Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    On my mage I used to not charge for portals but after those people who would whisper me for a portal and I would say ok and drop what I was doing only for them to dick around and waste my time I stopped doing portals altogether. I make enough money that I don't need that extra 10g that someone might pay me after they waste my time.

Deleted
    I never ask for any tips, but I often get 5-50g from kind souls.

I've been asking 25g for non-guildies since Wrath. I guess I should increase that....

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    I am just curious about how much you mages generally get tipped for portals. I usually give a tip of about 20g, seeing as how I can't teleport myself and figure it's either that or taking a boat/fp. However, when I post in trade that I'm looking for a portal and I get a pst from a mage saying "how much will you tip?!?" or "only if you tip", then I generally give 5g or don't reply back at all....the reagents hardly cost anything and it takes less than a minute so if they complain about it, I don't go out of my way to give a nice tip.

So anyway, average tips...I'm curious.
    Depends, usually 5-10g though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoid View Post
    It's a tip, so I accept whatever the person gives me. Its practically free money.
    this ;P . I got 500g for portal once, since then I never ask for gold when I'm chanting/cutting gems for people or making portals, who knows how generous they can be

I refuse to take gold for portals now. I'm usually in Org doing nothing anyway, and 10silver or whatever those runes cost now is pretty insignificant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    On my mage I used to not charge for portals but after those people who would whisper me for a portal and I would say ok and drop what I was doing only for them to dick around and waste my time I stopped doing portals altogether. I make enough money that I don't need that extra 10g that someone might pay me after they waste my time.
    This is why I stopped responding to trade asking for enchants. More than 75% of the time, the person doesn't know how enchants work and just waste 30+ min of my time trying to figure out the mats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Exactly this. My mage is my main. I will sit and watch people scream for portals all day and will continue refusing to port people until people understand inflation, and what it means to provide a service. Since that will never happen, I'm rarely someone's portal bitch.

The cost of the rune has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with porting people places or determine how much the port should cost. When players start understanding this, I may port the poor guy who has been spamming 5 minutes for a port. Since it's unlikely the player base will never understand that it's not about the cost of the rune, again not likely I'm going to be someone's portal bitch.

When I'm not on my main, I always tip a minimum of 100g, sometimes more, because I understand what it means to provide a service, and how much money is undervalued in the game now.
    perfectly said.

I bet people 100g that my paladin can port them to Dalaran. Then I whip out my Jaina's Locket and they are usually pretty confused and pay up.
    i5 2500k Powercolor HD 6950
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    96gb Kingston SSD, 1TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
    Basic P67 motherboard
    800 watt PSU
    NZXT Phantom Case: If you think this case is ugly, you are wrong.

I just do mine for free.

I normally get between 10-25 gold but the most I have been tipped is 100 which was awesome.

I usually tip 10g.

No wait... I usually just spend the time to get my butt wherever it needs to be :P