Page 1 of 19
... LastLast

They changed Ji Firepaw :(

We all know about that one infamous line of his. "Wow you are some kind of gorgeous aren't you? I can tell we are going to be good friends!".

Well because a few people for some odd reason got offended at being flirted with by an NPC, Blizzard took that unique npc and nerfed him down to be just like the other stale NPC's. He now says "You seem poised and ready. I can tell we are going to be good friends."

Sorry but that just seems wrong to me. NPC's need to have more life to them. They need to stand out in the world. Ji no longer stands out. He is just another questgiver with almost no personality. It's shameful that they would listen to a few people who were offended over nothing to change him like that.

First of all

NO we dont all know his infamous line.

Secondly, i'm surprised Blizzard apparently heeded some anal person that complained about it.
    Thirdly, i'm surprised that you're upset about this. There's plenty of "life to npc's" avaliable if you go about reading quest texts, talking to npc's.

Shameful? I think that's laying it on a bit thick. Companies want to make their product appealing to as many people as possible. If some are offended, that hurts their business, so they change it. Whether you think the offensiveness is valid or not is irrelevant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Reading his blurb that's floating around the interwebs, the original quote seems to fit with his personality, and I don't think anyone needed to freak out over it (especially if the freakout was "ew gay").

HOWEVER, I can understand it being out of place for someone who's essentially a faction leader. Imagine rolling into SW keep or Battle for the Undercity and Varian going "Hey baby, what's shakin', you're looking good", etc.

Also, the original line reads kind of awkwardly to me. Not the flirting, but the word choice and grammar.

I liked Ji's original quote.

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    Shameful? I think that's laying it on a bit thick. Companies want to make their product appealing to as many people as possible. If some are offended, that hurts their business, so they change it. Whether you think the offensiveness is valid or not is irrelevant.
    its called a vocal minority for a reason though
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    its called a vocal minority for a reason though
    Every dollar counts when you are in the business of selling product.

We're talking about a single NPC here ........ SINGLE NPC!!!
    2 lines of text from said NPC will NOT hurt any business whatsoever.

My opinion ? Huge overreaction from Blizzard.
    Last edited by rad586; 2012-04-12 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tides View Post
    First of all

NO we dont all know his infamous line.

Secondly, i'm surprised Blizzard apparently heeded some anal person that complained about it.
    Thirdly, i'm surprised that you're upset about this. There's plenty of "life to npc's" avaliable if you go about reading quest texts, talking to npc's.
    We don't feel very well today, do we?! In every post you make there's something pessimistic!

Double standards.

Snurk Bucksquick has been flirting with our male toons for years and nobody has ever bothered with that.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    It's a good thing sexism only works one way and there aren't several female NPCs that flirt with males and lay it on even thicker than Ji.

Every dollar counts when you are in the business of selling product.
    Now the people who actually liked the old way the character was portrayed will speak up and there will be more upset people than before.

What if the change offends me? Wouldn't that hurt their business?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by rad586 View Post
    We're talking about a single NPC here ........ SINGLE NPC!!!
    2 lines of text from said NPC that you're most likely won't see out of the Pandaren starting zone will NOT hurt any business whatsoever.

My opinion ? Huge overreaction from Blizzard.
    Yes, we are talking about a single line of dialogue from a single NPC. It's not a big deal. So why are you getting so upset about it?

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    What if the change offends me? Wouldn't that hurt their business?
    Maybe you should start a petition.

Deleted
    They changed one NPC's line. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahahaha. A shame.

His counterpart comes off as a little bland to me. Pity he couldn't keep his pseudo-lecherous demeanor.

Huge over-reaction imo. Makes me want to start a campaign to get other single lines of npc text changed.

Because it's freaking ridiculous that they took the time to respond to this non-controversy. Literally this was about one person who didn't like the line.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

same goes to reason what other find offensive shouldnt be any of my concern. its their problem they need to get over it not force their ideals on me. unfortunately we are all about babying ppl and being PC these days instead of everyone minding their own business and dealing w/ their own problems.

One person who really may not have even actually been offended, who was just trolling. Possibly the greatest trolljob ever.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Theralions original voice.

A week later it was forgotten.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.