Thread: Thunderfury?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thunderfury?

So I got a thunderfury last night (yay) and it got me to thinking...

In Mists, as a prot paly will thunderfury become almost required?

With the removal of the thunder clap-type effects and the continuation of threat being a non-factor the 20% slow that the thunderfury proc provides would end up being a nice effect at the cost of tank dps. (tank dps cut in half maybe? Should have some ability to switch between weapons every 10 seconds or so...)

Deleted
    Probably not, lacking defensive stats aswell and if for some reason it should become viable it's going to get nerfed.

yeah don't forget you are losing a ridiculous amount of weapon damage... TPS would be out the window and weapon swapping would be a pain. If they are taking out thunder clap the fights will be designed to not require it any more. Otherwise, other classes can do their jobs and provide slows.

You'd lose far too much threat even hitting them with that weapon. Most abilities being based off of weapon damage, you'd lose out on all that damage. You wouldn't be able to hold aggro.
    Why would it be required that YOU use thunderclap instead of someone whose spec it is built into? Or someone whose class it's built into?

Edit: Not to mention the fact that Blizzard didn't like people using Thunderfury going into BC, so they nerfed it to the ground. And they refuse to update it to current stats because it was a Original WoW thing.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    God no, You would lose so much stats and the amount of threat. That's just plain silly OP

you would lose far to much damage
    in bc it was aroung 50% dmg lose so it was okay but you would lose over 90% of mainhand dmg.
    if you really need the effekt on a boss some rogue could use it but its a proc and a proc is rng so i dont think anyone will use it

Deleted
    I got an infraction for saying *The OP better be trolling* here.. i mean come on, everyone can think of the fact that alvl60 weapon cannot be used for tanking at LVL90!....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrotpie View Post
    I got an infraction for saying *The OP better be trolling* here.. i mean come on, everyone can think of the fact that alvl60 weapon cannot be used for tanking at LVL90!....
    Discussions on moderator actions are not permitted. If you have a moderation question, PM a moderator in that specific forum about it.

Also...
    Quote Originally Posted by MMO-C Guidelines
    Neither spamming or trolling is acceptable on the forums. This includes, but is not limited to, the following examples:
    Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish
    Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
    Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
    Making non-constructive posts
    Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
    Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements
    Thread-necro: Reviving an old thread for no reason other than bumping it to the first page
    Posting meme or troll images, text, or videos; "cool story bro", "u mad", "10/10", captioned images, etc...
    Replying to a thread simply to call the author a troll (regardless of whether the post is actually trolling -- if you feel it is, please use the report button)
    (link)
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    *chuckles* got my thunderfury a couple months ago and me and my fellow tank decided to use it for the first few trash and boss pulls in DS normal. no threat issues and it does some pretty good dps on aoe pulls. all in all though i'd stick with an up to date weapon since that was just for fun.

Here is the thing... Threat is fine using it. You'll lose dps so of there is a tight enrage it might not be good... But to clear up, on a dummy with soul drinker I did 7500 dps in a 5 min sample. With thunderfury it was 5000 dps. The only attack that bases off weapon damage is cs I think? So a reduction of 1/3. Scale that up and the 20k a tank does in ds becomes 15k. I'd take that hit in a figt where melee damage was a concern...

but I really don't understand why you wouldn't want to slow the boss's melee speed by 20%.

Imagine warmaster type fight balanced around no melee slow and then suddenly he or an add is slowed 20%... Now we can take out the negative even more. Have the current off tank be the one equipping it. With out vengeance that. Tanks damage drops big time and they don't need survival stats... Tank switch, new off tank switches main hand.

You wouldn't have a dps do it because the raid would likely miss that persons dps, where as the hit is less when it is the tank, or better an off tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget in MoP they've said alot of abilities that scale from weapon damage are being toned back, and the weapons themselves are getting increased dps. so it's roughly a 33% reduction in damage now, but it may be 50% or higher in MoP.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

There is reason why the -20% modifier is being removed from our tool kit. Blizzard is balancing around us not needing our thunderclap effect.

Not to mention they aren't too keen on people using old tier legendaries for current content. The most I have seen a legendary go is one additional tier (For paladins the Uldaur Mace in ToC, and currently Dragonwrath with shadow priest is what a guildie told me) But a level 60 legendary for level 90 content. Even if it is viable by some degree, you can bet it'll be nerfed to the ground in no time.

I have a feeling that not only are they going to remove the modifier, but they are also going to make bosses immune to the effects anyways. I (believe) mages still have Slow for arcane, and that affects melee/spellcasting speed up to the 20% mark, if you make the bosses immune to the swing speed reduction, it wont matter if you use thunderfury or not, or having to take away the effect for thunderfury :P

It will be basically 20% damage reduction from Thunderfury (proc nearly 100% uptime). However sad it wouldn't sound, but proc will most likely be nerfed/removed.

P.S.: At some points in game there were "bugs" (?), where Thunderfury effect multiplicatively stacked with tanks' "-attack speed" debuff. Didn't last for long though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Required? No. Definitely not, as then guilds would be restrained as to whether their tanks got hit by the RNG gods in Molten Core.

Used? Could be. I plan to resub in MOP and it's something I will be testing just for fun if not anything else. You'll have to wait and see how much of a stat loss you would suffer and then how painful that stat loss actually is when you're wearing other bits of gear.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    By the looks of things

Mob see tank
    Mob attack tank
    warlock over aggro
    warlock dead
    mob attack tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    It will be basically 20% damage reduction from Thunderfury (proc nearly 100% uptime). However sad it wouldn't sound, but proc will most likely be nerfed/removed.

P.S.: At some points in game there were "bugs" (?), where Thunderfury effect multiplicatively stacked with tanks' "-attack speed" debuff. Didn't last for long though.
    I'm betting the proc will be made a level 60 spell and have a ridiculously high change of missing a level 90 mob.

There was a window where Thunderfury stacked with thunderclap type affects. It was very very nice to use during some bosses in Wotlk.

I can totally see swapping to my thunderfury once I gain enough of a threat lead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    There was a window where Thunderfury stacked with thunderclap type affects. It was very very nice to use during some bosses in Wotlk.

I can totally see swapping to my thunderfury once I gain enough of a threat lead.
    there you have it. the way to do it. prot already has to "randomly" use an aoe ability to apply weakened blows to keep that debuf rolling so switching weapon to thunder is just another thing to do.

that said i would probably still rather have the self healing of a souldrinker.

I see an awful lot of worrying about agro. Have you even looked at omen? Tanks easily got a 200% or more threat lead, and a large portion of their damage comes from abilities that are only affected by attack power (vengeance), and even normal weapon-based attacks are still significantly affected by attack power (14AP = 1 weapon DPS, or 5.38 AP = 1 weapon damage for a 2.6 speed weapon, appropriately modified by weapon damage modifers on abilities).

20% less melee damage taken by a tank is going to MASSIVELY outweigh ANY stats on a weapon, regardless of level, because the 20% attack speed slow SCALES.

If a tank that does say, 30% less damage (arbitrary number) because they used thunderfury than what they normally did with a level appropriate weapon and enrage timer is wiping your group, you have worse problems than tank DPS. Your regular DPS players likely sucks ass and needs to l2p.
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2012-04-16 at 11:58 AM.