Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

[Build Log] 2500K/GTX 680/Fractal Design Arc Midi (custom window mod) *Complete*

So, I facelifted this thread a little, turned it into a build log of sorts.

Log
    • 03/22: Power supply and memory arrived.
    • 03/27: Video card arrived.
    • 04/10: Keyboard arrived.
    • 04/11: Motherboard, mouse, mousepad, and headset arrived.
    • 04/17: Monitor arrived.
    • 04/18: Watercooling parts arrived, flushed the radiator for ~24 hours.
    • 04/19: Window kit arrived.
    • 04/21: Measured, cut and installed the window.
    • 04/23: Bought CPU, installed components, began leak testing water loop.
    • 04/24: Finished leak testing, installed OS, optimized SSD, began installing programs.

Components

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic X750W | BitFenix White Cable Extentions
    16GB Mushkin Blackline Enhanced | MSI GTX 680 | Zalman Clip-On Mic | Audio Technica ATH-AD300 | Logitech G9X | Corsair K60 | 24" Dell U2412M

Custom Water Loop

Window Mod

Build

Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-08-13 at 12:47 PM.

680 blocks are out already

And as far as I can tell the Rasa kits come with everything you'd need (other than the coolant obviously) If you're planning on doing CPU and GPU in the same loop I think you'd need more than a 240mm radiator though (that kit should be fine for CPU only though).

I've also been thinking about getting one of those kits (the RX360 one though, I'd mod my case to make it fit)

Yeah, if I added a GPU block at a later date I'd add another 120mm rad in the floor, or maybe on the back.

The Rasa 750 is a GREAT buy! I bought an H100 once upon a time and had major leakage issues and I had to RMA it via newegg thrice. However, it was probably just my bad luck but that's what pretty much made me give up water cooling as a whole, Currently i'm maintaining a nice 4.8 ghz on my 2500k over air on a Hyper 212 Plus @ 65- 70c full load. Nice alternative if you want to save a few bucks and it's quiet to boot.

Back to the Rasa 750
    Now I friend actually owns this kit and I have to say it's super quiet and he hasn't had any problems with it at all. It contains just about everything you possibly need besides the coolant like you stated.

Totally off topic but 16gigs of ram is kinda overkill :P

Excellent, thanks for your input regarding the 750.

And, you have no idea what I do with my computer, so you have no way of knowing whether or not 16GB of RAM is overkill. Regardless, I got all 16GB for $70USD total thanks to $10 off each kit because it was on sale as well as 10% off each kit thanks to a promo code I had, hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Excellent, thanks for your input regarding the 750.

And, you have no idea what I do with my computer, so you have no way of knowing whether or not 16GB of RAM is overkill. Regardless, I got all 16GB for $70USD total thanks to $10 off each kit because it was on sale as well as 10% off each kit thanks to a promo code I had, hard to pass up.
    That's a pretty good deal!
    I only assumed it was overkill because I've noticed alot of people purchasing 12 + gigs of ram when all they really do is play WoW, So I just tossed you in that lot. I do alot of Video Rendering myself, so I can atleast justify my 18 gigs.

Regardless, I'd always cherry pick the individual pieces I'd like. For computers in general, but water-cooling in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Regardless, I'd always cherry pick the individual pieces I'd like.
    I think I may end up going this route, if for no other reason than to get a pump/reservoir combo that fits on the floor instead of in the drive bays. After looking at this picture from Fractal Design's website, and seeing how much of the optical drive bays are covered up by the radiator when it is in the roof, I'm not sure I wanna try to squeeze my pump/reservoir in there, although TTL seems to think it'll fit just fine.

Unfortunately, I just found out that I can't return the H100 for a refund to NewEgg because I removed the UPC to claim a rebate (even though it has never been taken out of the box), so I may end up trying to sell it on Ebay. That may be the better option anyway, because you have to pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee when you return something for a refund to NewEgg.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-10 at 08:22 PM.

this guy build log type video on watercooling of arc mini http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl52C...re=uploademail he has multiple parts if you check out his channel, it's worth the look. Shows what kind of rad and pump you can fit

The Arc Mini and the Arc Midi are two different cases, but thanks for sharing that video. If he can fit a loop like that in the Mini, I should have no problems doing what I plan to do in the Midi. I especially like the idea of putting the reservoir on top of the hard drive cage, although it will disrupt the air flowing to the video card (which isn't a concern in that rig, since the GPU is also water cooled).

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should work so long as you cut your hosing properly and you have sufficient radiators exhausting the heat, setting up your loop up properly would help.

Deleted
    @Noteworthynerd

Check this video, I think he starts talking about it around 5:10, sounds like it should be fine.

Thanks for the suggestion Notarget, I've actually seen TTL's review several times, I even mentioned it in my OP. =P

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, trying to use a bay res with a 60mm thick radiator looks like an absolute chore. You basically have to run all your tubing from the res while it's outside of the case, then mount the res, then run the other ends. I'd personally scrap the idea of an Arc Midi and go with something a little bit bigger.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Notarget, I've actually seen TTL's review several times, I even mentioned it in my OP. =P
    Ah yeah I missed part of your post, I'm sorry. I just saw the mention of "TTL's custom Water Cooling videos" but didn't read all of your post i guess =p

10+ Year Old Account
    ive have been watching TTL for a fair few weeks now and im quite excited about his new CKC Cosmos build, i know the things he is using are a little over kill, but im thinking of doing the same build apart from im going to be using a 680 instead of a pair of 7970's

I LOVE the Cosmos II case it is a pure beast. but it wont be till end of the year when my money comes in
    Dell U2713H
    GTX 980Ti
    custom water cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I think it should work so long as you cut your hosing properly and you have sufficient radiators exhausting the heat, setting up your loop up properly would help.
    I am sorry, but isn't this just stating the obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    I'd personally scrap the idea of an Arc Midi and go with something a little bit bigger.
    I considered that (was looking at the NZXT Switch 810 maybe), but I've already got the Arc Midi (it was one of the few pieces I recycled from my previous build), so I'd like to save the money if at all possible. I really think the Arc Midi will work, especially if I put the pump/reservoir on the floor instead.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-11 at 01:54 AM.

Deleted
    Just want to post something about temps since when I bought my wc set, people on forums was exaggerating how much rad space I needed (lucky I didn't follow their advice)

Anyway, I use 2x 480 and i7 2600k (OC)

It's cooled by
    EK-CoolStream RAD XT 360 (People told me I needed at least two 360)
    3xScythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1150 rpm
    Phobya DC12-260

And at 100% on everything it never reaches over 65'c and I could lower it by simply using faster fans.

Lastly I was quite nervous about setting everything together but I found that if I simply followed the instructions and didnt rush things it went well.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by mmoc9ac976a8f4; 2012-04-11 at 08:23 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not the EK Waterblocks H30 240 LTX kit? It's a bit more then the XSPC kit but has the standard pump and reservoir setup.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15...0c83s137#blank