Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    lots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nagina View Post
    Are there any numbers anywhere?
    ALL physical copies sold out within hours..

that doesn't factor in the online sales of DDE's and standard

not to mention it's ongoing it's not like pre-purchase was only for Apr 10

so really the question is how many pre-purchases sold on Apr 10?

my guess?

between 1-1.5million

Deleted
    there is a limit how many players a-net can handle in beta and they just dont sell more pre-puchases than this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Heh, this might sound strange coming from someone who's been following the game for a while now, anticipating it... but I actually think that might be an overestimate seeing as WoW:Cataclysm holds a 24 hour sales record of 3.3 million at launch. For GW2 to reach more than half of that with pre-purchase sales would be insane, let alone in 24 hours.
    But it wasn't in 24 hours at all. The number includes pre-purchase, so it was actually months of sales. It's a common industry PR bullshit trick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styopa View Post
    If you think about it, that would be like, crazy rewarding.

Work your butt off for years and years, just piling up the costs (manpower, ever-refreshing hardware demands, etc) for month after month with NO income at all on the "plus" side of the balance sheet.

Then you flip the switch on the sales servers, and OVERNIGHT you make perhaps $90 million. (500k box sales plus at least 1 million digital).

Going to guess it's a good day at Arenanet this morning. Boss might be in a good mood.
    oh they're in a very lucrative mood, one of their best tweets was around noon sometime yesterday after pre-purchasing officially began someone said

"thank you so much for all this support, you guys have no idea what this means to us"

or something to that effect.. my guess was buzz made rounds in corporate that the demand was far exceeding the supply and the "Bosses" and CFO's etc were pretty pleased with the response to Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase (yes wow fanboys, without a release date, lol)

i definitely think the real world response far exceeded the anticipated response of ArenaNet themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameretat View Post
    But on a more productive note, It's nice to see the hype machines (Not saying it's either justified or unjustified hype) Caused them to sell some serious copys, As it's obviously their main source of income (The cash shop i personally consider to be unreliable income).
    Just for the record I didn't plan to preorder, prepurchase, or buy GW2. I never bought the first one. It was how disappointing TOR ended up being, for me, that changed GW2 from a "no thanks" into a "might as well."

Wasn't a big fan of the art "style" in the first one and number two looks like more of the same.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Wasn't a big fan of the art "style" in the first one and number two looks like more of the same.
    One wonders if you have even watched any GW2 videos, because it visually looks nothing like GW1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Just for the record I didn't plan to preorder, prepurchase, or buy GW2. I never bought the first one. It was how disappointing TOR ended up being, for me, that changed GW2 from a "no thanks" into a "might as well."

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    One wonders if you have even watched any GW2 videos, because it visually looks nothing like GW1
    it's not wondering if he even watched any videos it's the fact that he states

- didn't plan to preorder
    - no prepurchase
    - doesn't want to buy gw2
    - never bought or played gw1

......trolling so hard it's pathetic. Why would you even make a post here?! It's the GW2 forum! An off-the-way forum may i add it's not like it's the first thing you see when you go to mmo-c you gotta find this section of the boards and to blatantly troll like this?

it's totally different when someone like me posts on general WoW forums because i've played, left and quit with the fog lifted off my eyes to see how incredibly DEAD and BORING that game has become.. you on the other hand have no business WHATSOEVER even being here

aside from trolling

troll. reported.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    it's not wondering if he even watched any videos it's the fact that he states

- didn't plan to preorder
    - no prepurchase
    - doesn't want to buy gw2
    - never bought or played gw1

......trolling so hard it's pathetic. Why would you even make a post here?! It's the GW2 forum! An off-the-way forum may i add it's not like it's the first thing you see when you go to mmo-c you gotta find this section of the boards and to blatantly troll like this?

it's totally different when someone like me posts on general WoW forums because i've played, left and quit with the fog lifted off my eyes to see how incredibly DEAD and BORING that game has become.. you on the other hand have no business WHATSOEVER even being here

aside from trolling

troll. reported.
    Well since it was in reply to someone commenting that hype might be the reason behind the sales, and its not in my case... I'm not sure why you're assuming its inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic. The art "style" in both looks the same to me. Not pixel for pixel of course but it reminds me of videos of the first one. I've still prepurchased the game. Well at least you are here to let me know where I should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameretat View Post
    "Sorry, Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchase serial codes are temporarily unavailable."
    Funny, I went and got mine like an hour ago.

I'm fully hoping that the pre-purchase thingy is available for a month or two. :S
    If not, I may have to cancel my girl's new hard drive and get her the pre-purchase deal NOW.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Funny, I went and got mine like an hour ago.

I'm fully hoping that the pre-purchase thingy is available for a month or two. :S
    If not, I may have to cancel my girl's new hard drive and get her the pre-purchase deal NOW.
    Priorities. If the old hard drive still works, I'd definitely go with GW2!
    And hard drives at the moment are kinda expensive, with the entire flooding in Thailand still haunting us. The longer you wait, the more the prices will return to normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

Oh there are differences. I'm not saying its a pixel to pixel match. My problem is with the general art "style." I usually prefer the more cartoonish variety. I think it holds up better over time that way.

I'm wondering if the mods are going to restore the deleted post.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameretat
    But on a more productive note, It's nice to see the hype machines (Not saying it's either justified or unjustified hype) Caused them to sell some serious copys, As it's obviously their main source of income (The cash shop i personally consider to be unreliable income).

Since it was reported as trolling due to a reading comprehension problem.

Instead of any actual trolling.

By the by, any numbers from them yet?
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-04-12 at 01:22 AM.