Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    AP Calculus was the highest you could go for my school (so, Calc 1/2 in college). Which was completely useless for me to even take given that I was a History and Psychology major in college. I had to take statistics regardless of my score on the AP exam, so I had extra credits for nothing.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I was attending community college and the highest math I needed for my computer degree the last thing we did was "irrational numbers".
    Hmmm? I'm pretty sure most CC's offer at least up until multivariable calculus, which is required for CS/CSE/CPE degrees.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I went to advanced Math/Science program throughout High School, so this is probably more than general ed students would get:

Freshman (Grade 9):
    Geometry and Algebra with Transformations
    Through computer and calculator explorations with transformations, geometric concepts are discovered and studied. An introduction to matrices, complex numbers, polar coordinates and the conic sections are used to link geometric and algebraic concepts.

Sophomore (Grade 10):
    Functions, Statistics and Trigonometry
    During this one-year course, students will review and extend ideas about linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and circular functions through computer & calculator modeling. Probability, statistics, complex numbers, and sequences & series are studied. The statistical concepts of the Design of Experiments model are explored.

Junior (Grade 11):
    Pre-Calculus with Discrete Mathematics
    With the aid of technology, students can explore and model connections between problem situations and their mathematical representations. Topics to be explored are functions, trigonometry, fractals, parametric equations, complex numbers, and statistics. In discrete math, vectors, determinants, sequences, series, matrices, applications to computer systems, election theory and graph theory are investigated. A geometric introduction and algebraic rules to the derivative are included. Further topics in the Statistical Design of Experiments are explored.

Senior (Grade 12): Choice of Calc or AP Calc:
    Calculus
    A one year course exploring calculus topics. Topics are presented three ways: geometrically, numerically and algebraically. Topics include the study of functions, finding derivatives by the rules and their applications, differential equations and approximations.
    --OR--
    Advanced Placement Calculus
    A one year course studying functions and limits, the derivative and integral with their applications, transcendental functions, advanced integration techniques and other related topics. The computer or graphing calculator will be used to extend and enhance student understanding. Students may elect to take the Advance Placement Exam.

The AP Calc was the same curriculum as the "dummy Calc" class, but taught at a faster pace and you make it through more of the book during the year, to prep you for the AP test.

Also at this school you took a science class (Bio, Chem, Physics, and then Bio2/Chem2/Phys2 choice Senior year), and a Technology class, where all three classes had overlapping projects.

I was always in advanced standing math classes. So I had Algebra I in 8th grade, and I took up to Calc I/II and Stats I/II in 12th grade. But as a no senior Math Major I have taken some fun courses like Discrete Mathematics, Abstract Algebra (call it what you would like), Calc III (multivariable and 3-D), Differential Equations (hello, this is FUn).

So yeah I've taken quite a bit as of now ^_^

EDIT: Well post #24 Said he took some science courses. I had Graduated from High School with Physics I/II and Programming I/II along with Psychology and Chemistry. Fun times.

10+ Year Old Account
    2+2= 22.
    This kind of math

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Hmmm? I'm pretty sure most CC's offer at least up until multivariable calculus, which is required for CS/CSE/CPE degrees.
    I was doing networking. Didn't require calculus for the Associate. Will be needing to take it when I save up a bit of cash to head to the university for the bachelors however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I was always in advanced standing math classes. So I had Algebra I in 8th grade, and I took up to Calc I/II and Stats I/II in 12th grade. But as a no senior Math Major I have taken some fun courses like Discrete Mathematics, Abstract Algebra (call it what you would like), Calc III (multivariable and 3-D), Differential Equations (hello, this is FUn).

So yeah I've taken quite a bit as of now ^_^

EDIT: Well post #24 Said he took some science courses. I had Graduated from High School with Physics I/II and Programming I/II along with Psychology and Chemistry. Fun times.
    Just to shoot you down a peg, I was not advanced and I did algebra 1 in 7th grade.

