Deleted

Exclamation Need help with PSU and Front Panel Connectors

Specs are in the bottom of this post.

So TL;DR, I'm a huge noob at this. I've got all of my parts here, they fit fine, I can get the memory in properly, got the GPU in properly (it's a tight fit but goes in). CPU and the HSF are also fine. Had to add a little pressure to the CPU holder's handle to get it down.

Now to the important part - When I tried an out-of-case boot, the PSU wouldn't do anything. No noise, no fans, no LEDs on the motherboard or the PSU.

My power supply's main ATX connector (20 pin) also comes with an additional 4-pin connection that is next to the main 20 - I had a lot of trouble getting this to go in all the way into the socket - I found out today though that I could secure both the 20 pin and the 4 pin by inserting the 4 pin connection first, then the 20 pin, but the PSU still did nothing, and the motherboard still did nothing.

BUT - I think this is my solution. I need advice on if this is the right thing to do in my situation:

Last time I tried 'booting' I went on the internet and found out that booting means switching the power on at the case switch, not by switching on the power supply (/facepalm, I know).

So basically, if I have those ATX connectors inserted properly, with all cards inserted properly, then hook up the front panel connectors, then switch on at the case, should it turn on?

ALSO: I don't have a SPEAKER front panel connector, usually described as a 4pin connection - I have the following F Panel Connectors:

- HD Audio (9 pin with 1 dummy on the top row, second from the left)
    - H.D.D LED (2 pin i think)
    - Reset Switch (2 pin)
    - Power Switch (2pin)
    - Power LED + (single pin)
    - Power LED - (single pin)

I also have 2 or 3 USB 3.0 connectors coming from the case. Could someone possibly explain what these are intended for?

So my 3 questions in summary:

- Am I being retarded and the PSU isn't faulty, but i'm supposed to switch on at the case for it to start working?
    - Should I be looking for a SPEAKER connector?
    - What do the case USB connectors do?

Any help seriously appreciated.

-First time builder

Case-
    Manufacturer: Zalman
    Model #: Z11 Regular
    Name: Zalman Z11
    Link if possible:

Ram-
    Manufacturer: Kingston
    Model #: Hyper-X DDR3 LE (red)
    Speed: 1600mhz
    Size: It fits
    Link if possible:

CPU-
    Manufacturer: intel
    Model #: i5-2500k
    Speed: 3.3ghz
    Link if possible:

PSU-
    Manufacturer: coolermaster
    Model #: GX Bronze
    Wattage: 650w
    Link if possible:

GPU-
    Manufacturer: Palit
    Model #: GTX 560 ti 448
    DxDiag: n/a
    Link if possible:

Mobo-
    Manufacturer: Gigabyte
    Model #: Z68-AP-D3
    Link if possible:

Operating System-
    Name: w7 home premium
    Bit: 64

Resolution-
    Size: 1920x1080

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Specs are in the bottom of this post.

So TL;DR, I'm a huge noob at this. I've got all of my parts here, they fit fine, I can get the memory in properly, got the GPU in properly (it's a tight fit but goes in). CPU and the HSF are also fine. Had to add a little pressure to the CPU holder's handle to get it down.

Now to the important part - When I tried an out-of-case boot, the PSU wouldn't do anything. No noise, no fans, no LEDs on the motherboard or the PSU.

My power supply's main ATX connector (20 pin) also comes with an additional 4-pin connection that is next to the main 20 - I had a lot of trouble getting this to go in all the way into the socket - I found out today though that I could secure both the 20 pin and the 4 pin by inserting the 4 pin connection first, then the 20 pin, but the PSU still did nothing, and the motherboard still did nothing.

BUT - I think this is my solution. I need advice on if this is the right thing to do in my situation:

Last time I tried 'booting' I went on the internet and found out that booting means switching the power on at the case switch, not by switching on the power supply (/facepalm, I know).

So basically, if I have those ATX connectors inserted properly, with all cards inserted properly, then hook up the front panel connectors, then switch on at the case, should it turn on?

