Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by speehs View Post
    The concepts of honor and glory in death are simply tools of manipulation. If you consider death in battle for your country to be the greatest honor a man can achieve, you've been had.

Also, trolls will be trolls.
    Depends on the person as well. I'm sorry but i would NOT die for my country. Die trying to save it from itself sure but not for my country. But dying in honorable combat for what i believe in OH FUCK YES. However i realize this is also most likely ancient genetic programming coming out. Since i also believe in other forms of honor. This one just gets my blood burning.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 04:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Knarko View Post
    Honour is but a substitute for sense.

Depends on the person. I have been called both very intelligent and sensible and that i need to get my head out of the clouds as well as be less aggressive. Some people actually ARE affecting by the idea of honor on an instinctive level while still retaining reason such as myself. And this is from outside confirmations not my own. Only a fool judges themselves IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I would think that in that tier of honor....that it would be a recognition by others as opposed to a personal one.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 12:45 AM ----------

But, the fact that I am far far more intelligent than nearly everyone is key to this thread, as that is the reason I found the quote that is being discussed so thought provoking.
    That might be true, however most people will not want to know why if they find it insulting. People will be able to try to answer the question in whichever way they feel is right without that information couldn't they? You could still leave it there so people can read it that if you feel it will help contribute to the topic, while at the same time making it so you no longer see people trying to ruin the thread. Hm, a good example of how you could change it would be "I know I am incredibly intelligent and I view myself as being able to think critically on things that most others do not or cannot, which is why I believe this quote has affected me as it is thought provoking."

I'm certain you could probably word it better than that (a bit tired atm >.<) and then integrate it into your OP. It'll still provide the same information that you wanted people to understand before posing the question, without coming off quite as insulting to others. Hoping this helps some as I really am enjoying seeing how others view the idea of honor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    I read his quote, which was why I was confused. He was pointing out that non-Greeks were debating ancient Greek history like they were experts. You went into a tirade about modern Greek economic issues.

So I ask again, how is that relevant?
    Actually, I was addressing the concept that those who are non-Greeks talking about Greek philosophy, which by the way is so far displaced from modern Greece that being Greek really doesn't really lend any conceptual knowledge of the ancient philosophers' views, are barbarians. And considering that 1) Alexander the Great, although he could technically be called Greek, was from Macedonia which had its own distinct customs and views and beliefs distinguishing them from other states 2) the quote was represented by Hollywood and therefore in the form of that movie can be seen as American, and 3) it wasn't so much a moral statement as much as a rallying speech, which was very common when you were sending soldiers against massive armies.... I fail to see exactly why one would tie that quote to Greek history exclusively. The concept is about the honor of fighting in battle as a whole.

Don't you find it at all ironic that you're attempting to address my relevance, while ignoring the post that I did make concerning the idea of viewing honor in Greece as a unified concept?
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2012-04-12 at 05:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunefire View Post
    No honor is awarded to those who are worthy of it by OTHERS. You can never give yourself honor, you are given it by others. I have the distinction of being the guy who never lies among my friends. That's my honor. I'm also the guy who you never want to see if you hit a woman, you won't survive the experience.
    The way i see it, honor can only be given to yourself. So what if someone says you did the honorable thing, its not gonna make you feel better when people died over it.
    Kinda like killing a guy from behind. If you are alone vs some guy, and you for some reason hate killing from behind, its gonna ruin your sense of honor.

At least, thats what i think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Depends on the person as well. I'm sorry but i would NOT die for my country. Die trying to save it from itself sure but not for my country. But dying in honorable combat for what i believe in OH FUCK YES. However i realize this is also most likely ancient genetic programming coming out. Since i also believe in other forms of honor. This one just gets my blood burning.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 04:53 AM ----------

Depends on the person. I have been called both very intelligent and sensible and that i need to get my head out of the clouds as well as be less aggressive. Some people actually ARE affecting by the idea of honor on an instinctive level while still retaining reason such as myself. And this is from outside confirmations not my own. Only a fool judges themselves IMO.
    Is this a subtle jab at my OP? Because it only appears that I judge myself, those capable of judging me are known to me and it is only that group whose opinions I consider are worthy of my thought and consideration ( I know bad use of writing using the word "consider" too often within such a short grammatical period of time). The opinions of the vast majority MAY SEEM like they are instantly dismissed by me, but they are in fact so plebian, that they are instantly processed AND DISMISSED.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    MODS, i ask that you please close this thread.

It has devolved into unwarranted personal attacks against myself, as well as, devolving into a discussion about the Greek economy. There is no honor in this thread, so please shut it down asap.
    Closed.
    10char10char