View Poll Results: Why did you pick your Priest?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lore

10 4.59%
  • Flavor of the Month

3 1.38%
  • Class Mechanics

173 79.36%
  • DPS/Healing Hybrid

27 12.39%
  • Looks Good in Armor

5 2.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I put my vote into Class Mechanics.

I love my Priest to bits. She's my very first class. I used to be MS Shadow before I joined my main raid group to heal. I also have an 85 Pally (Holy/Ret/Prot), Druid (Boom/Resto), and Shaman (Resto/Ele). My Priest is the only class where I comfortably and really enjoy playing all 3 specs (I have to raid in all 3 specs too >< yay for constant respeccing!)

For healing, I love the spell variety. Some say there's a lot of spells for healing priests but I don't think so, or maybe I'm just used to it because it's my first healer.
    For Shadow, what's not to love? Except maybe RNG orbs... ><

- PW:Shield - Amazing to have in all specs. Many lives have been saved with my precious bubbles! I hate being on like my Druid or Shaman seeing someone about to die and not being able to throw a little shield =[ I didn't mention Pally because they have LoH,which is a bit stronger than my PW:Shield =P
    - Which leads to my love for Divine Aegis. I love absorbs. And my healing buddy always calls it my "cock blocking bubbles" XD Love building up max Aegis bubbles on fights like Zon'ozz and Domo before the fight and watch my group take no damage =P
    - Buffs are a piece of cake, never need to worry about what buff to bring or who to give a certain buff to ^^ I guess that can also be considered a downside, since Priests don't give much in terms of buffs to a raid group.
    - PoM is another one of my favorites, quite unique to our class.
    - No CD on primary AoE heal. One reason I don't like healing on my Druid much is because AoE healing spells all have a CD (and Druids tend to be raid healers), while my Priest has the very wonderful PoH with no CD. I had no complaints back when Holy Pallies had a CD on HR because Hpallies were never really considered as raid healers and were given a fairly strict role as tank healers.
    - Atonement and Smite Healing - I leveled my main as Shadow/Holy and didn't touch Disc until I was 85. When leveling my second Priest, I decided to MS Disc and check out Disc leveling since that is something I missed out on my main. It was wonderful and strong, plus no mana problems like I had with low level Shadow. Atonement was amazing at low levels. At 85, I do swear by using AA/A spec. I don't like downtime / don't like to stand around doing nothing, and being able to DPS/heal/build Evangelism stacks is perfect to fill gaps of time for me. I don't like to spam PoH to build Aegis stacks during fights unless it's very predictable (like on Zon'ozz, not like Madness).
    - No dependent CCs. I'm pretty lazy XD but this can be seen as a positive or negative, positive in my case. I rarely hear a request to shackle or MC something (and most of the time I can't do either!) It's always sheeps, hexes, hibernates, traps, etc. I can just chill out and twiddle my thumbs as the CCs go out 0=]
    - Channeling. I love Mind Flay and Penance to bits. I love the ability to channel spells, where you could possibly get a tick off before having to move / be interrupted / etc. I've been leveling my little Warlock and I have the desire to just Drain Life all the things rather than deal with cast times of Shadow Bolt. That's one reason I'm not terribly fond of my Boomie, no fun channels =[ and Starfire likes to take years to go off. I also have a bad habit of spamming my cast spell rather than waiting for the right time to cast again, which I can't expect to do with a channel like Mind Flay so I end up focusing more on my button pressing.
    - Shadowform and purpley goodness. I think when I first started playing (RAFed with a friend who invited me to play), I was debating between a Shadow Priest and a Hunter. I went with a Priest when I found out about purpley Shadowform. It was like a moth to a light, I must have Shadowform! Now I use Glyph of Shadow =X but even so I love the subtle shadowy look.
    - Hymn of Hope and giving others mana - I mean, it's no Mana Tide and the CD isn't the best, but the temporary mana increase plus the ability to give mana to others while you're in any spec is great. Whether I'm healing or DPSing a fight, I naturally have an eye on the other healers' mana to time when I should mana hymn. Currently have no Druids in our raid for Innervates, and when we do it's either a feral tank or Resto Druid (who's currently healing on his Resto Shaman, and uses Innervate on himself on his Druid). Having two Priests and two Hymn of Hopes does wonders for healers in our raid. I hope it doesn't become spec exclusive.
    - Holy Nova - Okay I only wanted to mention Holy Nova because it's pretty XD I like the graphics, it's a shame it's not more useful, although I do use it on H Madness. I choose Holy Nova > Mind Sear on adds because I want to be able to heal as well and not punish the other healers too much ^^ and I don't mean necessarily the heals from HN, but the ability to just HN like 2 times and then PoH to help heals, compared to having to stop Mind Sear, a semi expensive spell, after a few ticks.
    - Binding Heal is another one that I love (though situational) and is also unique to our class.
    - Mass Dispel - I would also add the ability to dispel in a DPS spec, but not with regular dispel anymore =[ I miss the ability to dispel friendly targets in Shadow. Makes me sad.

