Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Practical uses for Demonic Gateway?

As much as I absolutely love the idea of the new spell we're getting in Mists, I'm having a hard time actually coming up with worthwhile uses for it. Of course we don't know what dungeon and raid fights will be like yet, but using Cataclysm and Wrath bosses an examples, what good uses can you think for it?

The only really good uses I can think for it at the moment are:
    • Capture The Flag style battlegrounds
    • Maybe easier Countdowns on Baleroc
    • Easier travel/orb kiting on Ascendant Council
    • ICC Gunship, if people forget the rocket pack
    • Possibly saving people that Valkyr drop during the Lich King fight

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

The only really good uses I can think for it at the moment are:
    • ICC Gunship, if people forget the rocket pack
    • Possibly saving people that Valkyr drop during the Lich King fight
    i don't see how these make sense but i think it's going to be very usefull when kiting stuf but beside that it's a 2 way demonic portal for you and other ranged ( ragnaros flame seeds, warlord zon'ozz aoe phase)

Deleted
    Madness of deathwing, when you need to cross 1+ plateforms, comes to my mind

10+ Year Old Account
    All fights are just variations of stacking and spreading out.

Tank getting to a mob spawn point.
    Ranged getting into melee distance
    Someone with a debuff getting away from everyone else.
    The melee instantly getting into range of a boss.
    LoS'ing
    Kiting melee in PvP
    Kiting a boss or boss add who hits really hard
    Getting into a certain spot on a fight quickly

I could go on but my boss is staring at me.

I don't see how the val'kyr thing would be possible, but the gunship one would be rather easy:

• open the first gate in your gunship;
    • open the second gate in your enemy gunship;
    • profit ;
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    I'm sure people are gonna make up crazy usage of this tool! Just don´t hope it comes down to stacking 5 warlocks to port your raid around :<

10+ Year Old Account
    This spell makes me wish I had demonic teleport on my priest >.<
    Favorite Owned Title: Champion of Ulduar
    Favorite Owned Mount: Ashes of Al'ar
    "Prisoners? Ha. With it bindings unshackled, its gonna' come after us, and we're going to be the prisoners" -- Brann Bronzebeard on Yogg'saron

I wonder if this will break some encounters, considering how lock stackign can let you teleport the whole raid, this is based on speculation though.

Uses:
    A good one would be in BGs like AB where you can (possibly) travel through bases, dunno the range though.

[*]Capture The Flag style battlegrounds[*]Maybe easier Countdowns on Baleroc[*]Easier travel/orb kiting on Ascendant Council[*]ICC Gunship, if people forget the rocket pack[*]Possibly saving people that Valkyr drop during the Lich King fight[/LIST]
    I will ignore PVP because their will always be use for PVP and unless it shares a CD with portal you can become a teleporting ping pong.

First any situation you mentioned only helps other players when they fail at something themselves.

Even for Kitting in general I don't see the use for it, first you usually can't have mobs running threw players so (cleave dmg often) and second the people that are kitting usually (read always) have a ability that allows them to do their job.

Ignoring pvp their is no use of gateway in PVE because it does the exact same thing as portal but for others. At best you can use both abilities to for the same purpose (for example if their is a aeo ability that 1-shots you every 20 secs).

Group utility spells are fine but the class itself need to have some use for it as well, and any spell which only a single class has will never be needed to kill a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Badluckandtrouble View Post
    I wonder if this will break some encounters, considering how lock stackign can let you teleport the whole raid, this is based on speculation though.
    Uses:
    A good one would be in BGs like AB where you can (possibly) travel through bases, dunno the range though.
    i don't see how these make sense but i think it's going to be very usefull when kiting stuf but beside that it's a 2 way demonic portal for you and other ranged ( ragnaros flame seeds, warlord zon'ozz aoe phase)
    You can't port the whole raid, the portal can only be used 5 times before it has to recharge, gaining 1 charge per 15 seconds. Also the range is 70 yards max.

I don't see how the val'kyr thing would be possible, but the gunship one would be rather easy:
    If you put one portal at the edge and make people stand slightly off-center they will always be carried in the same direction and could click the portal as they fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Ignoring pvp their is no use of gateway in PVE because it does the exact same thing as portal but for others. At best you can use both abilities to for the same purpose (for example if their is a aeo ability that 1-shots you every 20 secs).

Group utility spells are fine but the class itself need to have some use for it as well, and any spell which only a single class has will never be needed to kill a boss.
    "Needed," No. Extremely helpful yes. The less time spent running like fools from one spot to another, the more time spent dpsing and healing.

This can be useful for us too because then you can transport between the two gateway positions and you can also use your portal for another location you need to be at during the fight. Not to mention that you can move 70yrds.

