GW2 - Is the Thief Melee or Ranged ?

I've played a rogue for 5,5 years in WoW. Im burnt of from WoW, and Im really really excited for Gw2.

Seeing I love assasin types, such as the rogue, my first pick for gw2 would of course be the Thief class

But I see that they can use guns and a dagger, now this seems fine to me that people can use dual daggers, dual guns or a mixed combo
    But Personally, I would love to use dual daggers only

Now does anyone know how this will effect gameplay? Is there anyone there that has tried gw2 beta with a thief. I Just really would like to know if the Thief is an excellent class as a pure melee class.

Thanks in advance.

What are you going as in Gw2?
    My dad once told me that aslong as religion existed, even I could make my own fantasy buddys

Can be both.

Can be both. Supposedly its all a matter of situational appropriateness. Sometimes a ranged weapon works better, others times melee.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-04-09 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    The thief is neither a ranged nor a melee class.

It is a harassment class.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no such thing as a ranged or melee class in GW2.
    Every class is just as effective in melee as they are at range.

There is another thread similar to this one, http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...re-Melee-Class.

You can attempt pure melee but you will be limiting yourself. There should be situations where ranged is a better option and vice versa, so an optimal playstyle will favor using a variety of weapons depending on combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    There is no such thing as a ranged or melee class in GW2.
    Every class is just as effective in melee as they are at range.
    This. Just have to change your mindset in thinking that each profession has a dedicated (melee or ranged) playstyle.

Deleted
    Every weapon set is (supposed to be) viable. So the best answer is: both. It can be pure melee with DW dagger and a sword/dagger weapon set or pure ranged with DW pistol and a shortbow weapon set. And a lot of combinations of weapons are possible as well. I plan on going DW dagger and a sword/pistol weapon set for heavy mobility myself.

There are generally two types of professions in this game: pure ranged and hybrid melee/ranged. Pure ranged are casters like mesmers and elementalists, while hybrids can be rather different, from engineers who are mainly ranged with only a few melee options to warriors who have a lot of melee and few ranged options.

Notably even purely ranged casters will care about range to the enemy. Elementalist with daggers will do more damage being close to the enemy, and mesmer with a great sword will do most damage at extreme range.

And of course, even purely ranged classes can pick up a melee weapon to fight if they so choose.

Thief seems to be fairly balanced in this regard, having significant amount of both ranged and melee options.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can be both. If you want to play a stabby-stabby rogue-type you could just take Dagger/Dagger and Sword/Pistol. Or take Dagger/Dagger and use whatever you like in the second weapon set, and switch when needed.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcatabeta View Post
    I've played a rogue for 5,5 years in WoW. Im burnt of from WoW, and Im really really excited for Gw2.
    first you must unlearn everything you know

seriously.. Guild Wars 2 is a WORLD BETTER and DIFFERENT than the Stale Bread WoW has become

your very first question.. is thief melee or range?

all classes can be both.. it doesn't restrict you

PLAY THE WAY YOU WANT TO PLAY

you're more comfortable being melee? by all means go pure melee.. ranged? same thing..

you have to seriously unlearn what you know..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    There are generally two types of professions in this game: pure ranged and hybrid melee/ranged. Pure ranged are casters like mesmers and elementalists, while hybrids can be rather different, from engineers who are mainly ranged with only a few melee options to warriors who have a lot of melee and few ranged options.

Notably even purely ranged casters will care about range to the enemy. Elementalist with daggers will do more damage being close to the enemy, and mesmer with a great sword will do most damage at extreme range.

And of course, even purely ranged classes can pick up a melee weapon to fight if they so choose.

Thief seems to be fairly balanced in this regard, having significant amount of both ranged and melee options.
    There are no purely ranged professions neither. Mesmers have one-handed swords (melee), Necromancers can use one-handed axes and daggers, Elementalists need to be really close-range when using daggers, Rangers have (two-handed) swords and daggers, etc. And while warriors have few(er) ranged option, it is still very possible to make a 100% ranged warrior. Just equip a rifle or a bow and useful utility skills and you're ready to go. Everything is/can be melee, or ranged or sometimes both at the same time.
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2012-04-09 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    There are no purely ranged professions neither. Mesmers have one-handed swords (melee), Necromancers can use one-handed axes and daggers, Elementalists need to be really close-range when using daggers, Rangers have (two-handed) swords and daggers, etc. Everything is/can be melee, or ranged or sometimes both at the same time.
    Not everything can be melee (necromancers and elementalists are the exception, here) but everything has a viable weapon that is 'close range'.
    Like, to be a dagger elementalist you're still not a MELEE in the use of the word we're used to, but you ARE a close range caster.
    Like, you're technically still a range IMO, because you're out of arm's reach. :P

But every class besides those two can be easily defined as both melee AND ranged, as they have viable weapons in each category.

Equally effective with both, I never played the beta but I have played at pax and dual daggers is what I went with and it's a lot of fun... if you every played GW1 death blossom is nothing like it is in GW2, it's aoe and looks awesome

It seems that most, if not all, professions in this game can fill either role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcatabeta View Post

Seeing I love assasin types, such as the rogue, my first pick for gw2 would of course be the Thief class

But I see that they can use guns and a dagger, now this seems fine to me that people can use dual daggers, dual guns or a mixed combo
    But Personally, I would love to use dual daggers only

Now does anyone know how this will effect gameplay? Is there anyone there that has tried gw2 beta with a thief. I Just really would like to know if the Thief is an excellent class as a pure melee class.

Thanks in advance.

What are you going as in Gw2?
    Not much else to say here that hasn't been said...

But I surely plan to do what the situation calls for. Prefer dagger/dagger with pistol/pistol for a swap. But we'll see what happens.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.