I'm just going on and on about Priests and like every spell almost =X. I have all healer classes and slowly working on a Warlock, Hunter, and Mage. While they're fun to play with and try out, at the end of the day, my Priest is where my heart is.

Sincerely,
    A Disc/Shadow/Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka View Post
    Other healers have pretty static priority. Priests have such a huge spellbook that we have more decisions to make than other healers. Shaman probably being the most notable exception in that regard.
    That's why it makes it a breeze healing on a Priest compared to say a Shaman for instance, because you're not bottle necked trying to find a spell you don't have, because you have every spell you could ever want.

Paladin's would be second, they too have a large toolkit.

Love the mechanics and the style of the class. For some reason, shields really appeal to me (disc was first my love, though I really enjoy playing holy too now). I think Penance is a tremendously awesome-looking spell. Prayer of Mending was just fun when I first started playing a priest, though I do take it for granted now. I like the concept too, the "purest" of healers (two healing specs!), channeling Light, angelic, etc. It's hard to explain, the entire package really just feels special and engaging.

Also, I do think priests have the best-looking gear, overall.

Blademaster
    Class mechanics.

I love my priest. Everything about her.

However, the changes in MoP have pushed me to change. I thoroughly hate everything they're doing to us. Probably roll monk to try it out. Either stick with it or jump on resto shaman or something.
    I am American mentally, with Japanese tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by xsublymonalx View Post
    I love my priest. Everything about her.

However, the changes in MoP have pushed me to change. I thoroughly hate everything they're doing to us. Probably roll monk to try it out. Either stick with it or jump on resto shaman or something.
    Isn't it a bit early to make that judgement?
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

Cause I LOVE priests. I didn't make 4 without reason. They have such cool spells and I love their healing toolbox. I've played other healer classes but they're just not as fun to me as priests.

Leap of Faith and Mind Control are epic spells too.
    Last edited by elleanor; 2012-04-16 at 08:02 PM.

...is the bridge between goals and accomplishments
    Quote by Jim Rohn

Because I love the mechanics of Disc, took a while to get over the changes from Wrath, but it's still my favourite spec for healing both PvE and PvP.

Keyboard Turner
    No wonder class mechanics !! its awesome

Because I share the same affinity for young boys as my priest.

Wait.. no no ... not that. Class mechanics.. yes ... that.

Life grip and mind control griefing.

Or at least, that's why I leveled one in the first place, i then found that holy priest was my favorite healing spec of the expansion!
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

I always hated priest then one night i had a dream and i had a priest next morning i made a priest and leveled asap...but probly my 3rd favorite healer but i still really love priests

I originally rolled a priest because my warrior buddy said they had some cool shadow spec. He had actually wanted me to heal, but I was like "lolno". Now I play it because I invested so much into it. I wish I had rolled a Warlock or Shaman though.
    Armory
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Wand Specialization is what got me to play. It helped out a lot back when u where leveling.
    OT I started in TBC with a Shadow Priest(hardcore Raiding) . Sort of stopped playing when the 2nd boss of Sunwell raped my guild apart. Bought a new account when Wrath came out and i could only play a Month of wow...so i leveled up a Priest again as Disc and it was great month. Then last year came back played again for a Month (just when Firelands came out) and Played Holy. Loved it to even though i could not raid much(since again i only had a month) but i could not see how anyone wanted to play Disc when Holy was way more Fun? The amount of times when ppl where near death and a Shield and a Prayer of Mending Saved the day is crazy.

Most fun healer for pvp ;D

Quote Originally Posted by spontanity View Post
    Most fun healer for pvp ;D
    Most fun healer PERIOD
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

My guild makes me....
    We lack "good" healers and in our guild im appreantly the only one able to heal morchok hc alone or be the only one they trust with dual healing ultrax hc...
    I'd rather play rogue, or pala (ret/prot) or even lock but they need a disc priest so im a disc priest

I picked Priest way back in Vanilla because they were supposed to be the best healers. I leveled as Shadow, and by the time I hit 70 they needed a hit-capped Priest to shackle undead mobs. That's me!

I have stuck with Priest because I feel Shadow is currently one of the best DPS specs in the game. Perhaps single target is a little low, but overall it seems to have the fewest annoying mechanics, and is dependent on player skill without being overly punishing.

Holy on the other hand, I've been disappointed with the entire expansion. I used to really enjoy it, but Cataclysm basically destroyed everything I liked about the spec. POH is an old, tired mechanic, Holy's mana and throughput feels weak, Lightwell is evil, Chakra feels like its locking you out of half your spells, there's no synergy in the talents, Holy Words are clunky and awkward, especially Serenity, Guardian Spirit is so much less cool on a 3 min CD-basically a weak version of PS, Renew is weak all around. 3 min DH helps our numbers in DS, but is just lipstick on a pig at this point. Disc is probably the better designed of the two specs, but you can get in real trouble as Disc if you aren't pre-casting a fair amount (absorbs don't work so hot if the target already took the damage), and Disc Priests don't stack very well in 10 mans.

