Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If they fired you for those reasons you should easily be able to get severance pay. If you quit, you will not. It's honestly pretty stupid to quit if you are going to get fired. New employers are going to ask why you left your old job AND call your old job of 6 years to verify, so there is really no difference there. Also, at only 25 getting fired isn't the be all end all during an interview at a new job, especially if the reasons you gave are true. Any decent employer would realize that you were terminated for a stupid reason.

Deleted
    When you go to your next job interview you can say they were laying people off instead of "I got fired". Looks better than QUITTING somewhere imo.

Getting fired due to the economy looks better than quitting.

I don't think you'll be getting fired. They can't legally fire you for calling in sick with the amount of time you've been working there.

if you're planning to quit, ALWAYS have a backup plan in place first. especially in this economy. i hated my last boss with a passion so i went out and found another job. i worked both jobs for a couple months to build up a little savings then i told my boss of and quit and my stress level has gone down significantly since i left that hellhole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb View Post
    Definitely don't quit. Not sure if it is the same everywhere, but my understanding of unemployment benefits is that voluntarily leaving your job automatically disqualifies you from unemployment benefits. And while you may not want to live off the state, paying your bills, keeping the house, etc, is the important part, not your pride. That's my take on it.

And leaving on your own vs. being let go doesn't look any better one way or another - you don't write "FIRED!" on your resume. Given the economy, people leaving jobs left and right, being let go left and right, it just doesn't matter. And either labor laws or just most company policies (not sure which) prohibit companies from disclosing why you left (to prevent you from suing then for slanderous information or whatever). So don't worry about that part.
    Going to back this guy up. If you already have another job lined up and waiting as soon as you terminate than quit. But it sounds like you don't. The unemployment can really make a huge difference so try and tough it out with them. I'd try going to HR and working with them to see what kind of compromise can be made. And if they won't cooperate then wait to be fired, as much as that sucks.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

I appreciate all the responses I've been getting on this, sorry I haven't been able to answer some questions and update what's going on but I'll do my best right now.

First of all, I live in the US and unemployment stuff differs by state (it seems anyway) and in a nutshell, I'm only eligible for unemployment if I lose my job through no fault of my own. For my situation, losing my job due to this attendance policy is indeed a fault of my own.

Secondly, I should restate from my original post that I don't plan on doing any "you can't fire me cuz I quit lololololol" or any shenanigans like that. I was in a bit of a venting mode, but I would be as professional as I could be given the circumstances.

Third, tomorrow is the end of the work week for me (which. historically is when I've seen people get fired most often over these 6 years) and I'm certain it's coming. The HR person my department normally deals with, outside of emergencies, was actually on vacation and just came back today. My supervisor was in a meeting with the HR contact for the last 3 hours of my shift today as I knew she was going to be meeting with her to discuss what's going on.

Fourthly...yes I had horrible luck this morning. In short, my car did not start because I left my lights on all night I plan to leave early when I can to compensate for traffic as needed (though leaving so early in the morning, there really isn't unless the weather is bad) but I didn't count on my car not starting, I quickly called my supervisor as I got my wife's car and figured out how to give myself a jump (which, I AM NOT skilled at, at all) and ended up being late...again...horrible luck, and even worse timing.

Lastly...I really don't anticipate myself (bad economy aside) unemployed for long as there really are a good amount of acceptable jobs available in my area, I have good connections and worse comes to worse, I can always work where my parents do...should it really need to come to that. Also, so long as I get a job within a month, there really won't be a gap to speak of since I've typically always seen applications like: "Worked at xyz company from 05/06 to 07/10 then left voluntarily and started working at 123 company from 07(or 08)/10 to current. I could also explain a month or more absence from work to as needing to help family, needing to take extra classes at school, etc. without it being a "bad" reason for voluntarily leaving.

