Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

Shocking images on cigarette packs

Seriously it's enough.

I smoke maybe 5-10 cigarettes per day. Nothing too hardcore. Since a couple of years, our government decide to put pictures of sick people on top of the packs. It was supposed to make people think, but people still bought cigarettes.

I decided to buy a pack tonight. And it seems that they decided to change the pictures. They decided to put the worst fucking tongue cancer picture on top of the pack. I mean the worst the world has ever seen. I just want to puke.

Ok I know smoking is not really good, but come on! Do they put pictures of dismembered people on the new car you want to buy? Do they put pictures of liver cancer on your 6 pack of Bud? Do they put the worst gonorrhea picture the human kind has ever saw on your KY tubes?

No, but why can they do this on my pack of smokes?

edit: see at your own risk http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/09...way-in-canada/
    Last edited by Morogoth; 2012-04-13 at 12:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be happy that your drug of choice is legal.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Do they put the worst gonorrhea picture the human kind has ever saw on your pack of condoms?
    Ummm... I fail to see any logic here

I have only just quit smoking myself (3weeks and counting) and i gotta say even when i did smoke I think its probably a good diea to pop things like this on the pack. While I personaly may have ignored the pic and litup anyways, someone will be affected and possibly think twice about smoking. Gotta know what your getting yourself into.
    End of day its up to everyone to decide wether they want to end up like those pics or not.

Deleted
    Seriously it's enough.

I smoke maybe 5-10 cigarettes per day. Nothing too hardcore. Since a couple of years, our government decide to put pictures of sick people on top of the packs. It was supposed to make people think, but people still bought cigarettes.

I decided to buy a pack tonight. And it seems that they decided to change the pictures. They decided to put the worst fucking tongue cancer picture on top of the pack. I mean the worst the world has ever seen. I just want to puke.

Ok I know smoking is not really good, but come on! Do they put pictures of dismembered people on the new car you want to buy? Do they put pictures of liver cancer on your 6 pack of Bud? Do they put the worst gonorrhea picture the human kind has ever saw on your pack of condoms?

No, but why can they do this on my pack of smokes?
    Because smoking affects the health of others and to be fair the condom analogy doesn't work, that'd be the equivalent to putting throat cancer pictures on nicotine patch boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvinator View Post
    Ummm... I fail to see any logic here
    Hehe ok not on condoms, let say on the KY tubes

Deleted
    It's all about perspective. I smoke and see these pictures and I'll be honest, it doesn't bother me. However, a more light hearted person might think: "Do I really want to be doing this?"

True facts: cigarette manufacturer's have intentionally added substances to their products to make them more addictive and more dangerous, and lied about this practice to their consumers.

Some people either refuse to believe, or are just ignorant of, the deadly side effects of smoking and second hand smoke, hopefully the pictures will deter young people from picking up the stinky and deadly habit.

I kinda agree with you. In the past few days i've seen countless adds for smoking that you're going to be an amputee, have a trachea bypass (not certain what it's really called - where you have the hole put in your throat for breathing aid).

If someone wants to smoke, they're going to. It MIGHT deter someone from starting to smoke... but if pictures of what could happen actually did anything then why isn't it used for drunk driving, overeating, drinking, or anything else that causes grotesque harm?

This is from a non-smoker, as well.

If my taxes didn't pay for their medical bills, I would be perfectly fine with retards smoking all they want.

In reality, every pack of cigarettes costs something like $20-40 of tax dollars in medical care.

User infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-04-12 at 03:48 AM.

Dont really see the point of putting disturbing graphics on ciggarette packets

you must be a complete idiot not to know the damage those things do

If they tried that with beer it wouldnt put me off in the slightest i know what beer and alcohol does to me but i dont care

First things 1st, this technique does not work. There is a certain psychologican schema that prevents this technique from having any positive result for the patient (yes, the smoker). In more detail, that schema has as main theme "nah, it won't happen to me". If you ask yourself now, I am sure that you will find out that even though you've been presented with all those pictures and facts over the months/years of you smoking, you never actually thought that this could happen to you. On the contrary, it's obvious that you just treat those pics as "fucking disgusting picks" and then forget about them, or not even pay attention to them when getting a ciggarete out of the pac. In my coutry, we don't have that kind of anti-smoking campaign besides the labels of "smoking can kill you etc", but since I've never even tried smoking, I don't know if that has changed recently.

