Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    whoa why so aggressive? what are 'people like me'?
    People who find a drunken fat npc in a video game that has a small flirt offensive?

You're complaining about this when they changed the whole "drunken brawler" thing from monk tanks? It should be pretty obvious that they are certainly trying to make this game more appealing for children/people who are offended easily.
    I didn't think they changed the drunken brawler thing because it offended people or there were kids around. I thought they changed it because they realized that it was stupid. The idea was good enough for a single movie (barely). That's it. And really only because it starred Jackie Chan.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 06:55 PM ----------

While homosexuality is becoming more accepted than it once was in media, there is still a strange prejudice against it
    That's because many of the opponents of it seem to think that passing a law allowing it will mean they have to get married to a gay person. You know, like so many of the wives of republican congressmen did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggowaffles View Post
    People who find a drunken fat npc in a video game that has a small flirt offensive?
    you want to quote the post where I said that? maybe it was when I said

I can see both sides [...] but there's never going to be a weird asexual hybrid race of humans who are exactly alike; men will always be like Ji Firepaw.
    or perhaps

why not keep the line in, and have him later apologise to female players for his earlier attitude? have him learn something, everyone wins.
    or was it when I said

I think it was a really innocuous line of text
    Last edited by mmoc3face9b311; 2012-04-12 at 07:03 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    With a name like that it's to be expected though.
    That's the problem. Blizzard can't write real characters anymore.

"Varian has flaws, he must die!"
    "Thrall did what he felt was right, he must die!"
    "Ji is a womanizer, he must die!"

"Oh this character with a name that is clearly meant to be a joke is a flirt. I can support this!"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Squidbear never said anything about being offended, and he or she has consistently been one of the most polite and level-headed posters in this thread so far.
    Over the last few pages I don't recall any of the posters who approved of the change mentioning that they found it outright "offensive", or getting up in arms at all. They're simply understanding of the issue and sympathetic to those who might have had a problem with it.

If something really isn't a big deal either way, making a change to save someone's feelings is hardly a mortal sin.

You know after some thinking. I gotta ask this question. Alright, so if Ji Firepaw saying to a female that she is gorgeous, is super offensive to the point Blizzard MUST remove it. What about in undercity where humans are being experimented on with the plague? Of the poor young women that are wearing next to nothing, begging and pleading to be freed. Why is such cruelty not offensive but a female character being complimented on beauty, is offensive?

Jeez, is this thread really still going? Do people have nothing better to do than castrate Ji Firepaw?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    Jeez, is this thread really still going? Do people have nothing better to do than castrate Ji Firepaw?
    they could keep the line in but introduce a dialogue option to do just that :P

Yup we better start going through all the /Flirts and nixing all the ones with sexual inuendo's now....oh wait thats all of them

http://www.wowwiki.com/Flirt

Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    You know after some thinking. I gotta ask this question. Alright, so if Ji Firepaw saying to a female that she is gorgeous, is super offensive to the point Blizzard MUST remove it. What about in undercity where humans are being experimented on with the plague? Of the poor young women that are wearing next to nothing, begging and pleading to be freed. Why is such cruelty not offensive but a female character being complimented on beauty, is offensive?
    I don't think citing dozens of examples of comparably sensitive content in the game is really helpful to the discussion at hand, do you?
    The fact of the matter is that we're dealing with an area of the game that happens to be under development and completely subject to change right now, and that someone *did* feel strongly enough about it to raise the issue.
    In this particular, comparatively unique case, it was acted upon, likely because the situation and the timing of it seemed appropriate to the developers.

Exaggerating and making a checklist of theoretical what-ifs doesn't really come into play unless they're issues that players demonstrably care about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muxx View Post
    Yup we better start going through all the /Flirts and nixing all the ones with sexual inuendo's now....oh wait thats all of them

http://www.wowwiki.com/Flirt
    Only the male ones, because remember its ok when a woman does it.

Quote Originally Posted by personn5 View Post
    Only the male ones, because remember its ok when a woman does it.
    Right, right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Rubbish, he was terrible. He had the personality of a 12 year old boy who was just overly exited... HE STILL ACTS LIKE THIS! He is a terrible, terrible terrible npc.
    Just because he's immature doesn't make him a terrible character. I like that Ji is so excitable with all the super serious zen Pandaren.

His line was in perfect tune with his character, saying the first thing that comes to his mind. In this case his first thought about the girls was ooh pretty.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

I was about to respond with a possible hypothesis, but then I considered that I might be a victim of the gender-baiting some folks are accusing the originator of this controversy of. I wouldn't want it to come across as a possible attack on her, even if I feel there is a valid point to consider (to consider -- as in, it may be correct or incorrect).

Overall I feel this is a good discussion to have, even if folks can't agree. Especially if folks can't agree, actually. Doesn't do anyone any good to have their perspectives hidden -- because bringing things to light is the only way to understand the larger, fundamental issues at play. I just think where it gets obfuscated is that people are seeing different things as being the underlying issue.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I don't think the comment on looks is necessarily inappropriate for his character in general. However, I think it makes for a terrible first interaction. - The OP of the original protest thread.

Jeez guys, she wasn't trolling, she wasn't 'screaming' that she was offended or anything, she made a reasonable post.

It's not like Ji is OHMYGOD SO BLAND because of ONE dialogue change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3904851?page=1
    Twas brillig

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I don't think citing dozens of examples of comparably sensitive content in the game is really helpful to the discussion at hand, do you?
    The fact of the matter is that we're dealing with an area of the game that happens to be under development and completely subject to change right now, and that someone *did* feel strongly enough about it to raise the issue.
    In this particular, comparatively unique case, it was acted upon, likely because the situation and the timing of it seemed appropriate to the developers.

Exaggerating and making a checklist of theoretical what-ifs doesn't really come into play unless they're issues that players demonstrably care about.
    Except of course when there is The exact same situation, only the male is being hit on

Yet nobody complains about that...
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

There's a human female NPC in the Undercity who is the mind slave of a Male Forsaken ( http://www.wowpedia.org/Theresa ). Apparently that's less offensive than a flirting panda.

What ever happened to priorities?
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-04-12 at 07:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercles View Post
    You keep missing the point. Literally ANYTHING can be considered offensive to somebody, somewhere. So we should just constantly edit and censor ourselves to avoid perchance offending someone who is being irrational?.
    anything can be offensive to someone sure, but most things aren't to anyone.

the dialogue was definitely not explicitly sexist. however it can be (and was) associated with a certain kind of sexism. don't get me wrong, even if it was sexism (we don't know the particular intent of the development team) it was a watered down, vague kind of objectification, the kind of attitude that would be absolutely fine in a situation where the parties are on an equal footing. I think it was this association with the wolf-whistling or arse-grabbing that some women are subject too that probably lead the original poster to make her complaint, and rather than have anyone else make this same association Blizzard changed it, because it definitely wasn't a cornerstone of the guys character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    I don't think the comment on looks is necessarily inappropriate for his character in general. However, I think it makes for a terrible first interaction. - The OP of the original protest thread.

Jeez guys, she wasn't trolling, she wasn't 'screaming' that she was offended or anything, she made a reasonable post.

It's not like Ji is OHMYGOD SO BLAND because of ONE dialogue change.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3904851?page=1
    Reasonable post, fundamentally-flawed underlying argument, imo.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Except of course when there is The exact same situation, only the male is being hit on

Yet nobody complains about that...
    Exactly, and that's the point here: nobody complains about it. Presumably because nobody had a problem with it.
    In this situation, someone *did* have a problem with it, and that was followed up upon.