Thread: Stress test?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Stress test?

Why am I seeing that GW2 will have stress test today for 6 hours? Where do I get it?!?!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Invite only I believe.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll get an invite on your email if you get in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Invite only I believe.
    OHh god. Did I not get invite for that either ... -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    OHh god. Did I not get invite for that either ... -.-
    Eh, I don't have an invite either. Not that disappointed, it'll probably be a pretty limited and controlled test.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Eh, I don't have an invite either. Not that disappointed, it'll probably be a pretty limited and controlled test.
    Indeed. I'm taking comfort in the fact that 1) it's only 6hours, 2) I'm not usually awake at that time, and 3) it's most likely just going to be a bunch of people standing around for the most part, due to it being a stress test for the servers and not an actual gameplay test.

Deleted
    Yep, stress test. You do _NOT_ want to be part of this and this is _NOT_ part of pre-purchase beta test access. I would assume this stress test is to ensure that the servers can handle the load of the BWE.

"Stress testing is a form of testing that is used to determine the stability of a given system or entity. It involves testing beyond normal operational capacity, often to a breaking point." Stress-test is not gameplay test. It is not BWE. You do not miss anything here. Normally it is this: Stand in one place and see how lag increases while servers go down one by one. Fun? No.

It IS covered under the NDA so people who received one should remain quiet about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this is just pushing the limits of the servers for the Weekend Events. Nothing to worry about missing.

Deleted
    I'm glad to see people here are - once again - much more reasonable that other places I've been around in which the main discussion is 'UHHHH ARENANET LIED AND TOOK MY MONEY AND I DON'T GET TO GO INTO THE STRESS TEST!'.
    *sigh*
    I think they're actually being quite nice, and it shows that they want the servers to be online as much as possible so we can actually play in our BWE. And that's nice.
    I wonder if the stress test has any influence on when the beta happens though. As if, they'll decide if they need an extra week to prep the servers better or not...

I kind of wonder why they don't want to invite everyone possible, people who signed up for the beta and people who pre-purchased. I mean, if you're going to do a stress test, why not beat the hell out of the servers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGX View Post
    I kind of wonder why they don't want to invite everyone possible, people who signed up for the beta and people who pre-purchased. I mean, if you're going to do a stress test, why not beat the hell out of the servers?
    Bacause.. well maybe they do not want that laggy stuff to be first in-game impression of GW2 for so many people. ^_^

Deleted
    I think, and this is just my opinion with my limited knowledge of servers and stuff, that by doing a test in a short period of time with a limited amount of people, they'll be able to account for people better. It's more likely that in that 6 hour period the x amount of people they invited will log on at the same time - or be on at the same time - and therefore it will be easier to control and fix any problems arising from stress tests. Also, they might just open ONE server, and have everyone reaching max capacity there, instead of several - as it's likely we will see in the BWE. (Afaik one server limit will be the same as all other servers they own, so testing one server in a controlled fashion will bring better results).

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't need to beat the hell out of their server array, just a single or maybe a couple of servers. It's easy for them to just use the previous beta testers because they have the client already, so they can do it at short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by sondok View Post
    They don't need to beat the hell out of their server array, just a single or maybe a couple of servers. It's easy for them to just use the previous beta testers because they have the client already, so they can do it at short notice.
    This. Beyond that, as mentioned before, with the smaller group they can be more sure of what is a server issue and what is a client issue. I'm assuming they're only using those who were in the last beta so they have a list of PC specs. When someone drops they can double check to see what rig they were using and it can help them optimize the game a bit more.

More importantly, someone else hit it on the head - you do NOT want to be in this beta. True stress tests are very, very, very coordinated. It's a job - the folks in there aren't testing out what they want when they want. They're going where ANET sends them when they are sent. They're doing exact things at exact times and giving constant feedback.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this test is done on a single server with a single overflow server. Maybe 2 to eliminate happenstance but I doubt it's more than a couple thousand people - a few hundred being ANET employees and family/friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2‏@GuildWars2

Close

Stress Test is like Fight Club: If you are not in, you do not need to know about it. If you are in, you cannot talk about it. ^MK

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious796 View Post
    More importantly, someone else hit it on the head - you do NOT want to be in this beta. True stress tests are very, very, very coordinated. It's a job - the folks in there aren't testing out what they want when they want. They're going where ANET sends them when they are sent. They're doing exact things at exact times and giving constant feedback.
    Actualy sounds like fun, you activly taking part in testing/improving game. I know that in normal Beta you are giving feedback etc, but that what you wrote seems to be more involved. What can be better then being part of testing team to make game you are waiting for better for you and every1 else?
    But thats maybe because I never was in stress test

It's just a server capacity test. I really hope there isn't a lot of anxiety flying around about this stress test. People should want to participate, but it's unlikely even to give access to the game itself.
    This is a prep for the BWEs. Simple as.
    I wish I was invited so ANet could abuse my machine like the little whore she is...but sadly, no.

Stress test is for those who have been in previous closed betas. Expect the first BWE event next week most likely. That's how it was with the last beta. Second to last week of March.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Why am I seeing that GW2 will have stress test today for 6 hours? Where do I get it?!?!?
    GW2 Stress Test is like Fight Club..

first rule? you don't talk of it

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    I wonder if the stress test has any influence on when the beta happens though. As if, they'll decide if they need an extra week to prep the servers better or not...
    I wouldn't think so, and for two reasons. Firstly, this is a stress test, and I feel it is to guage the number of players a single server can support whilst keeping in-game mechanics smooth and operational - I suspect the numbers ArenaNet obtain from this will give them clear indication of the number of servers they will need to provision for BWE's. Secondly, as someone else in another thread mentioned, 27th April is the GW1 7th anniversary, and ArenaNet have made it pretty clear that they don't want GW2 overshadowing that event.

As a result, I strongly suspect the first BWE will be 20th April, unless they slip the schedule and make it the first weekend in May (bearing in mind that whilst they have said previously the first BWE was planned for late April, there was never (to my knowledge) a guarantee that it would be).