Now that this has been cleared out, I think that you can ask a lawyer about that. Since it is disturbing your everyday life (no one likes disgusting picks in their pocket), you could sue or threaten to sue someone or something as a team or something. Knowing how things go around usually though, they may have passed some law or something to do that.

TLDR: a)It's unacceptable
    b)It's innefective
    c)It's stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Dont really see the point of putting disturbing graphics on ciggarette packets

you must be a complete idiot not to know the damage those things do

If they tried that with beer it wouldnt put me off in the slightest i know what beer and alcohol does to me but i dont care
    Actually most people don't know majority of the damage they do. They think lung cancer. When you explain that smoking is responsible for like 80% of strokes and heart attacks, as well as the many of other cancers, they don't believe it.

I hope they put even worse pictures on the packs and double the price. I am so tired of getting an instant headache whenever some selfish jerk feels the need to light up in public. I do not want your cancer.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's way over the top now. OP I live in Canada too and the recent giant warnings seem a bit too far. People may think that the pictures deter people from smoking, but honestly in this day and age pretty much everyone knows about the dangers of smoking. Most of us smokers made the decision on our own to smoke, we don't need to stare at a massive picture of the inside of a rotting eye when we buy our smokes.

Not realted but...have quit since 1st jan 2012 and never looked back. First couple of weeks were rough but now I do not even feel the urge anymore. Apart from the fact that I can run a lot longer distances and feel generally ehalthier, I love the amount of money I am saving

Good luck to anyone trying to quit, I will never say anything bad against smokers, to each his own and I do believe that smoking is targeted a tad too much by government these days. It was not any tv commercial or picture on a pack that made me quit, I lost my job and made a budget while looking for another job and cigarettes just did not fit in and after I found a job, i decided to keep the budget and the savings!

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I hope they put even worse pictures on the packs and double the price. I am so tired of getting an instant headache whenever some selfish jerk feels the need to light up in public. I do not want your cancer.
    I really hope you don't live near a big city or a big industrial factory. It can be even worse for your pink lungs.

I really hope you don't live near a big city or a big industrial factory. It can be even worse for your pink lungs.
    Or a road. Or a place where they burn anything on a regular basis.

Fun fact, there's no "pure air" anywhere. It's all harmful, though there are degrees of course.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    Not realted but...have quit since 1st jan 2012 and never looked back. First couple of weeks were rough but now I do not even feel the urge anymore. Apart from the fact that I can run a lot longer distances and feel generally ehalthier, I love the amount of money I am saving

Good luck to anyone trying to quit, I will never say anything bad against smokers, to each his own and I do believe that smoking is targeted a tad too much by government these days. It was not any tv commercial or picture on a pack that made me quit, I lost my job and made a budget while looking for another job and cigarettes just did not fit in and after I found a job, i decided to keep the budget and the savings!
    I never been an hardcore smoker and I smoke since 10 years. If I smoke more than 20 cigarettes per day, I'm almost 1 week without smoking. Actually, i feel ok with my 5 cigarettes per day. If someday I want to stop, I know I can. And to be fair, yes smoking 40-50 cigarettes per day is absolutely disgusting.

That's the thing that gets me. The tobacco companies put harmful chemicals in their cigarettes, smokers still smoke them, john q public still gets pissy that they get second hand smoke, everyone is at risk of cancer because of cigarettes in general. Why doesn't the gov't just shut the tobacco companies down? Look at asbestos, everyone thought that was fine for quite awhile, and then when it was linked to cancer, it became illegal to use / every building that had it needed to have it removed, as well as all of the class action lawsuits that came up because of cancer caused by it. Yet here we are, tobacco causing the same thing, yet it's legal? Doesn't make sense to me at all.