Profession choice issues

Guild Wars 2 looks like it will be a fantastic game, and i am honestly stoked for it. played guild wars 1 way back and loved that game too.
    the issue i am currently having is the fact that i just can NOT pick a class i want to play.
    every mmo i have played over the past few years i go into the game thinking "i'm gonna play this class" and then i play that class and stick with it because usually my gut is right and that's the class i really want to play.
    for example:
    WoW i knew i wanted to be a Enhancement Shaman, they weren't that great in vanilla except for pvp in some cases, but i still played it up until cataclysm when i quit
    RIFT i knew i wanted to be a Cleric and i played one until they're little half birthday celebration when i quit.
    SWTOR i knew i wanted to play an IA sniper, so i did and i am STILL playing it

but with GW2 i feel like the classes aren't as cut and dry as other games, and i feel as though i wont be able to fully wrap my head around what class i want to play until the betas start for pre purchasers and what not.

i suppose in the end its a good problem to have when all the classes are appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Guild Wars 2 is so groundbreaking that people have to literally unlearn what they have learned.. in my never humble opinion, people have a set way of playing..

some are healers, tanks, dps, ranged/melee, etc..

that much is certain.. every person is a certain type of player

GW2 presents their professions in such a way that is so innovating people at first are unsure how to approach it.. for example.. i am a melee dps

never been a healer/support/tank, i kill.. up close

I too am having trouble finalizing a profession because of my personality type.. i have managed to narrow it down to 3: Ranger, Warrior, Engineer

all of which are capable of both meleeing and ranged dps ultimately.. i'll play the way I want to play

melee killer

but I am LOVING the fact that I can on-the-fly switch to ranged should the need arise..

in wow terms good luck trying to kite me around when i can just as easily go to range weapons and fight you from afar.. there's a freedom.. an excitement about the fact you're not limited.. you don't have to wait for a cooldown to be able to play again..

but yes, i am loving this and at the same time understand the uncertain frontier we are all about to experience

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eparg View Post
    Guild Wars 2 looks like it will be a fantastic game, and i am honestly stoked for it. played guild wars 1 way back and loved that game too.
    the issue i am currently having is the fact that i just can NOT pick a class i want to play.
    every mmo i have played over the past few years i go into the game thinking "i'm gonna play this class" and then i play that class and stick with it because usually my gut is right and that's the class i really want to play.
    for example:
    WoW i knew i wanted to be a Enhancement Shaman, they weren't that great in vanilla except for pvp in some cases, but i still played it up until cataclysm when i quit
    RIFT i knew i wanted to be a Cleric and i played one until they're little half birthday celebration when i quit.
    SWTOR i knew i wanted to play an IA sniper, so i did and i am STILL playing it

but with GW2 i feel like the classes aren't as cut and dry as other games, and i feel as though i wont be able to fully wrap my head around what class i want to play until the betas start for pre purchasers and what not.

i suppose in the end its a good problem to have when all the classes are appealing.
    I have the same feelings toward selecting a profession, and this is the first time it's ever happened to me, as well. Haha.

The pre-order Beta key will no doubt prove to be the only way to find out which class suits the player. I can't even rule one profession out, and I've done my homework. This is probably an early omen towards a balanced profession system.

well ask urself do u wanna be a caster melee or ranged? then ask urself do u want more of a support character or damage character, then play beta and test out if u like what u chose. i personally am going with what ever has the highest learning curve for pvp, which from what i saw is ele or mesmer, but im going ele just cause i love the attunement system

10+ Year Old Account
    Im stuck on three proffesions atm i guess which one is the least represented hate beign a part of the flavour of the month club, bring on the beta
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the exact same way. At first I wanted to be a Thief, and then a Mesmer, and now thinking maybe Elementalist or Guardian and now I just can't choose between them, it is such a hard choice

Deleted
    Guess it depends on your play style. If you are one of those people who HAS to get to max level asap then it'd be a problem - but if not just try not to get to bothered about it and just try and few to see what you like. Hopefully we'll all be playing this game for years, so there will be plenty of time to try other things. Plus if you've pre purchased the upcoming beta events will let you help out to test the game but at the same time get a feel for the different classes.

Also, it doesn't seen that you have to wait too long to get a lot of the weapons skills of the various professions (elite skills aside) so I don't think that it'll be level 5x or 6x etc before you can get a true feeling for the class you are playing.

I've found watching the Yogscast videos pretty helpful to narrow down what I want to try first, and i'm still stuck between Warrior, Ranger and Elementalist...

Deleted
    Before anyone else opens the rage can, "class" is a no-no on these forums. Some people get really agitated unless you call it "profession".

My advice is to watch gameplay videos of the different classes. Then, if you pre-purchase, use the betas not only to beta test but also to try different characters.

If all else fails... play EVERYTHING!

Toaster has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I find it easy to choose a profession to play.

The Guardian suits my play style pretty well, since I like being a supportive-like class. Although I enjoy being a more brute force like the Warrior, so maybe I’ll start with that. The Ranger is of course also a profession I’d like to play though, since fighting alongside with my pet while wielding massive swords is darn epic. Also, Rangers are pretty sneaky-sneaky which I like a lot. Much like the Thief actually… Thinking of it; Thief would be awesome to play as well.

But on second thoughts, I’ve always found mage-like classes interesting, but in other games I’ve played, the rotations can be a bit static for casters. So I’ll definitely going to try the Elementalist… Or the Necromancer… Or Mesmer…

Engineer is ofc also a very good option; I’d love being this “unstable” guy, running around with home-made bombs and a freaking flamethrower!

That is…. All.

Oh God, why…

I just pick a class I like for rp reasons and then get 1-2 alts to be more flexible. In GW2 it will be engineer and ranger for rp and then some alt that supports well, water ele or guardian are on top of my alt list for now.

If I was melee guy I could for example pick assasin/mesmer/ranger as main and then guardian/warrior as bruiser alt or just get all of them ^^ oh snap.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-04-11 at 08:25 AM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Im stuck on three proffesions atm i guess which one is the least represented hate beign a part of the flavour of the month club, bring on the beta
    The great thing is, from the majority of polls on various forums that pop up every so often regarding this subject, there's a roughly equal distribution between the professions. While one may be low on one poll, on another it's ahead. Really, the only one that I've seen that is always under the "norm" would be the engineer. However, it's not so far behind to be considered the least played prof. So, really, play what you enjoy the most!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Before anyone else opens the rage can, "class" is a no-no on these forums. Some people get really agitated unless you call it "profession".

My advice is to watch gameplay videos of the different classes.
    Oh my

@TC - perhaps this thread will help you choose -> http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...on-t13429.html

Yh....tbh we have enough of our own problems trying to decide which of these awesome profs to play
    TBs old pvp ele vid convinced me to play an ele a while back, and my undying love to all things asura ensures they well be, well, an asura.
    Aside from that I keep swapping around. Except for my Norn ranger, charr engineer, sylvari mesmer and human thief ofc. And my sylvari necro. Oh and the human guardian. Prob the norn warrior too. And then ofc I realise I've not made enough asura.
    See, we all have problems

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moralio View Post
    Oh my
    Thank you for participating in this experiment.

The result is 15 minutes.

Same issue here, which means Ill probably dabble in a bit of each class during the betas... I am thinking Ill probably start with Elementalist, Mesmer, or Necromancer during live but they all look pretty good, in fact that only one that I am "meh" about is the guardian, and that is really saying something since even the warrior looks fun and I have never found a warrior fun in any RPG, specially MMOs.

All in all I would just say try them all out during beta a bit and see which play style feels more your type. I know Ill probably be spending a good chunk of time on the Guardian and Ranger during one of the days during the first beta since those two are the most iffy for me and well might as well see if they would be better then they look or if they would be a waist of a character slot (until getting the "free" character slot characters to how I want them). And then the other day of the first beta will probably focus mainly on Mesmer and Elementalist to see which more suits my style since those are the 2 classes that are currently highest up there on the interest list.

Either way if you pre purchased you will get to dabble in them to see which fits your style best coming up near the end of this month so you can figure out what you want to do first when it goes live.

Deleted
    Fortunately I was spared the choice issue this time (I normally get it for every MMO I try).

After I watched the profession trailers I totally knew what I wanted to play and never changed my opionion since back then (must be years ago by now... why does this take so long? :-( ).
    I only couldn't decide on the race of my char, and I am still not 100% sure if I will stick to charr for release. But well, I will play definitely human for the beta (as that is the only race I will NOT play) so no matter what my live charcter will become, the storyline will be totally new and exciting :-)

I am going to roll whatever my friend rolls. He always picks what turns out to be good classes.

I always pick the duds or the classes that get nerfed to uselessness. I will let you all know what I am rolling when the time comes so you don't have to suffer.