ALSO: I don't have a SPEAKER front panel connector, usually described as a 4pin connection - I have the following F Panel Connectors:

- HD Audio (9 pin with 1 dummy on the top row, second from the left)
    - H.D.D LED (2 pin i think)
    - Reset Switch (2 pin)
    - Power Switch (2pin)
    - Power LED + (single pin)
    - Power LED - (single pin)

I also have 2 or 3 USB 3.0 connectors coming from the case. Could someone possibly explain what these are intended for?

So my 3 questions in summary:

- Am I being retarded and the PSU isn't faulty, but i'm supposed to switch on at the case for it to start working?

Any help seriously appreciated.

-First time builder
    Make sure to plug in the power cables for the CPU and the GPU and the power button lead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Make sure to plug in the power cables for the CPU and the GPU and the power button lead.
    This gpu has 2 6-pin sockets, should I use both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius
    Correct, to get the PSU to start, you have to make a connection between two of the wires on the 20-pin ATX connector. The only way to do this is to have it plugged into the motherboard, and to have the front panel hooked up correctly. Once hooked up correctly, pressing the power button will bridge those wires.

Make sure you have the 20+4 pin ATX and the 4 pin EPS cable plugged in (the CPU power connector in the top left area of the motherboard).

I'm not sure what you mean by a "SPEAKER connector". If you're talking about the audio and headphone jacks on your front panel, yes, there will be an audio header on your motherboard, it is the green rectangle on the bottom left of your motherboard.

They connect to the USB headers, which are the three blue rectangles on the bottom of your motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    This gpu has 2 6-pin sockets, should I use both of them?
    Yes.

Deleted
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "SPEAKER connector". If you're talking about the audio and headphone jacks on your front panel, yes, there will be an audio header on your motherboard, it is the green rectangle on the bottom left of your motherboard.
    Oh ok I got that in the right place \o/.

They connect to the USB headers, which are the three blue rectangles on the bottom of your motherboard.
    /facepalm ^^

Correct, to get the PSU to start, you have to make a connection between two of the wires on the 20-pin ATX connector. The only way to do this is to have it plugged into the motherboard, and to have the front panel hooked up correctly. Once hooked up correctly, pressing the power button will bridge those wires.

Make sure you have the 20+4 pin ATX and the 4 pin EPS cable plugged in (the CPU power connector in the top left area of the motherboard).
    Awesome, thank you.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Most motherboards have a 'PC Speaker' header as part of the front panel block. This is for communicating POST errors and other low-level alerts. Many cases completely omit the speaker altogether, though some do come with a little speaker like the one below:

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Most motherboards have a 'PC Speaker' header as part of the front panel block. This is for communicating POST errors and other low-level alerts. Many cases completely omit the speaker altogether, though some do come with a little speaker like the one below:

Most modern boards seem to have the speaker built in on the board itself. I haven't seen speakers in cases in many years.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Er, only lower end boards might have them because it's a waste of PCB space and modern boards have two-digit LCDs.

I thought that might be what the OP meant, but I wanted them to clarify before suggesting that. I don't think I've ever used a case speaker even though the Arc Midi comes with one.

Deleted
    Okay so I found out my real problem, guys.

There are two sets of short wires coming from the case that are unplugged;

Both of these sets consist of a Green wire+White wire and a Green wire+Black wire. Am I right in thinking these are the other end of the front panel stuff I connected to the mobo?

E: Do I plug them into eachother? >:O
    Last edited by mmoc3277a835d2; 2012-04-13 at 04:06 PM.

I would assume they're labeled with their intended purpose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I would assume they're labeled with their intended purpose.
    No labels, but they do fit into eachother.

Like the one green+white fits into the other green+white, same with the green+blacks.

Will report back after I've tried booting.

E: IT'S ALIVE!!! FINALLY!
    Last edited by mmoc3277a835d2; 2012-04-13 at 04:59 PM.

The case manual or the motherboard manual should be able to tell you what they are for and where to attach them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The case manual or the motherboard manual should be able to tell you what they are for and where to attach them.
    The Z11 manual doesn't explain what those cables are for but doesn't matter I got it working

Thanks to everyone.

Those wires you're talking about might be for your reset switch or HDD LED, hard to tell.

Either way, grats on getting it to work.