I would imagine that, for PvE, Demonic gateway would be immensely useful in any fight with long-distance forced movement. It's current tooltip has a 70-yard range, which is big enough to almost move from max range on one side of a boss to the other instantly. For fights with a lot of long-distance movement, you can basically skip the whole running bit and go straight to DPSing, with a minimal loss. For Aff and Destro, whose MoP mechanics aren't very movement friendly, this is a huge buff to damage. Gateway could also be used to quickly transport Demo to and from melee range if necessary (Leap is only ~20 yards, and Circle is only one-way).

I can see Warlock rated teams on WSG that just chain the portals together so you blink and essentually run from 1 to another until you drop the flag off
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    I can see Warlock rated teams on WSG that just chain the portals together so you blink and essentually run from 1 to another until you drop the flag off
    Simple solutions: Make the portal unusable while carrying the flag or make clicking on the portal drop the flag.

Dragon Soul: Yor'Sahj - instant stacking on boss after adds.
    Zon'ozz - same.
    Hagara - If your frost phase is taking too long, use it for a "GTFO the middle".
    Blackhorn - onslaught stacking with minor dps loss.
    Spine - faster getting back to centre after rolls, one more tool for the kiter to use.
    Madness - faster platform jumping, faster getting away from bolt with less dps loss.

Firelands - Shannox - kiting boss/dog.
    Beth'tilac - faster stacking for aoe and faster stacking in 2nd phase. Also a faster (and bug free) way to get off the web.
    Baleroc - fast travel to and from crystals.
    Staghelm - instant stacking.
    Ragnaros - lava seeds? hahah fuck you all I'm teleporting my entire raid over there!

I could go on but you get the point, it's incredibly useful.

Any boss besides Patchwerk-style (as in pure, 100% tank'n'spank), I will probably be using this. Even Ultraxion (even tho I refer to it as Ultraxwerk) -- we're stacked up right next to the boss for our Voice of the Deeps wielders, so it would save our healers a second or two of running.

Besides Patchwerk, I can't think of a single encounter off the top of my head where it would have zero possibilities for use. Hell, even Patchwerk, might help for initial positioning ... have everyone where they're gonna be, let the tank pull at range but port back to where he/she wants to stand the entire fight.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

You're all forgetting though, it only has 5 uses before it has to recharge, has a 5 second cast time and obviously can only be placed at one location.

Dragon Soul: Yor'Sahj - instant stacking on boss after adds.
    Only has 5 uses, and could only be placed at one add colour's location, so would only work a 3rd of the time.
    Zon'ozz - same.
    People will be spread all over the room, the portal is only at one place.
    Blackhorn - onslaught stacking with minor dps loss.
    Onslaughts can appear anywhere, the portal will only help occasionly. Cannot place dynamically due to 5 second cast time.
    Spine - faster getting back to centre after rolls, one more tool for the kiter to use.
    The distance is like 10 yards, not sure if it would be worth using the portal
    Madness - faster platform jumping, faster getting away from bolt with less dps loss.
    Only has 5 uses, has a 5 second cast time - it will be faster to jump. Bolt I agree on though.

Firelands - Shannox - kiting boss/dog.
    Agree, although you should be kiting dogs into traps that can appear anywhere.
    Beth'tilac - faster stacking for aoe and faster stacking in 2nd phase. Also a faster (and bug free) way to get off the web.
    A limit of 5 charges prevents that, plus people will be spread out and will likely be able to stack faster than reaching the portal
    Baleroc - fast travel to and from crystals.
    Would be awkward (and dangerous), but yes.
    Staghelm - instant stacking.
    A limit of 5 charges prevents that. Plus people will be spread out all over the area and thus not able to reach the portal.
    Ragnaros - lava seeds? hahah fuck you all I'm teleporting my entire raid over there!
    Limited to 5 uses.

why do people mention clicking on the portal ? I can only think of this as instant pass through to the other side once you step through the gate, the effect is very similar to the molten front dailies where you had to kill a lieutenant of flame, there would be 2 demonic gates opening to help you move from one point to the other instantly , so i think it's going to be similar to that.
    note this is just my opinion and I can't really provide any proof that it's actually going to be like that, but I strongly believe it won't require any clicking or similar mechanics.

You're all forgetting though, it only has 5 uses before it has to recharge, has a 5 second cast time and obviously can only be placed at one location.

i imagine the cast time for is for placing the portals, not using them. in the time it would take to use it, you could have ran that distance by then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coil View Post
    i imagine the cast time for is for placing the portals, not using them. in the time it would take to use it, you could have ran that distance by then.
    Its all about strategic placement... if you can place it before the fight starts, like a flag for visual reference, priest's healing well, etc. Then.... maybe you can have a diferent aproach to a boss mechanic. Still using this spell for old content its just breaking the idea. Its a MoP spell for MoP content so... keep it there for your opinions and then when the exp is out... start making some freaking use of it. I think blizz is aware of the spell and boss mechanic synergy. If this spell is KEY to a boss kill then you have a "bring the class not the player" problem.

Dark Greetings for all! bb.