Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think it's fine that they're doing something to make people not smoke, I absolutely despise it, it's disgusting as fuck. Most people just seem to do it because they think it's ''cool'', to me only sore losers do it. I do think this is kind of over-the-top though, as much as an anti-smoker that I am I don't think it's okay to put an image of a dying man on anything for that matter. It's okay with a warning sign and such, but this is just as sickening as smoking to me. It's not okay to put those kind of images on cigarette packs, if you're smoking it's your own problem, society shouldn't try to be your babysitters, especially not when you don't want it. I have a bad habit of biting nails, and I don't see any pictures of bleeding and worn out fingers anywhere, and I'm grateful for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    If they went with those pictures, I think I'd start smoking A LOT. Preferably in public places.
    Aren't you the rascal.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have been brain washed since kids that smokers are losers. But killing babies and taking a weenie in the butt is cool.

People will do what they want and even if these grotesque pictures are on the box, I seriously doubt that will stop anyone from doing it. Although I think the logic here is to deter those who want to start. The American Government tried to do that. I believe it's being debated in court right now.

They government should really just let people do what they want. Give them the information that is needed about what it can do to your body and let it go. There is no need to put extreme pictures on there. The percentage of people who contract those diseases to that extreme are few and far between I'd imagine.

Deleted
    It used to make me feel ill, as I am quite squirmish, so I covered them up with those white sticky label things. Now I don't even notice them.

I have 2 teenage kids and a short temper, I am not giving up for a while.

This is a pretty loaded topic, but its a bit BS.

IMO I despise laws or in this case steps taken to prevent people from making stupid decisions. We are protecting people so much (Specially in America) from learning the repercussions of their stupid decisions with meaningless, victimless laws to the point of more intelligent people losing freedoms (this is a view far to big for this topic though, so if you want to argue it with me, please take it into private messages or just agree to disagree).

This is a fine line with the cigarettes in this case that there isn't a law preventing anyone from smoking them, so I don't really know how to comment on the pictures. I do think it is important to give people the information they need to know what they are chancing with their body, but I am with the mindset that putting the pictures on the packs (specially if its any government funded step, but even if it isn't, that isn't what the people buying the cigarettes are paying for) is a bit BS. There are many harmful activities that humans partake in this world and the crap surrounding is over-blown, government driven hyperbole often in search of the all mighty dollar (or what ever form of currency what have you).

If you want to smoke, that is your decision. People should be able to tell you, or persuade you via altering your logical view on a situation through shocking media. As mentioned before, you don't show a sky diver the aftermath of people that didn't have a cute that opened. You don't show a begining surfer the aftermath of a shark attack the first time out on the waves. Or far more accurately as other people stated: we don't show the aftermath of effects of heavy drinking on every pack of beer sold (And I would actually find more logic in showing drunk driving car accidents on beer packaging then I would the pictures on cigarettes. At least in the drunk driving case people are actually putting others at risk). The fact is, much of the worlds' populace has got a bug up their butt for a crusade against cigarettes mainly based on propaganda and a illogical fear.

If you smoke, you should know the risks and make the decision for yourself. If you do get sick because of it, you should not have public health care open to you and fail as soon as its clear that your smoking is the result of the sickness (the decision to smoke should contain knowledge of this risk). If you are wealthy enough to afford the health care you need in case of sickness, smoke away. If you don't care about the repercussions, that's your choice. It shouldn't get past that.

Oh, and btw, the people harping about killing 'those around you' or being effected by 'second hand smoke' are just blowing wind. The fact of the matter is second hand smoke is a bunch of over-blow propaganda. The effect of smoke from a cigarette that has already been filtered by one persons' lungs has a very negligible effect on anyone. Your lungs take more abuse from living in a metropolitan area then it ever would from being near a smoker. If you think it does have a huge negative effect on you, you have a over-exaggerated fear based on false-claims and propaganda. The world is full of pollution, the air you breath isn't clean, and the tiny bit of smoke that smoker is putting into the air is less harmful to you then sitting next to a bbq or a campfire. So stop your whining about this non-issue and stop being a prude. If you don't like the smell (which is the only real complaint a person near a smoker can have) then either ask the smoker to go elsewhere, or move yourself. Problem solved. Other then that, stop being over-dramatic. Second hand smoke certainly doesn't kill someone, unless you are in a confined space for long periods of time. But then again, you wouldn't light a fire in a closed room and inhale the smoke from that in practice either, would you?

