Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

How old were you when you learned to drive?

As the title states, how old were you when you first started driving?

Did you start on stick or automatic?

Me, I think I was 14 driving an automatic in the backwoods when camping and my dad had a few beers. I didn't learn stick till I was 15 and did my drivers ed in a stick.

I just took my daughter out, she is 12, went to the high school parking lot and let her go with my truck. 5 speed and all and it only took 3-4 attempts before she figured out the gas+clutch for take off. Over the course of the next hour she only killed 3-4 more times and most of that was trying to start on an uphill.

At about 14-15 I had my first driving experience. I learnt how to properly drive at about 16 on automatic.

15+ Year Old Account
    19, learnt on a manual, been driving manual ever since. Parents recently got an automatic because it was supposidly a bargain buy and they needed to replace their car, turns out it wasn't such a bargain after all (they've had no end of trouble with it). It's a BMW btw, always hated them! Gimmie an Audi anyday

10+ Year Old Account
    automatic when I was 15.

10+ Year Old Account
    17...when it was legal..like a good boy...also manual ... i don't know anyone that drives an automatic car >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    17...when it was legal..like a good boy...also manual ... i don't know anyone that drives an automatic car >.<
    Lol everyone I know drives auto. That is mostly because there arent that many newer manual-based cars these days, my car is semi-auto, so I can drive manual whenever I feel like it, without the clutch anyway:P

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    19, learnt on a manual, been driving manual ever since. Parents recently got an automatic because it was supposidly a bargain buy and they needed to replace their car, turns out it wasn't such a bargain after all (they've had no end of trouble with it). It's a BMW btw, always hated them! Gimmie an Audi anyday
    BMW is shit for the last 10 years IMO. Even Mercedes has kinda gone to shit unless you pick up the AMG series.

After driving my buddies Audi TT, I can say I like the quattro and the powertrain, but I've seen better suspension on a golf cart.

was being taught to drive around 9-10 yrs old

I was 16. I started on an automatic. My dad taught me how to drive. Every sunday for about 5 weeks or so, he'd come pick me up and we would go to an empty school parking lot where I would drive around, practicing parking, and basically keeping it on the road. My dad and I had a really rough relationship prior to this, and it definitely paved the way to the relationship we have today, which is much better. I remember when he finally wanted me to attempt to drive on the highway, and I was absolutely terrified. I couldn't do it. I froze and pulled over. He eventually talked me into it. That was 10 years ago. It's kind of nice to sit back and think about it all, but it's also terrifying, because I can't believe it's been 10 years already.. where the hell did the time go?!

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard that people in the usa usually drive an automatic car is that true?

Deleted
    Born in a car

Dad drove rally, i drove folk race, been driving a truck, car, motorcykle, tracktor and what not.. so i cant really tell a age :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I was 19 (You need to be 18 in order to be allowed to drive here.) when I got my first lessons. It was stick, which is the most common in Belgium.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    BMW is shit for the last 10 years IMO. Even Mercedes has kinda gone to shit unless you pick up the AMG series.

After driving my buddies Audi TT, I can say I like the quattro and the powertrain, but I've seen better suspension on a golf cart.
    even though the new 5 Series/ M5 is arguably the best all round production car in the world right now.

Learnt to drive a car when I was about 10, passed my test as soon as I was 17, always manual. Automatic isn't driving.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

15 y/o learner's permit. Also I would say that yes probably most Americans drive automatic cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I heard that people in the usa usually drive an automatic car is that true?
    I dunno, most people do it now because its not about the driving experience for some people. they just wanna get in and go while texting, putting on make-up, whatever.

I drive stick because I love it. Auto is nice sometimes but I prefer stick.

15. Learned both stick and automatic. Thought I'm not so good on stick anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I dunno, most people do it now because its not about the driving experience for some people. they just wanna get in and go while texting, putting on make-up, whatever.

I drive stick because I love it. Auto is nice sometimes but I prefer stick.
    I would say it's less about being a driving experience as it is "I'm at point A but need to be at point B." While I don't condone texting, putting on make-up, etc. while driving I can see why people do it when commutes can be up to an hour or more.

16 legal, Auto because I was too lazy to learn manual. My bro has a manual car if i ever want to learn how to drive it.