Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    No point asking this tbh, If you hate your job + you know you are getting fired then why not quit it?

I just walked out of my job on 4/08/2012 from walmart....got tired of the bullshit. I was scheduled a 5am shift, came in at 7 (overslept, hated the job anyway and didn't care. I pretty much never came in at 5am, too fucking early.) They had so much freight, and the guy before me didn't come in that night, and no closer the night before.

I walked to management, asked for help....they said they had no one to send. I walked back to my department (produce) starred at the 10 pallets in the back room and said fuck this. Clocked out and went home.

I have a wife and kid as well, no backup money....but I didn't care, I wasn't happy with my job at all and was depressed. It all worked out though, I started at a new repossession company today....hopefully this one works out better than the last.

getting a strike for being late even though you contacted them before hand sounds highly unfair and something you could fight against, and the sick one too. You had given them information as to why this should not count towards you being fired, if that happened to me, I would fight them in court for unfair dismissal.

No way that I would quit if i knew for sure that i'm getting fired. At least in my home state you cannot collect unemployment from a job if you decide to quit. But if you are fired you can collect unemployment for a percentage of your paycheck to help keep some income rolling in while finding a new job...

Quote Originally Posted by starvethedead View Post
    You can not get unemployment benefits if you quit.
    I don't believe you can get unemployment benefits if you get fired either.

I would try to find another job, but if they pull you in, ask them to leave at that point instead of getting fired (I don't know if that works, but I wouldn't have the nerve to quit without having a job lined up).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, like most people are saying, I'd quit before I got fired if I was able. Looks better on a resume.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Quitting would definitely look better on your resume than being fired.
    Actually, what he needs to do is get a get a second job ASAP. Then quit, and put on the resume that you took a new job offer for blahblah reason.

I was actually fired once myself. But I was working two jobs the entire time, so I don't even bother to ever put the job I got fired from on my resume. It effectively doesn't exist. I just list the other job and I have no gaps in employment.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes since it looks better on a resume.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Another trick to do is pick up a seasonal job. Something where the work is spotty. Then just list it as continuous employment. No employment gaps.

I work for a political campaign office on the side. Sometimes they have work. But there can be dry spells for 6-12 months. I go in when I can to help out. But I could list it as continuous employment, as I am basically "on call".

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    I don't believe you can get unemployment benefits if you get fired either.

I would try to find another job, but if they pull you in, ask them to leave at that point instead of getting fired (I don't know if that works, but I wouldn't have the nerve to quit without having a job lined up).
    Huh? If you can't get unemployment if you quit, and you can't get them when you're fired, when would anyone ever collect unemployment?

Not sure about every state, but where I am you get unemployment if you're fired, but not if you quit.

It depends on your location.
    It looks better on a resume, but in a lot of countries, you don't actually get unemployment welfare if you quit your job yourself. What's more, you build up the right to that welfare (and therefore the period over which you receive it) while working.
    If you've already got your next job at the ready, then quit. If not: Get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    Huh? If you can't get unemployment if you quit, and you can't get them when you're fired, when would anyone ever collect unemployment?

Not sure about every state, but where I am you get unemployment if you're fired, but not if you quit.
    I heard in California, you get employment immediately if you are laid off or fired. If you quit, they research your case to determine what happened, and that takes about a month before you get benefits. I know some people going through this, but never have myself.

wait to get fired then nail there azz for every dime of unempolyment you can

Can't get unemployment if you quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post

You cant get unemployment if you were fired for something wrong that you did. The employer will simply deny it bc he had to fire you for not doin your job up to par...If you are let go bc your department is being minimized or eliminated, then you can collect unemployment.

I wouldn't quit if I was getting fired. But if I had come into money I would quit like this:

Deleted
    You're quite the skilled necromancer Skomoto.

"Would you quit the job you hate if you knew you were getting fired?"

The answer to that question alone is yes, even if i were not going to be fired.
    Problem is people are so easily "corrupted" by the idea of loaning and paying over a long period of time, that many times they arent able to simply quit a job due to all the shit they have to pay...

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't bother to read your essay so I'll just answer your thread title.

Yes and I have done so.

I was working for an electronics retailer for a 2 years or so part time to pay for certain expenses throughout college. I knew things weren't looking good in terms of sales numbers and work hours. I knew the manager of the department was looking to slice off some people's hours and if he can cut off a worker or two to save the store's money then it would be great for him. One day, I arrived late to work. I am not usually late to work, but my manager pulled me aside after I finished doing all the hard work and spoke to me about some BS about he can't have employees always late and how he has a business to run. And he pretty much hinted, either I leave on my own or I get fired. The timing couldn't be anymore perfect. I was graduating in a month and was going to need full time commitment to look for a job that I studied 4 years for. Anyways, I told him I quit and left. I go check out the store once in a blue moon and dang, have things gone to the shit hole since I left. Not saying I was that important, just saying how the bad management of this store and the corporation has really taken this retailer spiraling down.

Deleted
    I wouldn't and the reason is simple , in my country if a company lays you of they often needs to compensate you (ie i got around
    60.000 euro's before taxes when i got fired from my last job because they outsourced my work to india :/ ) and if we quit ourselfs we would also loose our rights to unemployment benefits (70% of last pay for 1 year , it's an insurance you pay for while working basicly). So quiting would just hurt me financially.
    Last edited by mmocffc62feb06; 2013-01-26 at 10:36 AM.