Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
... LastLast
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    what source is there that catalogues the changing cultural attitudes of society over a number of centuries, short of history books and anecdotal knowledge? I don't have a source for 'the sky is blue' but I can say it with confidence.
    Sky being blue is common knowledge.


    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    positive discrimination I guess does resemble an idealogical eye for an eye. however, it's been proven the only effective means of pushing society towards equality. if you have an alternative I'm all ears.

    Your assertion that "positive discrimination" is the only effective means of pushing societies towards equality is not common knowledge, is highly disputable, and is going to require an expert source who has themself analyzed the historical trends to come to a conclusion that is devoid of the influence of anecdotal experience.
    --
    Boub called me a fanboy
    --
    #SaveDrainSoul #TakeMaleficGraspInstead

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
    I disagree with your opinion that this line was sexist. But, because I am male, you brush that off as me being simply incapable of recognizing or understanding sexism.

    You are a bigot.
    at what point in your post do you make an arugment to disagree that the line is sexist? I am male, how can I brush you off as being incapable of recognising sexism, but do it myself? I am a bigot yeah, I have an intense dislike to societal groups who propagate inequality. I am aware of the irony, I have accepted it. I'm willing to be a bad person for what I consider to be a greater good.

  3. #183
    Brewmaster videotape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,316
    Maybe they just didn't like the line and decided to change it.

    It was kind of cheesy.

  4. #184
    OP you do seem to forget that they have tailored this game more for kids over the years
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Sky being blue is common knowledge.





    Your assertion that "positive discrimination" is the only effective means of pushing societies towards equality is not common knowledge, is highly disputable, and is going to require an expert source who has themself analyzed the historical trends to come to a conclusion that is devoid of the influence of anecdotal experience.
    okay, I cba to go back and edit but I'll concede that what I meant was: I believe that it is the only effective means of pushing society towards equality, based on my own anecdotal knowledge of history.

  6. #186
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    115
    @ Crabmousse By the way, what makes you think I, or the others, are white western males?

  7. #187
    Dreadlord Ximinez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Nerdy South
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Because he's the effective 'faction leader' of Horde pandaren, a representative, rather than a one off questgiver.
    since when are the horde gallant knights of chivalry with proper manners and Thrall is the exception not the rule? Yeah thought so. It fits him perfectly. Doesn't even matter if he's a FL or not.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    HOWEVER, I can understand it being out of place for someone who's essentially a faction leader. Imagine rolling into SW keep or Battle for the Undercity and Varian going "Hey baby, what's shakin', you're looking good", etc.
    I have two words for you; Bill Clinton.

  9. #189
    Dreadlord thundercles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Next door.
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    So, who thinks there would be no complaints if Thrall was hitting on every guy that passed by?
    There would be a couple of complaints. Those would quickly be drowned out by tons of people flooding in to call the complainers homophobic bigots. And Thrall would continue to hit on every guy that passed by and Blizzard would never say or do anything about it ever again.

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Because he's the effective 'faction leader' of Horde pandaren, a representative, rather than a one off questgiver.
    I've interacted with Garrosh all of once on my goblin shaman. That was when he executed a general for being a genocidal maniac. Should I have taken from that incident that Garrosh was a level-headed, even-tempered, wise leader? I could have, but boy would I have been wrong.

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
    There would be a couple of complaints. Those would quickly be drowned out by tons of people flooding in to call the complainers homophobic bigots. And Thrall would continue to hit on every guy that passed by and Blizzard would never say or do anything about it ever again.
    I wish that was true, the amount of pressure parent groups put on video game manufacturers who allow LGBT relationships in games is enough to ensure Blizzard never try it.

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Ahahaha. A shame.

    His counterpart comes off as a little bland to me. Pity he couldn't keep his pseudo-lecherous demeanor.
    i think this is the major point about the change, the line sounds sleezy, and i could imagine many women being offended by it, so no, it doesnt seem that odd for them to change it, while i do like the character the original line had, it shouldnt be something everyone gets all up in arms over.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Maedra View Post
    @ Crabmousse By the way, what makes you think I, or the others, are white western males?
    I don't, and it's not relevant anyway because the majority attitudes are determined entirely by white western males.

  14. #194
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    sure it does. is it particular brand of racism that requires the most immediate action? not if you ask me.

    Racism is racism. There is no better version. True equality comes from understanding and respect for individuals.

    It's sad that white people can't defend themselves without being "privileged" or "racist"

    To assume all white people are priviledged is gross generalization mixed with a complete lack of understanding concerning their specific situation. Maybe you could develop a privilege calculatr app that compares and contrasts them.
    Maybe a better solution would just have people respecting and empathizing with eac other as individual human beings.
    You're just as ignorant as the bigots you claim to despise if you assume everyone who is white is more privileged than you simply because of their skin color. That is racist if you ask me.


    Read this if you missed my previous post friend,
    http://www.aswedeingermany.de/60Misc/50Privilege.html

  15. #195
    The Patient Firen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    I don't know about that. It is kinda upsetting that a really unique character who stood out, was nerfed down in personality. It was an unnecessary change. One I really think should be reverted. To me, there was no reason for people to be offended at being called gorgeous.
    Really? This ONE LINE defined that character so much and made him "stay out"? Or would you actually have not even noticed what he said if there hadn't been such a huge discussion about it?

  16. #196
    not accepting replies unless people have read everything I've written in this thread.

  17. #197
    Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    OP you do seem to forget that they have tailored this game more for kids over the years
    you seem to forget that when most ppl started playing this game they were kids, just cause YOU grow up, doesnt mean the game has to
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Racism is racism. There is no better version. True equality comes from understanding and respect for individuals.

    It's sad that white people can't defend themselves without being "privileged" or "racist"

    To assume all white people are priviledged is gross generalization mixed with a complete lack of understanding concerning their specific situation. Maybe you could develop a privilege calculatr app that compares and contrasts them.
    Maybe a better solution would just have people respecting and empathizing with eac other as individual human beings.
    You're just as ignorant as the bigots you claim to despise if you assume everyone who is white is more privileged than you simply because of their skin color. That is racist if you ask me.
    While I don't think crabmousse actually deserves anymore attention, I can't help but agree. He basically discriminates against people with valid points who cannot change who they are, coming off as bigoted and hypocritical. (Obviously) My opinion as a rational human being, white male or not, is just as valid as GreatOaks, or even crabmousses.

    And all racism is an equal problem. Infact, crabmousse ends up supporting racism by perpetuating the "superiority" of white males versus others. The best way to end racism nowadays is to ignore race, said someone who WASN'T a white male. What a world.

  19. #199
    Dreadlord thundercles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Next door.
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    I don't, and it's not relevant anyway because the majority attitudes are determined entirely by white western males.
    This is a bigoted assumption. What is with your prejudice against white western males? Why do you insist on calling women a minority group when they comprise literally HALF the world's population?

    How come all your arguments revolve around your personal assumptions about what entire groups of people do?

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    not accepting replies unless people have read everything I've written in this thread.
    I've read everything! I think you're fighting the good fight. Thank you for being so cool.

    This really wasn't about me being a prude, or some feminist (although I am, deal with it), it was that it was a weird, lazy line from someone who thought it was complimentary and I wanted it changed. It did. It now reads better, the character stays mostly intact and people aren't feeling gross. I guess that makes me a terrible person.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •