Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    Double standards.

Snurk Bucksquick has been flirting with our male toons for years and nobody has ever bothered with that.
    With a name like that it's to be expected though.

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    if this were facebook I would like your post. I honestly don't see why so many people are SO upset about the removal of the offending line.
    This just in, a man liking a woman is offensive.

If Ji said this to men and it got removed, everyone would be all up in arms that they changed a possible gay characters dialogue.

Progression, 1 step forward 12 steps back.

People like you are why New Jersey had to change their state flag:

Last edited by Eggowaffles; 2012-04-12 at 06:46 PM.

it seems to have been pretty successful sexism baiting if that was the original intent. I think it was a really innocuous line of text, I think it upset someone who is particularly sensitive, and Blizzard took the simple step of removing it to placate the original poster, and to douse the flames of angry debate that it seemed to spawn.

honestly I think the line could even have been a placeholder. see Wrynn's 'heeeeeey girl' when the first female Pandas got the Stormwind.
    I think that it indeed was pretty successful. Wildly so. And everything else you said I agree with 100%. Including that the line itself may have been a placeholder.
    I think that people like myself are not outraged at the change itself. We're outraged at the outrage. I know that seems silly, but it's because be believe that the people claiming sexism and acting outraged by that are at best misguided and at worst intentionally misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    This just in, a man liking a woman is offensive.

If Ji said this to men and it got removed, everyone would be all up in arms that they changed a possible gay characters dialogue.

Progression, 1 step forward 12 steps back.

People like you are why New Jersey had to change their state flag:

whoa why so aggressive? what are 'people like me'?

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You know, by example, I once made a post about why blizzard refushes to acknowledge gay sexuality in world of warcraft. As a gay man, its the norm for me, yet blizzard don't appear to follow this, despite having a massive world of characters and stories, they don't acknowledge any form of it.

Many posters replied saying world of warcraft is a game that shouldn't have to give any sexual meaning to anything, so putting in gay characters shouldn't even be a requirement.

So now, people are saying that having an npc who emasculates female characters is fine? and yet having opening gay characters isn't?

This goes beyond the pale here.
    In all fairness, I believe there should be characters that sexualize women, characters that sexualize men, characters that insult them both, and gay characters. It takes all kinds. If you haven't offended someone, you're not doing it right.

While homosexuality is becoming more accepted than it once was in media, there is still a strange prejudice against it (living in California, the gay marriage debate is insane). The thing is, there are people who are so offended by it, they will avoid something with it in it. I honestly know a guy who would never watch a Tom Hanks movie because he played a gay guy in one (Philidelphia). Whereas, from what I've seen, gay people won't avoid something simply because they aren't represented in it. I mean, if there was gay bashing, yes, they would avoid/protest (and rightfully so). But the absence of gay people won't keep them away. So while I don't agree with it, the homosexuality being absent or very subtle in WoW is a business decision that keeps the most players.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!

whoa why so aggressive? what are 'people like me'?
    People who find a drunken fat npc in a video game that has a small flirt offensive?

You're complaining about this when they changed the whole "drunken brawler" thing from monk tanks? It should be pretty obvious that they are certainly trying to make this game more appealing for children/people who are offended easily.
    I didn't think they changed the drunken brawler thing because it offended people or there were kids around. I thought they changed it because they realized that it was stupid. The idea was good enough for a single movie (barely). That's it. And really only because it starred Jackie Chan.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 06:55 PM ----------

While homosexuality is becoming more accepted than it once was in media, there is still a strange prejudice against it
    That's because many of the opponents of it seem to think that passing a law allowing it will mean they have to get married to a gay person. You know, like so many of the wives of republican congressmen did.

People who find a drunken fat npc in a video game that has a small flirt offensive?
    you want to quote the post where I said that? maybe it was when I said

I can see both sides [...] but there's never going to be a weird asexual hybrid race of humans who are exactly alike; men will always be like Ji Firepaw.
    or perhaps

why not keep the line in, and have him later apologise to female players for his earlier attitude? have him learn something, everyone wins.
    or was it when I said

I think it was a really innocuous line of text
    Last edited by squidbear; 2012-04-12 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    With a name like that it's to be expected though.
    That's the problem. Blizzard can't write real characters anymore.

"Varian has flaws, he must die!"
    "Thrall did what he felt was right, he must die!"
    "Ji is a womanizer, he must die!"

