Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Blizzard is going by Family Guy FCC standards.

"As we all know, when one person finds something offensive, that means it offended one billion people. Ten people complained about that NPC and found it offensive, which means that it actually offended ten billion people."

I agree that it sucks, but to be honest I would blame the people who continue to whine about everything. Blizzard has no choice but to change things because of complaints. Some changes are easier to implement than others, and sadly this one was very easy to implement.

I think we should make a complaint thread bigger than theirs stating our distaste about the change. maybe they'll revert it? I doubt it, but one can hope.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    What if the change offends me? Wouldn't that hurt their business?
    No. Anyone who would be offended by something so silly, and then quit over it, would not have subscribed long anyway. Trade chat alone would send them running off to church hoping to erase those horrible anal comparisons from their mind.

On the other hand, small things like this keep many a player amused with the game, and more likely to continue subscribing.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlevicar View Post
    They changed one NPC's line. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    People complain on forums. GET OVER IT.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So, how do any of you even know why Blizzard changed it? Have there been complaints on the forum? If not, let's not assume things. (Don't try saying there have been if you can't provide an URL.)

made a feedback thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...7563774?page=1

And one person was all "He was complimenting females on their beauty and males on their strength, it was sexism" please. He was a straight guy. He did not come off as one to flirt with guys and girls. I don't know any straight guy that will tell a guy how handsome he is. The guys usually say "you look pretty strong" and the girls he flirts with.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    One person who really may not have even actually been offended, who was just trolling. Possibly the greatest trolljob ever.
    This pretty much. This was just one huge over reaction by blizzard because some guy at wow insider made an article hating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thedann View Post
    So, how do any of you even know why Blizzard changed it? Have there been complaints on the forum? If not, let's not assume things. (Don't try saying there have been if you can't provide an URL.)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3904851?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Imagine rolling into SW keep or Battle for the Undercity and Varian going "Hey baby, what's shakin', you're looking good", etc.
    I want this to happen..

But OT: It really sucks that they did that. I don't understand why people in this thread have to act like you're the worst person ever for being upset over it though. I mean, I never heard him say that, but the first time I did, it would have made me giggle.

But it's not like you should be surprised. Wow has traditionally been one of those games where they change things not to offend people. Remember Theralion? Yeah.
    d=(^_^)z

Deleted
    That sucks, but oh well, people will always find some stupid crap to get butthurt about. Did he say that to male characters to? IF so, I bet that's what offended people (Freud might want a word with them, too), since there are female npc's that do flirt with you. One I can remember is a female goblin in one of the towns in Durotar.

10+ Year Old Account
    The original line fits Ji better. His whole thing is action over inaction. He acts first, then thinks after. That would totally fit with a character who is prone to putting his foot in his mouth. Think how Han flirts with Leia, Han is a good example of the kind of character Ji is inspired by. The asian idea of the Lecherous Monk, but in a more family-game tone. Other characters in the same vein; Han Solo, Jack Sparrow, Romeo, D'Artagnan, etc. Hell, even Puss-in-Boots for chrissakes. No one got butthurt when the CGI cat awkwardly flirted with the ladies, but if its a CGI bear then "Back the fuggin' funbus up folks, we got ourselves a problem!!".
    Last edited by Urti; 2012-04-12 at 02:30 PM.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    This was just one huge over reaction by blizzard
    So basically you are overreacting to an overreaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Thedann View Post
    Yes, there were complaints on the official forum. I'll grab the url(s)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4362516881

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4362517482

I can't find the original thread anymore, but these two both reference its existence

edit/update:

Someone posted it here while I was searching:

I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the URL!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    That sucks, but oh well, people will always find some stupid crap to get butthurt about. Did he say that to male characters to? IF so, I bet that's what offended people (Freud might want a word with them, too), since there are female npc's that do flirt with you. One I can remember is a female goblin in one of the towns in Durotar.
    You bring up a good point. Hell there is 1 female NPC that both factions meet, and many probably know who I speak of, that takes your head and plants it in her boobs. Mylune. Why aren't them same people being offended over her?

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the reference for this supposed to be (if there is one), I feel so in the dark here...
    Favorite Owned Title: Champion of Ulduar
    Favorite Owned Mount: Ashes of Al'ar
    "Prisoners? Ha. With it bindings unshackled, its gonna' come after us, and we're going to be the prisoners" -- Brann Bronzebeard on Yogg'saron

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Yes, there were complaints on the official forum. I'll grab the url(s)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4362516881

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4362517482

I can't find the original thread anymore, but these two both reference its existence
    The original thread doesn't matter as long as other threads exist that complain. Thanks for the URLs as well!

Deleted
    just have him see the keen characterization you made, and also compliment on your achieved levels, problem solved
    ``wow jim, your ears are long and your suit looks really well on you, (btw no homo) and you already are lvl 86, gee I only know people of level 20 !``

whine about this change in an equal world. it's not a big deal to you, it is however a big deal to someone who has to deal with the spectre of constant sexual harassment on a daily basis. removing a line of dialogue that was unpleasant for someone else shouldn't matter for you unless you disagree with the reason for it's removal, i.e you are a casual misogynist.

10+ Year Old Account
    This wasn't just forum complaints, over on WoW Insider, there was an article written about the sexism in WoW. This mentioned how players treat another one when they find out she's a woman (in vent), how armor that covers a male is skimpy on a woman (plate bikinis), but the main focus of the article was how Ji addresses women as gorgeous, and men as strong. I thought the writer was overly offended, but as soon as I saw that, I knew it was going to be changed in the game. As I hardly read quest text, I'm not affected one way or another.

Here's the link to that article: http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/03/wh...world-of-warc/

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clam View Post
    just have him see the keen characterization you made, and also compliment on your achieved levels, problem solved
    ``wow jim, your ears are long and your suit looks really well on you, (btw no homo) and you already are lvl 86, gee I only know people of level 20 !``
    He greets you at level 10, when your Pandaren chooses to go Horde.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    We all know about that one infamous line of his. "Wow you are some kind of gorgeous aren't you? I can tell we are going to be good friends!".

Well because a few people for some odd reason got offended at being flirted with by an NPC, Blizzard took that unique npc and nerfed him down to be just like the other stale NPC's. He now says "You seem poised and ready. I can tell we are going to be good friends."

Sorry but that just seems wrong to me. NPC's need to have more life to them. They need to stand out in the world. Ji no longer stands out. He is just another questgiver with almost no personality. It's shameful that they would listen to a few people who were offended over nothing to change him like that.
    Moral of the story; people need to grow a fucking spine. The fact is that there are some people who want to be offended; if there's a big jolly panda that compliments a girl in a flirtatious way then you can bet your ass that some raging pierced/tattoo'd foaming-at-the-mouth feminist is going to have a field day with her persecution complex. Well they got their way, to which I say; take your persecution complex and shove it up your arse, though of us who can take a joke don't need it nor want it.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-04-12 at 02:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clam View Post
    He greets you at level 10, when your Pandaren chooses to go Horde.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!