Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is D3 only 4 player?

Hello I was wondering if D3 is going to be 4 player co-op it used to be 8 in D2 now they moved it down to four why so?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because with 8 it's utter chaos, and in D2 it never resulted in 8 players actually playing together, instead people split up and went in all sorts of different directions. Four players leaves much more room for actually playing together as a team. It also allows you to still see what's going on on your screen.

Remember when WoW had 25man raids?

Quote Originally Posted by iamjack View Post
    you mean 40......

I would think they would at least have co-op for as many classes as there are. When my friends and I were all playing D2, we agreed to each play a different class. It made it a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    you mean 40......
    I still remember EQ's 72 man raids, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynistra View Post
    I still remember EQ's 72 man raids, lol.
    Hail!
    I still remember when there was no cap.. ah the 100+ person zergs...

anyway about the 4 player cap, i never played d2 with more than just 2 players and am excited about getting 4 ppl going, i think its a good amount of players without causing some disconnect between them

10+ Year Old Account
    My Tin Foil Hat Theory is that they chose the magic number of 4 because Console split screens are usually 4 max. (I know you could play more then 4 ppl on a console games)

I mean why not 5 why not 3, what makes 4 the PERFECT number? i can only think of 4 way split screen for consoles.

4 is perfect, not too many not to little. Besides, I have enough of a hard time with the chaos that is 4 people. Anymore would be overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassfarmer View Post
    My Tin Foil Hat Theory is that they chose the magic number of 4 because Console split screens are usually 4 max. (I know you could play more then 4 ppl on a console games)

I mean why not 5 why not 3, what makes 4 the PERFECT number? i can only think of 4 way split screen for consoles.
    Knowing the direction console gaming is going, i.e. away from split-screen in general... no. 4 is just a 'typical' number. 3 was probably too small, 5 was probably too big. So, 4.

4 just seems too small. They did gut the pvp system and completely removed world pvp, so guess it doesn't matter that much .

On topic While its possible that 4 players (like Champions: Return to Arms) for consoles, its a long shot. Dungeon Seige 3 had 2 co-op in single system. Regardless, 8 -> 4 is a step backward.

@Caiada
    How did you conclude that 5 is a big number? Not saying it might not be true, just wondering whats your reason (hopefully not because blizz decided to make it 4).
    I dont mind people trying to justify why or how things turns out but at least give a good reason Oo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiatu View Post
    4 just seems too small. They did gut the pvp system and completely removed world pvp, so guess it doesn't matter that much .
    First of all, D3 have never been about PVP. The PVP will be added in a later patch so we will be able to pwn each other at a later stage

10+ Year Old Account
    Console had nothing to do with any decision for the PC game. It's 4 players because your screen becomes undecipherable with too many spell effects going off, and also because they want you to stick together as a group, and not have people wandering off to do something else (with 4 players, 1 player wandering off is more noticable than with 8 players, and blizzard said that you will die in later difficulties when you're fighting with only 3 people in a 4 player game)

Deleted
    They will probably add more players as the expansions will come.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjack View Post
    There's simply no chaos in a 25m... it's about the same as 10 men... i guess you mean 40 men raids.

Deleted
    Because of this: http: //xkcd.com/221/

(remove space)

10+ Year Old Account
    Waouw? Really only 4 players, that is quite sad when we are about 10 players that would like to play eachother, hoped for 8 like D2 ... That is a BIG MINUS imo... Pretty much limits ammount of fun with your friends..
    I fucking hope the fix it, otherwise it's just meh 4 it's just to few and if you want less, you can just like D2 LoD choose to be a "map" with max 4 people on it.
    Last edited by Rivenda; 2012-04-12 at 02:10 PM.
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    Waouw? Really only 4 players, that is quite sad when we are about 10 players that would like to play eachother, hoped for 8 like D2 ... That is a BIG MINUS imo... Pretty much limits ammount of fun with your friends..
    I fucking hope the fix it, otherwise it's just meh 4 it's just to few and if you want less, you can just like D2 LoD choose to be a "map" with max 4 people on it.
    It's extremely unlikely to change, 4 player was announced before the beta, and the beta has been running for over 6 months now with 4 player max.

It is a big minus indeed. I remember something to do with witch doctor in a way but cant fully remember it (Someone perhaps can remember it). I dont remember it being a valid reason though.

@Blitzdoctor
    Where did you get that number with many spells thing? While I agree with you on missing 1 out of 4 might be more noticable than 1 out of 8, that doesnt change anything.
    In fact, going with what you said, 3 is a much better number? Why not make it 2 so its more optimized? Some spells did cause some troubles for some computers (You probably can guess which ones). If they are afraid that some classes together would cause problems for some computers, they could have made those classes work perfectly fine on those computers without 8->4 thing (They got plenty of time to work on em anyway).

I dont know about you but Im sure most of us have better computers than what we had back in D2 days. Reading your post makes me wonder if they decided to make D3 based on the system requirements of D2 (Which I hope not). I know some at least that were playing with a group more than 4, well now its 4 max, so perhaps think in their shoes instead of yours for once.