Thread: Solo top

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Solo top

I recently joined a ranked team and have been assigned the role of solo top. I am an overall good player but I am asking for some help with counters in the top lane, who counters who, and maybe a list of the solo top champions. I could also use some tips regarding the top lane, thank you in advance!

Gangplank, nid, yorick,udyr, keenan and vlad, some good champions to try out. There all safe pick as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wickd (One of the best Top's in the world) released a Google Doc on Top Lane Counter's a while ago. Here it is. One thing to keep in my is that he plays at & with people at a much higher level than you, so matchups won't always go the way you expect them to. It also might be a bit old, but it's a start. Reddit has some great resources for Solo Top Players. Watch Dyrus, Wickd, or Westrice's streams for solo top gameplay.

Try to Learn Kennen, Warwick, Ryze, Olaf, Riven. Kennen beats most champions without gap closers. Ryze beats Kennen. Warwick beats nearly everything. Olaf beats Warwick and pretty much all the rest of them melee bruisers. Kennen beats olaf. So you have pretty much a chain of champions that beat each other under the right circumstances. Aslong as you get to counter, you should be fine--if you are as you say, a good player. For the times when you don't get to pick a counter, Riven is still a safe pick which has relatively little weaknesses in lane.

Lee Sin comes up a lot so i'll say some words about him aswell. Lee is a counterpick. Always remember that. Many people forget that and it ultimately costs them the game. Lee sin is not a late game champion. As with all the other physical casters without steroids, he falls off late game in comparison to someone like Shyvana or Olaf or whatever. If you pick Lee and passively farm with your opponent for 30 minutes, you will get outclassed. And hard at that. You only pick him as a counterpick to dominate the lane and end the game quickly.
    Signature by Tacy :]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Wickd (One of the best Top's in the world) released a Google Doc on Top Lane Counter's a while ago. Here it is. One thing to keep in my is that he plays at & with people at a much higher level than you, so matchups won't always go the way you expect them to. It also might be a bit old, but it's a start. Reddit has some great resources for Solo Top Players. Watch Dyrus, Wickd, or Westrice's streams for solo top gameplay.
    That list from Wickd doesn't quite make sense... maybe i'm just blind, but half of the champions he hasn't written anything for like 50% of the champions... It's nice (and correct) where he has written something... But what about all the blank spots :<?

Deleted
    try searching mobafire forums. may be more info there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteymus View Post
    If you have to use some kind of guide site, use Lolpro. Mobafire is quite frankly... well, shit.

Deleted
    there are many sites that can be used, all of which better than one which is primarily WOW focused.

Deleted
    there are many sites that can be used, all of which better than one which is primarily WOW focused.
    But this is the LoL subforum ergo it fits quite nicely here.

Deleted
    He released it in an unfinished state, because people kept nagging him about it. Try this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...E&toomany=true

This list contains a few errors as well. For example with Yorick. Every lane vs Yorick is a farm/win lane for Yorick, except Trundle who beats him.
    Last edited by mmoc6fe37399a4; 2012-04-16 at 02:06 PM.

Please don't tell people to use Mobafire. Please use solomid instead.

Mobafire is 90% trolls/kids/lolbuilds. Someone tries a build, gets fed by some tard in lane and thinks 'Huh, must be because of the build!' and votes it up.

But as to counterpicks, I'd focus more on learning some really safe tops, that don't really have counters. Riven, for example, has some 'less favourable matchups', but no one outright beats her in lane. Same with Udyr, to an extent Vlad, and all those sorts. Nasus is always awesome if you're opponent picks a passive laner, or if you just like afk farming (like me!).
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

I tried to use Solomid, but jeez, the layout on that site is so screwed up. Mobafire is just so much more clean and easier to find what you want.

LOLpro is an even better resource than Solomid, IMO. The guides are written by pro players known for that particular champion or map position. Layout, readability, quality of information and access to that information are the best I have seen on a LOL related site as well.

To wit~ Doublelift's Blitzcrank, Pobelter's Udyr or Nyjacky's Veigar.

As always, it's worthwhile to read more than one site and make good decisions based on that info.

Wow, that looks a LOT better than Solomid did for me. I still like Mobafire's best, but LoLPro's looks good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    LOLpro is an even better resource than Solomid, IMO. The guides are written by pro players known for that particular champion or map position. Layout, readability, quality of information and access to that information are the best I have seen on a LOL related site as well.

I've seen some -very- poor guides on Lolpro. Additionally, they mostly only have one guide per champion, meaning that whatever someone says is gospel no matter how good that guide is.

As to the layout on Solomid, for some reason the last couple days it's been completely screwed up. Not sure what happened, but a lot of the formatting disappeared.

As always, it's worthwhile to read more than one site and make good decisions based on that info.
    Couldn't agree more.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend lolpro. That Udyr guide you linked? It mentions dodge runes and masteries. Some of their stuff is good, but Solomid or Mobafire is a lot better. I prefer Solomid over Mobafire, but neither is perfect and I've had to use both depending on the champ (Blitz has shit on solomid but a lot of good guides on mobafire). In the end it comes down to personal preference, but you should definitely use both. Just not lolpro.

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend lolpro. That Udyr guide you linked? It mentions dodge runes and masteries.
    I'm sure there are Solomid and Mobafire guides also out of date as the game changes. Happens. Guide sites aren't an excuse to not apply one's own intelligence to builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there are Solomid and Mobafire guides also out of date as the game changes. Happens. Guide sites aren't an excuse to not apply one's own intelligence to builds.
    Yes, but you can tell which guides are out of date on Solomid or Mobafire and pick one that isn't. On lolpro you don't have that choice, and for new players who need guides the most they will be incredibly confused.

Mobafire makes me lol. Don't bother with that shithole if you're looking for a build that works in ranked unless you want to get raged at by your team (then again most teammates rage anyway). Yes Lolpro is a good site and so is solomid. Each site has its merits. Some guides on Lolpro I can agree with and some I disagree with. Same with Solomid. But at the end of the day following a guide like its the fucking bible is just bad, and I wish people would think for themselves for once and figure out what they are comfortable with and what they don't like and work with it.