View Poll Results: Buy new 600$ PC or instal Windows on Mac?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • Buy new 600$ PC.

25 80.65%
  • Instal Windows through Bootcamp.

6 19.35%
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Is it worth to buy new PC for GW2 ?

Guild Wars 2 is a first game that made me excited since WoW. I been playing WoW since TBC and now looking to switch to something else. No other MMOS look interesting to me. However, I am playing on MacBook Pro. So there are only few games that I can play. Recently, GW2 attracts my attention more and more and now I am stuck between two choices: Buy new PC ( around 600$ without the monitor ) or instal Windows ( 100$ bootcamp ) on my Mac. My Macs stats are : 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OS X 10.6.8, which I bought in 2010
    I am looking for some information, tips and just useful advises from mmo-champs! Any help would be appreciated.

The more important info will be your graphics card. If you install bootcamp, you can startup in windows, so it's just like having a regular windows PC, so if you have the specs, you'll be fine. Since you say 'without a monitor' I presume you have an iMac, which I think would have a ATI Radeon HD 5670. You can look on ANets site and see if that's listed as being sufficient.
    Donpablo, Tank of Computus Demum a 25 man horde raiding guild on Eonar. Currently 6/8 H

10+ Year Old Account
    nope, I have MacBook Pro laptop and the monitor that I have is a nice samsung 21 inch which I got from my friend.

More stats on my Mac laptop:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f6

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB

just get the new comp but don't put all your faith in GW2 that is only one game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did not get as much response as i hoped, anyone else can share an opinion ?

It's never worth it to purchase a new computer (or even a console for that matter) just because of a single game, but I'll assume that you'll actually use it for more than just a dedicated GW2 machine. I don't know much about Bootcamp or Mac in general but I do know a lot about Virtual machines and I assume that Bootcamp works off similar principles. I wouldn't recommend that you play any game in a virtual environment if your looking for any kind of performance.

On top of that I would recommend a PC over Mac any day just because you'll get twice the performance for half the price.

Edit>
    After looking at your specs, you'll defiantly want to get something new.
    also looking into it more bootcamp isn't virtual, parallels is the Mac version of a Windows VM.
    Last edited by WarClark; 2012-04-13 at 09:12 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Knowing how to Google "4.3 Shadow spec" doesn't automatically make you a better player.

Even with bootcamp there are many bugs/errors with games. Also you can build a PC for like 700-800$ that is about the same strength of a 1500-2000$ mac.

I would imagine that you'll end up playing almost if not all of your games on the PC once you have it. It just blows a Macbook out of the water anyhow, and like Windfish said, the price comparison from PC to Mac is atrocious, you would be better off with the $600 budget PC.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i had a similar macbook too that, and since wow started running horribly i have since upgraded. GW2 is being touted by its beatiful graphics, so i dont see integrated graphics running it very well. a new computer will be required to play it in your case. the graphics in your macbook is below the minimum requirements.

since i feel we are/were in similar situations, ill share what i did...i traded in my old core 2 duo MB for the new MB air and use that for school and just laying around, its very nice having a mac as its just a nicer OS to use for most things. i ended up building a PC that was supposed to be a 600$ build and ended up alot more but i use that for all my gaming and movies etc... its a very nice combo to have, you wont regret it i promise:P keep your MBP and build a bang for your buck gaming PC.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-04-16 at 07:49 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

10+ Year Old Account
    ok, i guess i will buy new PC