Thread: HDD issues.

Deleted

HDD issues.

Hello.

Today my HDD died, or atleast I think it died since it said "Failed to boot, backup your data and replace the hard disk drive". So I figured I'd plug in my brothers HDD just to see if it worked, it didn't, I come all the way to the windows loading screen, it dies, gives a BSOD and restarts. Since I don't have an windows CD, what's the issue?.

I'd guess that the OS on your brother's hard drive is used to your brother's hardware, specifically his motherboard. What kind of computer does your brother have? If it is a prebuilt, or if he has an OEM OS, it is locked to his specific motherboard, and won't work if it detects that it is plugged into a different motherboard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I'd guess that the OS on your brother's hard drive is used to your brother's hardware, specifically his motherboard. What kind of computer does your brother have? If it is a prebuilt, or if he has an OEM OS, it is locked to his specific motherboard, and won't work if it detects that it is plugged into a different motherboard.
    Yeah probably, but if I buy a new HDD I won't have this issue right?

No, but you'll also need an OS to put on it... Do you a recovery disk or anything of the sort?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    No, but you'll also need an OS to put on it... Do you a recovery disk or anything of the sort?
    I don't actually, but I think I can get my hands on one, windows XP. and from there I can upgrade to win7

Well windows xp is easy to come by as the serial can be reused every 30 days or so.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyroox View Post
    Hello.

Today my HDD died, or atleast I think it died since it said "Failed to boot, backup your data and replace the hard disk drive". So I figured I'd plug in my brothers HDD just to see if it worked, it didn't, I come all the way to the windows loading screen, it dies, gives a BSOD and restarts. Since I don't have an windows CD, what's the issue?.
    The disk driver cached onto your brothers Windows install is incompatible with the SATA mode in use on your mainboard.

If your brother's Windows boot drive is using the generic MS AHCI or IDE driver, you should be able to boot into Windows by switching to the appropriate SATA operating mode: IDE, AHCI or RAID.

Associated fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976