Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] Cabin in the Woods

If you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want it to be spoiled, I advise avoiding this thread.

Incredible stuff. I don't believe this flick will ever be topped for me in the horror genre, having grown up around it since the 1970s...books and cinema.
    Just...wow. I'm still smiling with just how good it was.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was by far my favorite horror genre movie ever. I don't even think there is anything even close to it except for the first Scream movie and maybe something from the 70s. It was phenomenal in every aspect. Perfect amount of funny, scary, mysterious, violent, bloody, awesome.

My favorite part is that the previews for the movie made it look like the mystery of the movie would be peeled away in layers like an onion. The movie starts and basically says "Fuck that, here is the onion with all of its layers exposed. Enjoy the insanity." Bradley Whitford being killed by the merman was just perfect.

Just watched this movie, I trought it was pretty decent. The first half was quite boring, but the second half was amazing. Any scene where the monsters were attacking was awesome, wish they had way more of them.

15+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed it very much.

I'd like to call it Cthulhu in the Woods, but, the last scene would of been a tentacle instead of a hand, but that was still top notch. Great movie, recommend it to anyone, even if they don't like "horror" movies, because it's really not. It's one of the rare rare spoofs done right. Was also a nod to horror, it was fun guessing what all the little clues, monsters and certain scenes were nods to.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was treated to a private advance screening by a friend who runs a local theater, and I had to lie my ass off and pretend I liked it.

Honestly, the previews ruined it. When they are interviewing people who saw the film in the preview, one of the guys blurts out "Now I know why the house on the poster looks like a Rubix cube."

It's Cube.
    In the woods.

That's it. There is absolutely nothing new that the movie brings to the genre. Literally it's the holodeck scene from Jason X meets Cube, set in the woods. I called the ending about 10 minutes in, and sadly was proven to be right. I really wanted to like this one, but I just couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    I was treated to a private advance screening by a friend who runs a local theater, and I had to lie my ass off and pretend I liked it.

Honestly, the previews ruined it. When they are interviewing people who saw the film in the preview, one of the guys blurts out "Now I know why the house on the poster looks like a Rubix cube."

It's Cube.
    In the woods.

That's it. There is absolutely nothing new that the movie brings to the genre. