1. #1

    "First world problems"

    Does anyone else find the phrase "first world problems" to be incredibly annoying?

    What so just because there are people starving somewhere in the world that is all I am allowed to dwell on?

    To me it is just a hipster phrase that people toss at others when they disagree with what the other person is complaining about.

  2. #2
    It is truly annoying, you can go back to the "omg kids are starving" fact for anything in life, it doesn't do anything but make you more annoying.

  3. #3
    I agree, why do people always think im joking when i say its a hard choice to choose the right cereal from so many.

    First world problems is just a phrase that mostly goes for spoiled people. People that say the example i made.

  4. #4
    It is a 'hipster' phrase. If you every type this phrase on a smart-phone, on an internet chatroom/message board, or over any kind of P2P media, you can go diaf right now.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    It is a 'hipster' phrase. If you every type this phrase on a smart-phone, on an internet chatroom/message board, or over any kind of P2P media, you can go diaf right now.
    Lol, I was going to say I use it ironically, but that might just make people even angrier.

    Tbh I do think it's overused, but the underlying message is still the same. Not to be a dick or anything but this thread is an example, people are complaining about a meme, while some people are worrying if they'll live to see tomorrow.

    Every time I see it I just take a step back and question how important whatever it is I'm complaining about REALLY is, and often I realise that it's not really that important, next time you see it, just take a step back and consider if it's really worth your time.

  6. #6
    Yeah, the entire saying is just stupid. It's like a paralytic telling someone that just lost their legs, "stop whining, at least you can still move".
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  7. #7
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    6,065
    It's a meme, stop being so butthurt. Are you new to the internet or what?


  8. #8
    "Hey guys, the batteries in my remote ran out so I had to drive to the store to get new batteries. FML"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    It's a meme, stop being so butthurt. Are you new to the internet or what?
    So because its a meme we can't take issue with it? I had no idea that meme's were protected speech. Because something like 'butthurt' or 'pihb' are great memes? What an awesome pov.

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk Willeonge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Greyt Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,997
    Complaining about people saying "first world problems" is such a first world problem.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

    “A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

    - King Stannis Baratheon

  11. #11
    its overall meaning is don't act like a little thing that went wrong will be the end of your life because there are must worse situations people are in.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk

  12. #12
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    6,065
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So because its a meme we can't take issue with it? I had no idea that meme's were protected speech. Because something like 'butthurt' or 'pihb' are great memes? What an awesome pov.
    Memes are usually designed to annoy you, mostly. This isn't a new phenomena. And honestly, this one isn't that bad, you hardly see it, it's no where near ARROW IN THE KNEE HURRR levels.


  13. #13
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    Complaining about people saying "first world problems" is such a first world problem.
    This so much.


    Anyways, I don't mind it when people use the term. I think it's used more for humor than actually being serious though. If you are born into a first world country, then it's your birthright to complain about it :P.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Lol, I was going to say I use it ironically, but that might just make people even angrier.

    Tbh I do think it's overused, but the underlying message is still the same. Not to be a dick or anything but this thread is an example, people are complaining about a meme, while some people are worrying if they'll live to see tomorrow.

    Every time I see it I just take a step back and question how important whatever it is I'm complaining about REALLY is, and often I realise that it's not really that important, next time you see it, just take a step back and consider if it's really worth your time.

    Congratulations, you're a better person than me. Does that make you feel better?

    OT: I agree. So what if other people have more difficult problems than I do (food/shelter/etc), that doesn't change the fact that I perceive my problem to be important and your dismissal of my problem as not being really worth my time ticks me off - cuz you know what? It IS worth my time. Because I personally feel that it's a problem - and frankly, idc if others don't think it's a real problem, because I do. dang it.

    TL; DR - people that use that stupid phrase should just stfu.

  15. #15
    Fluffy Kitten Dacien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    9,069
    So this thread is going downhill pretty quickly. Not much to discuss anyway. Closed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •