably be more inclined to return to that game as well.
    The always online thing, i agree, is a bad turn in the gaming industry.

I myself, would always be online anyway, i never use the offline function in d2, never did.

But i would of like the choice, and also i think of the people without easy internet acces. In Denmark this is not really an issue, i have had 3 computer net partys play cs over my phones internet with no issue.

But not all has that easy access at lan partys.

Considering no websites seem to be able to give ratings lower than 8 nowadays i'm gonna go with that. I, however, would give it a 6 from what i've played in the beta. Tbh if I wasn't getting it for free because I play wow, I would probably not buy it.

Deleted
    lol ur comment is pretty invalid. u dont see how D3 will outlast SC2 multiplayer?. U cant rly compare these games but i will try for u lol.
    So u say u cant play same story over? I played Starcraft 2 a long time in diamong league not very good but solid. And I can say Starcraft 2 is the same Game over and over again pretty much every game u build same Buildings, Scout, it is always the same thing, ofc u adapt to enemy when u scout and change some things but in general u do the same thing over and over again and u dont even have a "real" Leaderboard unless ur in Grand Master/master. But below ur just in 1 "Bracket" with maybe 500 Players u can compare with didnt had a real feeling like i have for example in WoW Arena where i can compare my Rating World Wide.

So Diablo 3 is Over and Over again gameplay, but rly? EVERY Online game is pretty much the same over and over again. WoW or others MMORPG you Raid the same Bosses Over and Over without any rankings just to improve for "new inc bosses" or just for the lolz, some progress for first kills. Same will probably be with Diablo 3 in Updates who can get new Boss X on Insane down 1. ?.

I see much potential in Diablo 3, with different possible Abilites combos (cause ur limited to like 4 abilites of 12 u can chose of) then u have like 5 "Improves/Changes" avaible for every Spell. It may look small, but in late game you have LOTS of different builds. For me it feels kinda like "Magicka" for those who know it, u just have 6 Elements, but you can make over Millions of spellcombos with it. Cant wait for it, gonna play 3 Days straight at 0:00 with a Friend.

Most of the main VG sites are all hype-driven... so they'll get perfect scores due to the hype.

Reminds me of EGM back in the day. Right before GTAIII came out (prior to it being a hit, having absolutely NO HYPE behind it. Until Players got ahold of it and THAT started the hype) it got reviews of 7,8,9,10 - and the 10 was suspect as the reviewer turned out to be one of the voice contributors to the game.

Then, GTA: Vice City comes out (now GTA is an established "system blockbuster" with tons of hype), EGM gives it a perfect 10, 10, 10, 10...

Trust me... Diablo III is going to get perfect scores due to the hype behind it. MAYBE at least ONE review who makes it half a mark lower than the rest just to make it seem "rebellious" :P

In reviews I can easily see it getting 10/10. Also stylized (timeless) > photorealistic graphics are better for longevity of games like Diablo. It's a plus imo. May get a minus for lack of arenas at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasse View Post
    Considering no websites seem to be able to give ratings lower than 8 nowadays i'm gonna go with that. I, however, would give it a 6 from what i've played in the beta. Tbh if I wasn't getting it for free because I play wow, I would probably not buy it.
    yeah and i wouldnt rate portal 2 higher than a 6, but well.. thats a biased opinion and not a neutral review, isnt it?