Guess its different in different parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Just to shoot you down a peg, I was not advanced and I did algebra 1 in 7th grade.

Guess its different in different parts of the country.
    I did "pre-algebra" in 7th grade, sure that is't what you had? I did Algebra 1 in 9th grade.

I was in the top 1% of math students on some test they gave us in 6th grade, so from 7th grade on I was taking university level math courses outside of HS. We covered all the high school stuff on the NY curriculum by 8th grade, and spent most of high school on advanced differential equations, logical induction, discrete and fuzzy math, and combinatorics. We were all given TI-92s, which were awesome because you could program games into them and they looked like the PS handhelds. I miss that calculator.

Reference:

10+ Year Old Account
    what is Briot-Ruffini?
    It is an algorithm to divide a polynom by a binomium.

What math did i learn during school? Let me think...

"What is 200-300?"

Oh, and "Tell me the first three digits of Pi"... which I cannot remember anymore.

I still passed both Economic Math and Statistics with B+ a few months ago in university. Tells us what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I did "pre-algebra" in 7th grade, sure that is't what you had? I did Algebra 1 in 9th grade.
    nope, algebra 1 7th geometry 8th, algebra II 9th grade, Precalc 10, Calc 1/2 11th

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    It is an algorithm to divide a polynom by a binomium.
    Looks a bit like what we call synthetic division.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    nope, algebra 1 7th geometry 8th, algebra II 9th grade, Precalc 10, Calc 1/2 11th
    Willing to say you were in some sort of advanced program and simply weren't aware of it.

let's see...

in high school,
    9 -- Algebra I
    10 -- Plane Geometry (all the proofs and such, i.e. prove two trianges are similar....)
    11 -- Algebra II
    12 -- Calculus I/II (differential and integral calculus, basically first 10 chapters of Thomas

in college, I was able to test out of the first year (calculus I and II), and wound up taking calculus III, diff-eq, numerical methods, complex analysis, partial diff-eq, probablity and statistics, linear algebra, foundations of math (a symbolic logic course) and advanced calculus......I was a chemistry/physic major.

Quote Originally Posted by goki View Post
    Just curious, watching an asian movie and seeing them solve university grade problems in high school got my curious as to what level of math people learn around the world (in high school or equivalent).

I am from norway and in high school the most advanced math we learned was probably complex numbers, no more than introducing euler etc.
    New York City, best high school in the city
    9th grade: Trigonometry, Geometry, Proofs, all that stuff
    10th grade: don't remember (sorry it's been a while). I know it was NOT precalculus. Linear Algebra maybe?
    11th grade: AP Calculus (never took precalculus, 11th grade we took a double period of regular calculus/Advanced Placement calculus, was basically both courses at the same time, at the end of the year we went right to the AP exam)
    12th Grade: Multivariate Calculus 1st semester, Differential Equations 2nd semester

This link will give you a rundown of the courses my former school offers these days.
    http://www.stuy.edu/apps/pages/index...pREC_ID=253269
    Last edited by Karazee; 2012-04-10 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    slovakia here. dunno what's in your calculus, but in last year of highschool we did differential equations, statistics and likehoods (or what is proper english word for that) ,than we did basics of derivations and integrals, matrixes, limits

9th Grade: Algebra 2, Calculus 1
    10th Grade: Geometry
    11th Grade: Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 2
    12th Grade: Linear Algebra, Calculus 3, Differential Equations

I was in an advanced program, and ended up choosing my courses to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Seylia View Post
    9th Grade: Algebra 2, Calculus 1
    10th Grade: Geometry
    11th Grade: Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 2
    12th Grade: Linear Algebra, Calculus 3, Differential Equations

I was in an advanced program, and ended up choosing my courses to some extent.
    How were you allowed to take Calculus One without trigonometry or geometry? The "math" part of it is easy because you barely use that stuff for differentiation, but it pretty much murders any ability to do advanced physics or engineering applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Looks a bit like what we call synthetic division.
    Now there's a term I have not heard in a long time.