Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimbo83 View Post
    I don't know about all the other ladies here, but I for one love it when my man tells me I'm beautiful/gorgeous/pretty. I don't see how "gorgeous" is an offensive term. I wouldn't be offended by it at all. I'm sure I'll get some kind of "you must be a brainwashed female controlled by a male society" but whatever, I know me and what I'm like. Just don't understand how "gorgeous" is bad now.
    of course you do, but do you have the same attitude if a greasy old stranger tells you this when you're waiting for a bus or something?

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    have been away hanging up washing and thinking about this whole thing, and I have a question

the overriding sentiment here seems to be that:

a) it's not sexist
    b) sexism towards men is not given the same level of gravity
    c) we don't want bland, homogenised characterisation in the interests of equality

so how do you procede? the problem I see here is that women do suffer from a certain level of institutionalised oppression, I think we can all agree on that (the extent of which we won't agree on, but that's for another thread). in other words, there is not equality in the world. if we can agree on that, then exactly how do we proceed? if we will not accept a clampdown on all forms of gender stereotyping (women; beauty, men; strength) and an overall homogenisation, are we asking for a paradigm in which we stereotype wildly and promote imbalance?

a women objected to this because she found it to be sexist, the argument seems to be that it's not sexist, and even if it was it's okay because there is female chauvanism ingame also. are we asking women to accept all forms of sexism?

It's entertainment. Gregor Clegane (A Song of Ice and Fire) rapes half the women in Westeros. Does that mean the author thinks that's acceptable behavior? Does that mean the readers should find that behavior acceptable?

At one point, Varian pretty much said, "The only good orc is a dead orc." People called him all sorts of names, but I'd hope that most realize that it's just a character, and that his racism wasn't a reflection of the beliefs of the game's developers or players.

Why should a character saying or doing something that a player objects to necessitate a change?

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's entertainment. Gregor Clegane (A Song of Ice and Fire) rapes half the women in Westeros. Does that mean the author thinks that's acceptable behavior? Does that mean the readers should find that behavior acceptable?

At one point, Varian pretty much said, "The only good orc is a dead orc." People called him all sorts of names, but I'd hope that most realize that it's just a character, and that his racism wasn't a reflection of the beliefs of the game's developers or players.

Why should a character saying or doing something that a player objects to necessitate a change?
    I think we're talking about two totally different things though. a fictional account of mass rape is about rape, it contextualises itself in our morality; we know it's wrong. if we apply that same standard to WoW, would it then be acceptable for there to be a quest in which our character was raped repeatedly in an interactive way? I think that Ji's line is acceptable, but I do not think that hypothetical quest would be.

I suspect this will be a case of "Oh, I should probably have locked this 10 pages ago. Sorry."
    Sometimes I think I should have rolled a Priest....

ALL this argument and the best line yet is:

YOU are not YOUR Character. Why are you getting creeped out by something not being said to you but your character by another character. LOL
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I suspect this will be a case of "Oh, I should probably have locked this 10 pages ago. Sorry."
    I dunno, it got a little tetchy a while back but it's pretty civil and constructive now =/

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    There is every disadvantage to changing some text if a few damn people find it rude. They will have to gut the entire damn game to remove any text that anyone complains about.

Garrosh calling Sylvanas a bitch ? Gone. References to Thrall being a slave ? Gone. Most /flirt emotes ? Gone. Many of the /silly emotes. And that's just what came off the top of my head in five seconds.
    I've seen threads complaining about this line before it was changed, I've seen no such thing for any other line in the game.
    Clearly it was offensive enough to some that they cared more than /silly

And please don't use the tired old slippery slope argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Offending anyone is to be avoided.
    Go for it. You're in for a treat.

I'm Female, I liked how Ji complimented my Character and I wish they hadn't changed it

I can't believe that some Women are so highly strung they get pissy over something an NPC says in a Video Game... A VIDEO GAME for Flying Spaghetti Monsters sake! Why not go a complain about the many other games about that are far more "sexist" than Ji? God of War for example... sexism: check, but does it change my view and love for the game? No... because it's a Game and not reality! People have serious issues if they got offended by one thing an NPC that is meant to be a Womaniser says, serious... issues.

Stick need to be removed from butts asap!

This is also relevant: http://www.traemcneely.com/wp-conten...312443_n1.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Keoren View Post
    Go for it. You're in for a treat.
    *where possible
    And being offended because "they nerfed my class" doesn't count
    Game Balance is one of the many things that are more important!

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I'm inclined to agree, really. Closed, if anyone wants to open a new thread on the topic, let's make sure the discussion doesn't spiral like it did.

Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.