Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Only way I can see AV being fixed is by removing it entirely from the random BG list, re-add all the removed npc's including the elites and allow bunkers/towers to not only remove a opposite general elite guard but also add one to your own general again, oh and remove the reinforcement system. This way AV is as close to as it can get to what it was supposed to be and only people who actually want to play AV for the fun of it will be there, meaning no more zergs from people who just want it over with.
    So you mean it will be dead?

Because that's what you would get.

Additionally, you'd have all the same problems the original had and you'd be adding crazy PvE back into it. If you really want PvE, I suggest the LFR system or just running regular raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decra View Post
    Perhaps they should add Gates to the bases that only open up once the towers in the field is destroyed. That would stop people from just zerging the boss and people will actaully defend towers.
    A friend and I have been talking about a similar solution as well. I don't understand why Blizzard doesn't implement it like this, and if it's all because of Alterac Blitz then surely they can redesign that achievement. Gates in front of the bases would solve the whole problem AV currently has that it is most games not really PvP. Everyone just runs to the other base and tries to kill it as soon as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... you are upset that you can't solo 40 man battlegrounds.

Neither can the Alliance. The Horde actually have an easier time with the first two towers; the tradeoff being that it's a tad easier to get all the way south than it is all the way north.

Yes, the game will favour one or the other in a zergfest with zero actual PvP just due to minutiae; it just happens to be the Alliance.
    If you actually play the game as it was meant to be played, these advantages would disappear.

In fact, the way the Alliance base is constructed, it's easy to bottleneck rezzers from the SPGY. There is no such bottleneck for the Horde, FWGY is wide open and rezzers can go any direction.

Each side has nuances to exploit. Having a carbon copy of the other's base wouldn't make the game interesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Decra View Post
    Perhaps they should add Gates to the bases that only open up once the towers in the field is destroyed. That would stop people from just zerging the boss and people will actaully defend towers.
    Best suggestion on this thread

Either add gates or simply add AV to the LFD where is belongs...

Its a PvE fight not PvP.

Deleted
    Then you had bad luck! I played like 20 AV this weekend and won 5. I'm Alliance.

Judging the thread it seems we can come to one conclusion; War isn't fair.

Who knew?

i love how folks love to claim there are no choke points going into horde base.really?really? there are 2, just like the narrow passage and bridge going into alliance base ,horde has the actual gate in and then the little building before you go up the hill(to the second gate) and in reality a 3rd choke point (or perhaps counting as 2 in 1) the second gate, all 3 of these points i have been choked and held at as alliance over the years more times than i care to count.bottom line .....horde has choke points into their base as well.ive done hundred,literally hundreds of AV's in all "versions" of the bg on both factions since day 1 it came out......

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I made a thread about AV long ago, but without changes it all stands true even today.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...age-more-facts

Thoughts?
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Thoughts?
    As the Horde have a statistically better win rate throughout all the other Battlegrounds, AV is where the Alliance can make up some ground.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Earenbane View Post
    its always been this way, personlly the problem was when they made it a zerg fest, no zerg fest, no advantage.
    Blizz did not make it a zerg fest, players did. I always drop back on defense. And I do what I can to encourage a turtle by recapping northern GYs (and bunkers) to force horde to spawn south. When was the last time Horde or Alliance defended mid mini bosses? These things are choices made by players, not Blizz. In the meanwhile I collect loot to turn in for buffs, etc. I even released the druids a few weeks ago.

---------- Post added 2012-04-11 at 06:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    As the Horde have a statistically better win rate throughout all the other Battlegrounds, AV is where the Alliance can make up some ground.
    That's not true for me. I have played about 6000 BGs as an Alliance and have a 53% win rate overall. The only BG I am significantly less than 50% is Battle for Guilneas where I'm at 46%. In SotA, AB, EotS, I am well above 50%

Horde will never defend. Their moto is a 10 min loss yields more honor than a 45 min win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    That's not true for me. I have played about 6000 BGs as an Alliance and have a 53% win rate overall. The only BG I am significantly less than 50% is Battle for Guilneas where I'm at 46%. In SotA, AB, EotS, I am well above 50%
    MMO-Champ did a survey on many characters a while back. Alliance were behind for every BG except AV.

Could ask chaud or Boubouille to do it again, I suppose, but I guess it hasn't changed much.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

People talking about walls in front of bases and fixing terrain issues will be sorely disappointed.

It's ironic, but stronger NPC's mean more PvP. If Blizzard weren't so lazy and would scale up the entire battleground every major content patch we wouldn't run into the issue of the NPC's dying when you look at them. We saw essences of old AV come back when they accidentally implemented the Cataclysm brackets in Wrath. It took a combined team effort to down the two captains and more than one person to assault graveyards and bunkers because the bowmen and guardians were powerful.

The fact that the generals at full power have less health than 10 man raids of expansions long gone — in a 40 player battleground — is a problem. Collecting enough crystals to make the Druids move should be threatening to the Horde: if you run across them on the way to Ivus's spawn point, expect a battle. At the moment if by some miracle you get them to move, they'll die before they even make it to the bottom of Dun Baldar North Bunker.

The game has evolved but the developers aren't interested in revamping this battleground. We could get rid of the level 60 trinket that will soon be 30 levels out of date and put the teleporting functionality on the tabards. Players shouldn't have to gimp themselves for wanting to defend. There's also no reason we can't have a longer lasting battleground when there are 8 more and world PvP zones to participate in. Not everyone wants everything over with in 10 minutes and would appreciate having something to do other than standing in Orgrimmar or Stormwind waiting for queues to pop.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with AV is that the strategy has become so mindless and unbending that if one team decides to play creatively, they will win.

I can't tell you how many games I have won by going to Balinda's room with 4-5 other people, focusing down the tanks and then cleaning up the rest.

Same thing if 5 or so people decide to go backcapping: gg.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I remember when AV was fun and not a rush.

I would really like it if they did no more changes to this once glorious battleground, no matter if it is to change "imbalances". It's been there since the start, and you pretty much have to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    I remember when AV was fun and not a rush.
    I do but it also got out of hand in vanilla. I remember servers having 4 day long av's, not sure what the record was but i know some of them were near a week long, that's absurd obviously. But now it's really really bad, it's nothing but a pve zerg. It is in no way shape or form fun for either faction, but people continue to do it because if you're pugging it is overall the best honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I have played both sides plenty and they each have some perks. Think it is pretty even at the end of the day.

I would like some change to it, though. As is it sucks. More pve than pvp.
    def not even. i also play both sides. looking at my statistics my ally win 60-70% of the time. i did all AV weekend on one of my hordes and it was not as great as remembered.

Was never anything wrong with AV, its the pps in it. Like @ Stormreaver, we loose cus pps arent capping what their supposed to do. None defs and camps a bunker (im horde yes) til its burned out.

Deleted
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've always had the idea of the bosses spawning at a later point. Not just be there and whoever is fastest wins. Maybe after you get all towers/bunkers they would say: "Hey whats going on out there?" and spawn. Or at least spawn 5min after the fight starts and not just be there right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Weider View Post
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've always had the idea of the bosses spawning at a later point. Not just be there and whoever is fastest wins. Maybe after you get all towers/bunkers they would say: "Hey whats going on out there?" and spawn. Or at least spawn 5min after the fight starts and not just be there right away.
    There's no need for that. Simply make it so that it's incredibly difficult to kill the generals with any towers still alive and that then forces people to take the towers. A lot of the fun I've had in Alterac Valley is ruining rush attempts or managing to wipe them when the general is at a low % of health. If the mobs were challenging AV would last longer.