Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    No.
    if they make you redundant or lay you off you are (in the UK at least) entitled to redundancy pay (a Lump sum of money) dont know if its the same where you are but its worth looking into.
    Do not under any circumstance quit your job, Finding work is hard enough as it is, no need to take money out of your pocket in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
    Definitely don't quit. Not sure if it is the same everywhere, but my understanding of unemployment benefits is that voluntarily leaving your job automatically disqualifies you from unemployment benefits. And while you may not want to live off the state, paying your bills, keeping the house, etc, is the important part, not your pride. That's my take on it.
    Pretty much what I had in mind.

To the OP: People get laid off all the time. If the people that got fired never found a new job, we wouldn't have an economy left. Especially in these times, HR people will understand how small conflicts can lead to the loss of your job. And from what you state in your post, it does seems like small conflicts between you and a company trying to keep its head above water. I understand it feels terrible, unthankful and hurts your pride (I sure as hell know it would hurt mine), but stepping out yourself without much to fall back on isn't the solution. And most important of all, it is not because they fire you, that 'the company' dislikes you as a person. You survived 3 layoff rounds already, which proves you are a capable worker. So you shouldn't let it hurt you too much.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starvethedead View Post
    You can not get unemployment benefits if you quit.
    Yes you can.

Deleted
    Ofcourse not!

You don't get the unemployment insurance if you quit.

Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    Yes you can.
    Not where im from. And probably not where that guys from.

Quitting vs firing has no real impact as any future job references can not ask specifically what happen with your employment. They are basically limited to time there and if they would rehire you.
    Basically I would just wait to see if I am getting fired but also in the mean time look for something else and job on it the second it comes around.
    "A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    Probably no. While there is a satisfaction is saying "you can't fire me, I quit" you will sound like the bad guy here.

Your best bet is to be apologetic and see what you can do to remain at work even if you hate it. When you find another job then you can quit. Normally I don't recommend "burning the bridge behind you" but if you know you will NEVER need these people for a recommendation get things off of your chest. It can make you feel better going forward. When you have things you needed to say, but didn't it can weigh on you. When I left my previous job I sat the manager down gave my two weeks and spent the next 20 minutes explaining why I felt he was unqualified for the position he is in and barely qualified as a human being. I felt so much better and those two weeks I was treated with more respect then I had for the previous two years.
    This guy has a good point.

Although I am usually defiant about things like this, I have the luxury of being able to tell people to go to hell. I still "read" a bit more into this than you are saying. There is no shame in being apologetic. If you have a personal issue with someone at work, ignore it. The "job" can't win. The "job" doesn't care. You win by them continueing to pay you till you find something better.

Do what you can to stay. Then, begin looking for something else. You have more bargaining power for a new position if you are already employed.
    My blog & rants: www.wocky.me

Quote Originally Posted by starvethedead View Post
    You can not get unemployment benefits if you quit.
    Correct. You also cannot receive unemployment for insubordination, etc. etc. So if money is an issue, don't tell your boss to fuck off, or you screw yourself for unemployment. If money is not an issue, get started on a new resume and put in your resignation letter. You can be still be screwed over by them if your new employer calls for a reference, but if you explain to your new job why you quit and don't just give them a load of BS, you will be much better off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would quit if you are certain...it shouldnt piss your wife off if you explain what you jsut said to us
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never quit a job, you can't collect unemployment benefits if you do. If they fire you, you still may be able to collect (depending on what you were fired for).
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Before you do anything I would have a long talk with your wife and go over you financial situation.

I personally would lean towards fighting to keep my job. Talk to your boss and see if he can't talk to HR about not firing you. If you are successful then do everything in your power not to get another mark. While you are working then keep looking for employment opportunities.

If it will provide you with some satisfaction, and not impact your chances of finding new employment, you could pull an epic "I quit this bitch" and go out in a blaze of glory. Or, you could just stop showing up, enjoy a nice week long vacation, and mail them your resignation.

I would stick it out until they canned you, doing as little work as possible to keep up the appearance of being at work. Employers are not allowed to discuss the reasons they let you go to a prospective employer, only the dates of employment and your official duties. Use that to your advantage, saying you stuck it out until the bitter end, when the inevitable lay off cut your position. That will look good to prospective employers.

Deleted
    I'm in a quite similar situation with my significant other, except that he's the one thinking about changing jobs. From that perspective I would say the best way to quit your job without pissing her off is to sit down and thoroughly talk about it with her before you make your decision. See what she has to say about it. If you really are confident in your ability to find a job and you are going to get fired in any case, seems to me she should agree with you that quitting now would be the best option in your situation. The only reason I can see here for her to get angry is if you just come home one day and declare that you quit without having explicitly agreed about it with her.

The best way to leave any employment is to make sure you are secured to get new employment. Once you are certain you have a job lined up, then submit your notice two weeks in advance. This is the courteous and professional thing to do. In the long run it only benefits you. You look professional and you don't burn any bridges which can come back to haunt you in the oddest ways. Plus you get to keep your old job on your resume in a positive light. When asked why you left your job you can state a better opportunity arose and I left on amicable terms.

Deleted
    I would wait it out and see if you do get fired or not..

If those three strikes are really the only 3 things that you have done wrong with the company, I would sue for wrongful termination. I know in the US at least there are laws about providing sick days and such so if you have a legit doctors note and they still fired you over that I would think you have a pretty good case there.

Stick it out till your HR meeting, if you do get fired you can at least file for unemployment and also you will need them as references for future employers. This isn't high school so this idea of work getting the last laugh isn't real it's not like they beat you at anything, you didn't comply with their policies therefore they are in the right and you are in the wrong.

Suck it up, be a man, hopefully they will understand your tardiness and give you another chance. If they do I'd say set your alarm clock back 15 min or so from what you do now to prevent any other lateness.

Or you could always poop on your bosses desk. Best of luck!

In most states in the US getting terminated for taking a day off with a doctors note is not an acceptable reason to fire someone, per labor boards and regardless of the companies policies. More than once I've had companies that started having financial issues intentionally try to fire me so I couldn't get unemployment and had it backfire on them. I've had no problems getting jobs after that. I just keep contact with some folks that I've worked for or with to use as references. In two cases they laid people off prior to making policy changes to thin the ranks. In one case they forced me to change shifts "temporarily" to cover for someone out on medical leave, then just terminated me after the person on medical leave returned then cited "attendance". In another, I put in a letter of resignation for a month out and they terminated me on the spot instead of waiting, resulting in me getting unemployment compensation for the balance of time between when I put the letter in and the date I gave them for the end of my employment (which I had a job lined up already which is why I put in my resignation letter). Of those, only one of them I ended up going a much longer period of time before being able to find work due to the economy and I needed the unemployment compensation to make it through. In the end, you need to look at the labor laws for your particular state or however they handle it in your particular country. Stick it out as long as you can bear while looking for another job, be professional and respectful, but don't pander to them or be scared of them. Document everything on your end. If they do terminate you, don't be afraid to claim what's owed to you. That is where your pride comes in. Stick it to them AFTER they unjustly terminate you.

Ugh being late to a job is disturbing. I'm always 15 to 30 minutes early for work.

Remove your ego and stick it out.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8