Thread: Pay to Win?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    EDIT:

Further research has lead me to retract my statement. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

It's the TF2 model, everything you can buy with cash is also available (with a greater investment of time) in game
    Except unlike TF2 you're less enslaved to the random number gods

Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    Looks like they're actually pretty worried about players getting upset based on what they have planned.

See http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazin...test-showdown/

For example "
    "Guild Wars 2 took on a protective stance... publisher-wide ban... easy tracing on who smuggled... Talk about high security. But it makes sense given that they’re now testing the Guild Wars 2 microtransactions store, whose future revenues can seriously tank under negative early flack."
    Well no kidding,
    of course it's a bad thing for Arenanet to have all these WoW kids jumping on forums going "GAME IS PAY TO WIN, YOU SEE THESE LEAKS? BROKEN GAME, DON'T PLAY."
    While they may have no point, and be completely wrong, it's a terrible image for a game that's not out to be getting.

(That wasn't a stab at anyone in this thread, just saying in general.)

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    You and I reach max level at the exact same time. I shell out large sums of real money to get all the best gear right away. You don't have those resources and spend large sums of time working for your gear.

That seems fair and balanced to you?
    WHAT BEST GEAR?
    Have you not read any other posts in this thread?
    Gear upgrades in GW2 are horizontal. Someone who has been 80 for a year in GW2 will be just as powerful as someone who just hit 80 gear-wise, as the game is SKILL BASED not GEAR BASED. Not a hard concept to grasp.
    You get the 'best gear' as soon as you hit 80 for pretty much free.

cant you guys do searches this shit was brought up weeks ago.

How does buying gems for real money that you use to increase exp gains, karma gains or even glory gains any different than reaching point thresh holds in WvW that gives the ENTIRE SERVER these same benifits but last 2 freaking weeks!!!!!!!!!

GW2 is not pay to win. Its pay 2 have more character slots, pay to look better than most, and pay if you want to spend less time actually farming content.

GW2 is play to win. If your paying you prolly dont have much time to play the game or your an idiot. Or your trying to sell gems and make a ton of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    EDIT:

Further research has lead me to retract my statement. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.
    Fair enough. Forgive my frothing at the mouth, this subject has just been beaten to death and is making me want to Columbine all over the place.
    (Too soon?)

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Fair enough. Forgive my frothing at the mouth, this subject has just been beaten to death and is making me want to Columbine all over the place.
    (Too soon?)
    You are now in stage 2. Stage 1 was you are excited about the game and help anyone even repeated posts. Stage 2 is you are now annoyed. Stage 3 is when you pick a fight with everyone and stage 4 is you just don't care anymore.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

this article is indeed true... but you can't buy gear with gold you need other currency's for that and those can't be bought with real money.

The gear in Guildwars 1 is 90% cosmetic the only thing that changes is the armor rating from 30 for a low level to 70 for a max level. the most beautiful gear is the hardest to get and it worked perfectly.
    they did say that they would add more stats in guildwars 2 so you can focus on a certain stat or balance it to your will but it's nothing that can all of a sudden make someone all powerful versus the other people.

what they will never do is sell you a weapon or another item that gives you an advantage over other players in the game. you can't just buy the game, get a +500% exp item too boost yourself to max level then buy all the gear on the shop and be all maxed out in like 3 days.

and from what I have heard from people in the beta gold is the least important currency for gear. you can buy bags, minipets, some drinks/potions, crafting mats.

and since in pvp everyone uses the same gear it won't matter anyway

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You are now in stage 2. Stage 1 was you are excited about the game and help anyone even repeated posts. Stage 2 is you are now annoyed. Stage 3 is when you pick a fight with everyone and stage 4 is you just don't care anymore.
    I still help when possible in my posts.
    This subject, however, is not one I am willing to take any kind of "Oh, it's okay, he's just uninformed. The lil' cutie." stance on.
    It's hard to be calm when your eyes are bleeding all over your white shirt.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    making me want to Columbine all over the place.
    (Too soon?)
    Rofl. That comment made me lol.

Just report and move on daarksoul is always trying to stir shit up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This subject makes me want to die.
    I was laughing for a while ... almost wanted to call it a troll, but you get infraction for that so I resisted ^^.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    No because GW items aren't like other games. As far as stats go.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Rofl. That comment made me lol.

Just report and move on daarksoul is always trying to stir shit up in here.
    Oh wow, I just looked at his history of started threads.
    Locked, locked, open, open, locked locked locked locked..

But yeah, I wasn't replying to him, I was replying to Twot.

The disconnect most people seem to be having is exactly what value real money has within the game. Real money buys gems that can only be used in the cash shop. Gems only purchase items in the cash shop. Gems can be sold for in game gold to people who want to buy something at the cash shop.

Now, only the player base will be able to dictate the value of those gems. You may use your real life money to purchase a warehouse of gems, hoping to get rich selling them to other players who would in turn use them in the cash shop. However, you may just end up with a virtual pack of buggy whips.

Tbh, at this point I wouldn't even care if the cash shop had gear with stats on it, and yes, this is different from my opinion I had a couple months ago.

IF the cash shop had stat gear it would be anything better that you could get in the game, so I really don't care. In PvP there wouldn't be an advantage since stats are scaled up to lvl 80 anyway. For PvE, in this case, I wouldn't care if someone got something instantly and I had to work for it, because I plan on enjoying the work I have to do to get something. If I'm not enjoying it then I'm just flat out not enjoying the game so what's the point of playing anyway.

It won't be something you have to worry about it though. I'm just saying that if this were the case I personally wouldn't care.

Oh, I think I see what you're trying to say.
    There's another thread that points out that there is no progression in the game and everyone max level has the same exact gear.
    It's hard to believe honestly, because it would seemingly make endgame pointless.
    Though GW1 wasn't an mmo, so maybe GW2 isn't supposed to have an endgame, not sure how this is going to work really...
    Not feeling optimistic - would almost prefer pay to win over no end game and no progression..
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

We're not having this discussion again.