I much prefer how a Resto Druid heals - all about keeping up buffs and managing HOTs. I don't miss the burst or lack of a CD, everyone keeps going on about how bad Tranq is, when really Divine Hymn is pretty much the same thing, maybe slightly more bursty. And Resto Druids can pop Tree Form and a clicky trinket along with Tranq if you really need the burst.

I am worried about MoP - if they change Shadow in some way that ruins the spec for me in the way that they ruined Holy I'll be pretty bummed.

At this time, if I could somehow respec into my Resto Druid (especially since I hate kitty DPS, can barely stand Balance, and Bears feel like "diet Prot Warrior" still) when I am not playing Shadow, my WOW life would be perfect.

Edit: Voted "class mechanics".
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-04-19 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    Holy on the other hand, I've been disappointed with the entire expansion. I used to really enjoy it, but Cataclysm basically destroyed everything I liked about the spec. POH is an old, tired mechanic, Holy's mana and throughput feels weak, Lightwell is evil, Chakra feels like its locking you out of half your spells, there's no synergy in the talents, Holy Words are clunky and awkward, especially Serenity, Guardian Spirit is so much less cool on a 3 min CD-basically a weak version of PS, Renew is weak all around. 3 min DH helps our numbers in DS, but is just lipstick on a pig at this point. Disc is probably the better designed of the two specs, but you can get in real trouble as Disc if you aren't pre-casting a fair amount (absorbs don't work so hot if the target already took the damage), and Disc Priests don't stack very well in 10 mans.
    I won't say Holy was or is perfect, but I still have to disagree with this. Until I stopped playing I was still very much the Holy spec.
    It felt very skill-dependent, with the tight mana-requirements. Lightwell was buffed sufficiently so that it became a useful spell. Chakra (during the 30/30 iteration) was fun to play around with and added depth to the class. Guardian Spirit is a good spell when used correctly. If you use it just the same as Pain Suppression, you're doing it wrong.
    Retired Holy Priest

I won't say Holy was or is perfect, but I still have to disagree with this.
    Its pretty much just my opinion. Personally, I like how a Resto Druid heals much better, but I'm sure there's lots of folks who enjoy holy right now. They are just not me.

Until I stopped playing I was still very much the Holy spec.
    It felt very skill-dependent, with the tight mana-requirements.
    Just feels weak to me, especially since there are more situations now where you just don't have a good spell choice for (say 3 people take big damage, but they are in different groups, POH isn't really going to help you, COH isn't going to heal them up completely and is probably wasting your mana, Renew is just too weak, Flash Heal costs too much, Greater Heal isn't benefiting from your Chakra most of the time). One of the things I enjoyed about Holy was always having the right spell for the job, and I feel like that is less true now.

I think Holy suffers a little bit from the Warlock problem: complexity that only rewards you with moderate performance compared to classes who do better and have easier mechanics isn't fun.

Lightwell was buffed sufficiently so that it became a useful spell.
    I just don't like the mechanic. I don't like having my effectiveness be tied to another player's ability to click, no matter how much they buff the spell or how well I train my raid. Again, my opinion. In Wrath, if you didn't like it you didn't really need it, but in Cata Holy seems balanced around it.

Guardian Spirit is a good spell when used correctly.
    Agreed, but it is much less fun now than it was in Wrath. Perhaps the Wrath version was OP, but I liked being encouraged to use this spell proactively and get the 1 min cooldown. Now, it feels more like any other 3 minute cooldown (PS, HoSac, etc). Again, just my opinion. In terms of balance, its probably fine as is.

Chakra (during the 30/30 iteration) was fun to play around with and added depth to the class.
    I've never felt rewarded for playing smart with my Chakra except in very few situations. I try it almost every time we do a new encounter, and usually my conclusion is "I'll do just as well just sticking to Sanctuary". Not always, but fairly often. I tried it on Madness while corruptions were mashing the raid, for instance, and Serenity just seemed to burn my mana more and I was SOL if the corruption managed to hit more than, say, 3 players.

Mostly, I think this is because Serenity doesn't feel very powerful, and HW:Serenity is hard to get the benefit out of. You cast it on someone then wind up a Gheal, or do a 2xFlash-->greater, and some holy pally or disc priest snipes that heal right out from under you. The renew roll is ok but I've just found most situations I can do just as well staying in Sanctuary and using Renews and a Flash Heal now and then.

Again, its all just my opinion, Holy is fine. But then, that's what this thread is about; people's opinion's about the Priest class. I like Shadow's mechanics, I don't like Holy's, and I'm not too fond of Disc's either. It feels like they pulled the rug out from under me a little with this class.
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-04-20 at 01:39 PM.