Anyways, given the topic of "quit or get fired" I was perfectly fine with getting fired due to the unemployment benefit, but now that I know that's not an option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundmax View Post
    Hey All,
    In the last year or so since the most recent round of layoffs (I've survived 3 rounds), this place has become really hell-bent on their policies and procedures. Essentially, this place has just about the strictest "3 strikes" type of rule you can imagine. In the span of 3 months you can't get 3 strikes. For strike one I was late due to horrible winter road conditions even though I left early and called while driving to let work know what was going on. Strike 2 I was literally ONE minute late another day, and strike 3 happened at the end of last week as I called in sick and even though I brought in a very detailed (2 page) doctors note, I will be getting randomly pulled this week to talk to HR and "discuss my job" here. It clearly states in the policies and procedures that at this point, I will be up for termination and for working here for 6 years. believe me, I've seen it (and far crazier things) happen.
    Since you have a detailed doctor's note for strike three, and the fact they are laying people off, you could very easily claim false dismissal, fired you rather than having to make someone else redundant and pay a lump sum.

If you quit rather than be fired, you will lose out on benefits for a considerable amount of time (depends on how easily you can get another or if you have enough money to live off for that period of time).

Not sure how it would work but maybe fight the third strike, claiming you have a doctors note so firing him with that as one of the reasons is illegal, and you will fight it, but then also hint at being voluntarily made redundant, you will get the lump sum and imagine you can get benefits straight away, and you were made redundant rather than fired which looks better on your CV

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Unless you can prove that you had good reason to quit, in which case, you can. Having been in a job where my manager was constantly pointing out that "i was going to be fired" as if taunting me to lash out at her, refusing to get replacement safety equipment that they agree to supply because "she was going away on Holiday the next day", and outright shouting at people before first asking questions, i can say that quitting a job like that and giving the reasons will make it more favourable to your side. <snip>
    What your talking about there is Constructive dismissal and is taken very seriously. I had a tribunal rule in my favor when I was forced to resign due to work place stress and the company involved done nothing to alleviate it.

Leave a note for the owners saying everything that anyone there ever did to wrong you! Rude, long notes are generally the best way to get things changed!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundmax View Post
    Hey All,

So here's the situation. I'm 25 and I've been working at my current Job since Jan '06, I had left my previous job of 3 years (yes, I entered the work force young) to come to my current job via a former co-worker & friend (though I didn't know him before working with him) had referred me. A lot has changed in 6 years, I've worked overnight weekend shifts pretty much on a constant basis week in and week out, I met my wife and got married after switching to days, though still working 12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week and among other things, for that reason I have been casually searching for a different job for a couple months now. I've had a couple interviews and though it seemed promising at first, nothing really has panned out so far. I don't have a degree but I am working towards one even though my time really has been monopolized by my work since on the days that I do work, I'm either at work or sleeping.

In the last year or so since the most recent round of layoffs (I've survived 3 rounds), this place has become really hell-bent on their policies and procedures. Essentially, this place has just about the strictest "3 strikes" type of rule you can imagine. In the span of 3 months you can't get 3 strikes. For strike one I was late due to horrible winter road conditions even though I left early and called while driving to let work know what was going on. Strike 2 I was literally ONE minute late another day, and strike 3 happened at the end of last week as I called in sick and even though I brought in a very detailed (2 page) doctors note, I will be getting randomly pulled this week to talk to HR and "discuss my job" here. It clearly states in the policies and procedures that at this point, I will be up for termination and for working here for 6 years. believe me, I've seen it (and far crazier things) happen.

So basically, my situation is this...I know I'm going to be on my way out of here and my wife is aware of that as well. After being unhappy with my job for years, yet sticking it out anyway for the hopes of something better (there was a job posting a year ago for a position/promotion very ideal for me but they withdrew it because of a round of layoffs had just occurred and this position was no longer deemed necessary), I really, REALLY, don't want to have my job get the last laugh. I don't want to do anything immature or something that would put me at risk for getting sued (also something I've seen someone do) but I'm really looking for advice as to what I should do here and how I can leave in a way that doesn't make me or my resume look bad and that my wife can be ultimately ok with as well. I was thinking of telling my wife something along the lines of "I overheard my management talking about letting me go at the end of the week, so I just wanted to leave on my terms, etc." but I've never really thought I would be in this position before.