"Oh this character with a name that is clearly meant to be a joke is a flirt. I can support this!"
    You don't create "justice" by destroying. That includes buildings, cars, or the careers of the people you want "justice" for.

Squidbear never said anything about being offended, and he or she has consistently been one of the most polite and level-headed posters in this thread so far.
    Over the last few pages I don't recall any of the posters who approved of the change mentioning that they found it outright "offensive", or getting up in arms at all. They're simply understanding of the issue and sympathetic to those who might have had a problem with it.

If something really isn't a big deal either way, making a change to save someone's feelings is hardly a mortal sin.

You know after some thinking. I gotta ask this question. Alright, so if Ji Firepaw saying to a female that she is gorgeous, is super offensive to the point Blizzard MUST remove it. What about in undercity where humans are being experimented on with the plague? Of the poor young women that are wearing next to nothing, begging and pleading to be freed. Why is such cruelty not offensive but a female character being complimented on beauty, is offensive?

Jeez, is this thread really still going? Do people have nothing better to do than castrate Ji Firepaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    Jeez, is this thread really still going? Do people have nothing better to do than castrate Ji Firepaw?
    they could keep the line in but introduce a dialogue option to do just that :P

Yup we better start going through all the /Flirts and nixing all the ones with sexual inuendo's now....oh wait thats all of them

http://www.wowwiki.com/Flirt
    My Personal/Guild YouTube Channel: Featuring Rise of Professional Gaming Documentary!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wodderwing2?feature=mhee

My Armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Muxx/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    You know after some thinking. I gotta ask this question. Alright, so if Ji Firepaw saying to a female that she is gorgeous, is super offensive to the point Blizzard MUST remove it. What about in undercity where humans are being experimented on with the plague? Of the poor young women that are wearing next to nothing, begging and pleading to be freed. Why is such cruelty not offensive but a female character being complimented on beauty, is offensive?
    I don't think citing dozens of examples of comparably sensitive content in the game is really helpful to the discussion at hand, do you?
    The fact of the matter is that we're dealing with an area of the game that happens to be under development and completely subject to change right now, and that someone *did* feel strongly enough about it to raise the issue.
    In this particular, comparatively unique case, it was acted upon, likely because the situation and the timing of it seemed appropriate to the developers.

Exaggerating and making a checklist of theoretical what-ifs doesn't really come into play unless they're issues that players demonstrably care about.

Quote Originally Posted by muxx View Post
    Yup we better start going through all the /Flirts and nixing all the ones with sexual inuendo's now....oh wait thats all of them

http://www.wowwiki.com/Flirt
    Only the male ones, because remember its ok when a woman does it.

Quote Originally Posted by personn5 View Post
    Only the male ones, because remember its ok when a woman does it.
    Right, right.
    My Personal/Guild YouTube Channel: Featuring Rise of Professional Gaming Documentary!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/wodderwing2?feature=mhee

My Armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Muxx/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Rubbish, he was terrible. He had the personality of a 12 year old boy who was just overly exited... HE STILL ACTS LIKE THIS! He is a terrible, terrible terrible npc.
    Just because he's immature doesn't make him a terrible character. I like that Ji is so excitable with all the super serious zen Pandaren.

His line was in perfect tune with his character, saying the first thing that comes to his mind. In this case his first thought about the girls was ooh pretty.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    I was about to respond with a possible hypothesis, but then I considered that I might be a victim of the gender-baiting some folks are accusing the originator of this controversy of. I wouldn't want it to come across as a possible attack on her, even if I feel there is a valid point to consider (to consider -- as in, it may be correct or incorrect).

Overall I feel this is a good discussion to have, even if folks can't agree. Especially if folks can't agree, actually. Doesn't do anyone any good to have their perspectives hidden -- because bringing things to light is the only way to understand the larger, fundamental issues at play. I just think where it gets obfuscated is that people are seeing different things as being the underlying issue.
    --
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Toy Train Set has been temporarily disabled.

I don't think the comment on looks is necessarily inappropriate for his character in general. However, I think it makes for a terrible first interaction. - The OP of the original protest thread.

Jeez guys, she wasn't trolling, she wasn't 'screaming' that she was offended or anything, she made a reasonable post.

It's not like Ji is OHMYGOD SO BLAND because of ONE dialogue change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3904851?page=1
    Twas brillig