Thread: New gfx card

Deleted

New gfx card

I need a new gfx card, i've been looking at some different GTX 560 Ti's. I chose this Twin Frozr III as i heard the performance on this model is really really great, and because its one of the newer ones, with 448 cuda cores. But then i found a GTX 570, also msi Twin Frozr, with same amount of ram (1.25gb).
    Is the GTX 570 an obvious winner in this, and is it worth spending a little more money on Should i look at some other versions of 560 Ti instead, or other cards in this price range? Please help
    Unfortunetly my motherboard does not have a PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot, so i cant get the new GTX 680

GTX 560 Ti: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127615
    GTX 570: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582
    Motherboard: uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#specifications

First of all, GTX 680 does not require PCIe 3.0 slot, it SUPPORTS it. So it supports 2.0 slot and all the others.

Anyway, it's down to your preference. GTX 570 is a little bit faster (around 5-7%, not more), but costs a bit more as well.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

1. You don't need a PCI-E 3 slot to use a 680.
    2. The current Nvidia line is completely out of date and beaten by any 7xxx card from AMD -except- for the 680. So if you want something in the lesser cost range, go AMD.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    First of all, GTX 680 does not require PCIe 3.0 slot, it SUPPORTS it. So it supports 2.0 slot and all the others.

Anyway, it's down to your preference. GTX 570 is a little bit faster (around 5-7%, not more), but costs a bit more as well.
    Hm, so it would work perfectly fine in that motherboard?

Quote Originally Posted by wazzak View Post
    Hm, so it would work perfectly fine in that motherboard?
    Yes, the 680 will not be bottlenecked by 2.0 bandwidth.

However, like I pointed out earlier, don't purchase anything else other than the 680 in the Nvidia line if you're looking for the best performance in any given budget.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I think if you're looking at the 560Ti's (the 448 cores) then that's more than enough to stay above 60FPS in pretty much every situation, pair it with an i7 2600k and you're sorted, that's a really nice cost effective WoW battering ram :P

Imo though, jump up a tier and future-proof yourself for 2 years with an AMD 7870. Just sayin'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yes, the 680 will not be bottlenecked by 2.0 bandwidth.

However, like I pointed out earlier, don't purchase anything else other than the 680 in the Nvidia line if you're looking for the best performance in any given budget.
    Well the 680 would have been my choice if i knew it supported 2.0 aswell, so deffinetly going for that..
    However, is suppose its best waiting for some OC versions of it to hit the market. Sucks to order a stock, and then theres a better version out few weeks later

---------- Post added 2012-04-13 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maccas91 View Post
    I think if you're looking at the 560Ti's (the 448 cores) then that's more than enough to stay above 60FPS in pretty much every situation, pair it with an i7 2600k and you're sorted, that's a really nice cost effective WoW battering ram :P

Imo though, jump up a tier and future-proof yourself for 2 years with an AMD 7870. Just sayin'
    Hm AMD does seem to have more options out for a better price atm. Unfortunetly i have only had troubles with the AMD cards i had in the past, which kinda pushes me away from buying their products again..

Hm AMD does seem to have more options out for a better price atm. Unfortunetly i have only had troubles with the AMD cards i had in the past, which kinda pushes me away from buying their products again..
    If you're an overclocker, the 7970 is the better card. An overclocked 7970 beats an overclocked 680 by a noticeable margin.

AMD doesn't make the cards, the manufacturers do. If you've had problems with certain cards, it's 100% the manufacturers fault, not AMD. If you stick with the good names such as Sapphire, XFX, ASUS, and such you'll be fine.

build pics

Moved to the Computer Build / Upgrade Help forum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    If you're an overclocker, the 7970 is the better card. An overclocked 7970 beats an overclocked 680 by a noticeable margin.

AMD doesn't make the cards, the manufacturers do. If you've had problems with certain cards, it's 100% the manufacturers fault, not AMD. If you stick with the good names such as Sapphire, XFX, ASUS, and such you'll be fine.
    I have no understanding of how to OC at all. And yes i know the manufacturers make the cards based on AMDs engine, (something like that anyway)..
    Maybe i should be looking at some AMD cards again though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dual 560 Ti's here... you're not getting much more in the way of performance with the 570's, just a bigger pricetag. I would stick with a 560 Ti if I were you.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can find some brand new gtx 470's for $200 now a days those come close to 570's if you can keep the heat down in ur pc

I have no understanding of how to OC at all. And yes i know the manufacturers make the cards based on AMDs engine, (something like that anyway)..
    Maybe i should be looking at some AMD cards again though.
    Overclocking a video card is extremely easy since you can adjust almost everything while you're still booted into Windows with a program like MSI afterburner. You only really have 3 variables to set, and learning what they do is easy peasy if you watch a youtube guide. It's usually also extremely safe to do compared to processors.

Basically, for a little effort, you can substantially improve the performance of any given video card (well beyond factory OC) and have it perform equal or higher to the next model tier. (7950 OC > 7970 stock clocked)

In terms of which brand, maybe wait until the 670/660 Nvidia cards hit then and see where performance stands if you'd like to save some money.

build pics

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccas91 View Post

Maccas,

The i7-2600k currently performs WORSE then the i5-2500k in almost all games especially WoW and it also costs $100 more.

Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    Maccas,

The i7-2600k currently performs WORSE then the i5-2500k in almost all games especially WoW and it also costs $100 more.
    No it doesn't. Sub 0.5% performance differences are seen on either chip.

The i5-2500k is exactly the same processor as an i7-2600k. Like, they're both manufactured in the same place, on the same die, and are identical in every way. The only difference between the two is the label they slap on the higher binned chips, and the subsequent enabling of hyperthreading.

build pics