Anyways, its such a blow out of proportion topic I would be surprised to be flamed or many here disagree with me, but its just the simple facts and how I view people should be open to their own choices when it doesn't effect others around them. If you want to take risks for yourself, its your own choice.

Also, all this from a smoker of 5-6 years, quit now for 2 and a half. Its sort of amusing, I tried one more cigarette after about being off them for 7 months and it tasted so disgusting at the time that it was enough to convince me to be done for good. Guess the tolerance I built up to them after first starting was enough to mask the taste and how they made me feel enough that I continued for a while. But now that I would essentially would be starting from scratch again, the effect is sickening enough to me, I don't see any desire or drive to start again. Anyways, smoking for me is over and done with for a good period of time now and there is no chance of starting again. Still think that I should have the option though if I wanted to. Taking away freedoms we enjoy is a slippery slope when you just want to pinpoint specific freedoms.

---------- Post added 2012-04-14 at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by scrud View Post
    We have been brain washed since kids that smokers are losers. But killing babies and taking a weenie in the butt is cool.
    Say what? Do you even have any intent on posting constructively? Who has taught you killing babies and 'taking a weenie in the butt' is cool? Where did you grow up and is that really what the younger generation is doing these days? Where you one of those kids trying to be 'cool' and fit in?

I suppose, way OT, but you are referring to abortion and gays? How absurd, illogical, and off topic can you get? Abortion is a huge, alternate topic that doesn't fit here at all. And homosexuality, even further from the mark with no connection/correlation with the topic on hand and doesn't pertain to or effect you at all? Posts like this should be infracted for being so pointless and stupid. Grow up or don't post.

---------- Post added 2012-04-14 at 07:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    snip
    Also just wanted to say, well said. I agree with your points and how it relates to my own view of the subject. I hate hypocritical double standards. I have quite smoking. I even sort of hate it to a degree at this point (for myself) because of the taste and how it effects me. But to apply my hate for it to others and believe I should have control over their actions is ludicrous.

As a non-smoker...I'm glad they are doing this. It's very annoying when I'm walking out of the store and a smoker next to you decides to blow their cigarette in your general direction and you're forced to inhale. If you don't like the pictures, don't buy the packs.

I"m not smart enough to make my own decisions and assess the risks of my behavior, so I am totally in favor of these.

I am nothing without the government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does seeing the truth really upset people? To be honest I work on a respiratory ward these pictures dont even come close to the actual suffering and disbility your non hardcore habbit will cause you, a picture of a rotten lung is nothing compared to the years of breathlesness, immobility, coughing etc etc that those 5 cigarettes a day wil give you just be glad you dont actually see the true effects. Personally as a nurse I find smoking cessation to be one of the biggest wastes of time, people who are foolish enough to start smoking are generally foolish enough to continue regardless, these pictures offer no benefit and should just be removed, smokers are already punished enough for being mindless sheep who couldnt say no, just let them get on with it, I wont have a job if they all quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it...they put cigarettes on the shelves, but they put labels on them basically saying "Don't buy these! They'll kill you!" In what make-believe fairy land does this make sense? Because it makes none in our reality. If you don't want people buying cigs, take them off the shelves. If you DO want them buying cigs, which is quite obvious, why the fuck are you putting pics on them? Logic: It makes none.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I love it...they put cigarettes on the shelves, but they put labels on them basically saying "Don't buy these! They'll kill you!" In what make-believe fairy land does this make sense? Because it makes none in our reality. If you don't want people buying cigs, take them off the shelves. If you DO want them buying cigs, which is quite obvious, why the fuck are you putting pics on them? Logic: It makes none.
    The reason all comes down to how much they can get away with. The people who advocate these labels have a true goal, which is to use government force to stop people from buying cigarettes (and various other behaviors that they disapprove of). They can't get away with that, so they do what they can get away with to stop people from buying them. The only difference between this and outright illegalization is that this got approved, it's just a compromise of sorts for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Probably because fuckloads of the money is actually for the government. Stop selling cigarettes and you just create a black market which you can't control and which doesn't profit you in any way. So in short it's just easier to sell them (and tax them) but warn people for the possible dangers. Same for alcohol basically, only that it doesn't have pictures of Amy Winehouse or something to scare people off.