Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotharfox View Post
    This wasn't just forum complaints, over on WoW Insider, there was an article written about the sexism in WoW. This mentioned how players treat another one when they find out she's a woman (in vent), how armor that covers a male is skimpy on a woman (plate bikinis), but the main focus of the article was how Ji addresses women as gorgeous, and men as strong. I thought the writer was overly offended, but as soon as I saw that, I knew it was going to be changed in the game. As I hardly read quest text, I'm not affected one way or another.

Here's the link to that article: http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/03/wh...world-of-warc/
    I can't believe people still keep going on about plate bikinis, that hasn't happened since Vanilla.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    You bring up a good point. Hell there is 1 female NPC that both factions meet, and many probably know who I speak of, that takes your head and plants it in her boobs. Mylune. Why aren't them same people being offended over her?
    because it isnt a man character commenting on a womans looks. i never knew it was sexist to call a woman gorgeous or beautiful. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    whine about this change in an equal world. it's not a big deal to you, it is however a big deal to someone who has to deal with the spectre of constant sexual harassment on a daily basis. removing a line of dialogue that was unpleasant for someone else shouldn't matter for you unless you disagree with the reason for it's removal, i.e you are a casual misogynist.
    What's misogynistic about the existence of a video game character who compliments females on their appearance ? Personally, I think your attitude is more sexist than Ji's original line of dialogue. You're implying that women have to be shielded from anything that acknowledges their femininity, that women are incapable of discerning from a character as being portrayed as flirtatious vs an entire video game company being misogynistic, and that women must be protected lest their fragile sensibilities be offended.
    Last edited by Count Zero; 2012-04-12 at 02:41 PM.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

whine about this change in an equal world. it's not a big deal to you, it is however a big deal to someone who has to deal with the spectre of constant sexual harassment on a daily basis. removing a line of dialogue that was unpleasant for someone else shouldn't matter for you unless you disagree with the reason for it's removal, i.e you are a casual misogynist.
    Again though, why aren't people complaining about Mylune, who puts her face in her boobs? Yet get offended over being called gorgeous? It seems like a double standard to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotharfox View Post
    This wasn't just forum complaints, over on WoW Insider, there was an article written about the sexism in WoW. This mentioned how players treat another one when they find out she's a woman (in vent), how armor that covers a male is skimpy on a woman (plate bikinis), but the main focus of the article was how Ji addresses women as gorgeous, and men as strong. I thought the writer was overly offended, but as soon as I saw that, I knew it was going to be changed in the game. As I hardly read quest text, I'm not affected one way or another.

Here's the link to that article: http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/03/wh...world-of-warc/

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 02:35 PM ----------

He greets you at level 10, when your Pandaren chooses to go Horde.
    Yeah that guy was way way over sensitive. I actually like some of them plate bikini's. Granted none of my plate wearing females have one on. But I am considering doing that with my paladin. But still, the guy is being way too sensitive I feel in that article.

Yeah that guy was way way over sensitive. I actually like some of them plate bikini's. Granted none of my plate wearing females have one on. But I am considering doing that with my paladin. But still, the guy is being way too sensitive I feel in that article.
    There's some people who likely wouldn't be happy unless all the female characters in WoW wear this:

10+ Year Old Account
    We all know about that one infamous line of his. "Wow you are some kind of gorgeous aren't you? I can tell we are going to be good friends!".

Well because a few people for some odd reason got offended at being flirted with by an NPC, Blizzard took that unique npc and nerfed him down to be just like the other stale NPC's. He now says "You seem poised and ready. I can tell we are going to be good friends."

Sorry but that just seems wrong to me. NPC's need to have more life to them. They need to stand out in the world. Ji no longer stands out. He is just another questgiver with almost no personality. It's shameful that they would listen to a few people who were offended over nothing to change him like that.
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/03/wh...orld-of-warc/4

It may have been more than just a few people...

Next things like this get changed all the time, could be copyright, could be to save face.

Remember the troll /joke? "I kill 2 dwarves in the mornin, I kill 2 dwarves at night?"

Very similar to the Bob Marley song... " I smoke 2 joints in the mornin, I smoke 2 joints at night..."

Not only was this borderline copyright infringement, some people found it wildly inappropriate (mainly because they had heard the song which... well... nm)

Point is, Blizzard isn't trying to rock the boat, and if they can keep the peace by changing a little bit of dialogue... well why not.

Quote Originally Posted by posessor View Post
    because it isnt a man character commenting on a womans looks. i never knew it was sexist to call a woman gorgeous or beautiful. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?
    I know right? Why they find being complimented as sexist, it just boggles my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    What's misogynistic about the existence of a video game character who compliments females on their appearance ? Personally, I think your attitude is more sexist than Ji's original line of dialogue. You're implying that women have to be shielded from anything that acknowledges their femininity, are incapable of discerning from a character as being portrayed as flirtatious vs an entire video game company being misogynistic, and must be protected lest their fragile sensibilities be offended.
    Agreed.

You bring up a good point. Hell there is 1 female NPC that both factions meet, and many probably know who I speak of, that takes your head and plants it in her boobs. Mylune. Why aren't them same people being offended over her?
    Hey, do not give them ideas, btw I always wanted that quest to be repeatable. Some people are so prude it is almost like a phobia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like this case is finally closed. Even if it was an unnecessary change for many people it doesn't affect anyone negatively now and I don't get why people still get upset about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    What's misogynistic about the existence of a video game character who compliments females on their appearance ? Personally, I think your attitude is more sexist than Ji's original line of dialogue. You're implying that women have to be shielded from anything that acknowledges their femininity, that women are incapable of discerning from a character as being portrayed as flirtatious vs an entire video game company being misogynistic, and that women must be protected lest their fragile sensibilities be offended.
    well your argument is pointless given it supports an example of gender inequality proven to offend women.

I find the change offensive.

We should start a petition to get that goblin woman in Razor Hill changed. But then again, we probably won't...because shit like that isn't important. At all. Why someone would get upset by that *one* line of dialogue in the first place boggles my mind.

This is why people hate feminists. You disagree with ANYTHING they say - you are a DAMNABLE VILLAIN.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    There's some people who likely wouldn't be happy unless all the female characters in WoW wear this:

Ugh, I'd hope not. I rather have a choice with my characters in how they dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/03/wh...orld-of-warc/4

It may have been more than just a few people...

Next things like this get changed all the time, could be copyright, could be to save face.

Remember the troll /joke? "I kill 2 dwarves in the mornin, I kill 2 dwarves at night?"

Very similar to the Bob Marley song... " I smoke 2 joints in the mornin, I smoke 2 joints at night..."

Not only was this borderline copyright infringement, some people found it wildly inappropriate (mainly because they had heard the song which... well... nm)

Point is, Blizzard isn't trying to rock the boat, and if they can keep the peace by changing a little bit of dialogue... well why not.
    And I still disagree with the removal of that line. Of course during the BC beta, the female draenei had a lot more /flirts. One in particular, involved sheeps, a gnome, and a staff of domination. It was a shame that was removed because some people got offended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firen View Post
    Seems like this case is finally closed. Even if it was an unnecessary change for many people it doesn't affect anyone negatively now and I don't get why people still get upset about this?
    I don't think anyone is really that upset. It just seems like a rather unnecessary change to make.

well your argument is pointless given it supports an example of gender inequality proven to offend women.
    Yes. It offends all women. Makes perfect sense.

I sense that we can say bye bye to the funny stuff that poped after you clear the Monkey's painting in the end of the wandering island...

"Mouth only hole that banana go in" "Don't roll in own poo unless want to smell poo all day" ...

These two made me laugh but I guess we'll not see them anymore...

They actually cattered to that whiny ***** on the forums? For some reason it doesn't surprise me, I actually liked that he was a corny guy, I didn't take it as flirting as such, I took it more like he was this grandpa-like dude.

Again though, why aren't people complaining about Mylune, who puts her face in her boobs? Yet get offended over being called gorgeous? It seems like a double standard to me.
    that particular player probably never noticed, I'll go make a post on the suggestions forum on battlenet asking that such a vapid, offensive portrait of feminity is removed. thanks for the heads up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I don't think anyone is really that upset. It just seems like a rather unnecessary change to make.
    I meant people still get into fights in this thread ^^

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    This is why people hate feminists. You disagree with ANYTHING they say - you are a DAMNABLE VILLAIN.
    nah people hate feminists because they hate women.