As a final note, let me also add that I am not concerned with finding a new job, I know the economy sucks, etc...but I have plenty of friends and family to look to for any job connections and as far as my wife goes, I'm willing to use my dad's lawn mower and start cutting peoples grass (a summer job I used to have) here and there for any extra cash I can possibly earn.

TL;DR version...I'm losing my job soon, but I don't want to give them the satisfaction. Can I quit in a way that wont piss my wife off?
    It's pretty simple really.

Stay to please your wife and get fired and have fun explaining that at your next job interviews...

Or leave and tell your wife to grow up.

no, if you quit, you cant sue for wrongful discharge or whatever its called. also depends on paycheck to working time. my performance would probably drop though
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think you should get the last laugh by quitting, like many people here mentioned, you won't get unemployment. So while it may hurt your pride to have your dick of a boss fire you, at least you won't be completely broke for a few weeks.

I don't know how your boss(es) are, or co-workers, but I know my company is a bag of douches. We don't have strict policies, but we have tons of bullshit going on. It's like a ridiculously dramatic high school in a soap opera, just no one is getting each other pregnant. I have fought with the same idea you are. Punch my bosses (I have 5) in the face with a spiked club & quit, or just stay on board til I get fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aired
    Our raid leader went AFK mid nef attempt and all he said was 'BRB GF's naked'

Not sure if it's been posted before, but being made redundant is not the same as being fired. Being made redundant implies no fault or error on your part so there's no need to quit beforehand.

Edit: reads post properly. if you're certain your employment will be terminated, then yes, resign. Looks better for future employers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Ya i think Karadros got it right sadly..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    Sylvanas is flawless and should be canonized as a saint.

quit. working the corner's a tough job!

Deleted
    Nope.
    If I really hate the job and I KNEW they will fire me soon, I will fight tooth and nail against it.

Make em bleed to get rid of me, and also... I won't get any benefits whatsoever if I willingly quit.

Deleted
    Depends on the rules where you live..

Fx here in Denmark getting fired from a job you had more than 3 month (I think it is) will entitle you to 3 months salary and quitting will give you nothing..

Deleted
    I donno the laws of your country, but i assume you would forfeit some benefits from quitting,

10+ Year Old Account
    isn't it illegal to fire people (or use it as a partial cause) for an illness, i mean you did have a doctors note... and one minute late ONE minute? wth....

first one...they can say you should of planned ahead...second and third...

make sure you get those (three strikes) in writing, take it before a jury when you sue them(or if that's to annoying, at least you will have something for your next employer to look at)

if i was interviewing someone and they said they got fired because they were sick, and brought in a doctors note...i would think they are lying...
    get it in writing, and let them fire you, don't bend over and quit.

also look up the legality of firing someone because they were sick...doc's note and all.
    Last edited by Christan; 2012-04-12 at 10:01 AM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

I would quit. The first and only time I was fired, I went through unemployment and I got it. After one week of unemployment, my prior employer appealed it, claiming that I was fired for essentially breaking the rules and not "let go" due to budget cuts or what have you. They scheduled a hearing the morning of my birthday (365 days in a year and they schedule a hearing about something that should have been rightfully mine on my birthday), so I'd have to miss a day of pay at my new job to fight this. Naturally, I didn't show. They then recalled or whatever the money I had received from unemployment. I attempted to appeal it, but my request was denied. Now my entire state refund this year was "comped" to cover part of what I owe them. So yeah, unemployment is overrated and a pain in the ass to deal with. And if you think you have the connections and means to land a job, you certainly won't need it.

I agree with the first few posters in that quitting will look better on your resume as you can say virtually anything: "I was looking to put my skills to better use" or "I felt like I was stuck with no room to improve" or whatever the hell you want to say. If you're fired, they'll contact your employer and get the scoop. Lying is great for interviews and such, but not when the truth can be easily collected. Though, if you have connections as you say to get another job, whether you quit or get fired won't have much of an effect as the person you know at the job can vouch for you.

-Judge

Nope, if you quit you don't get a severance package.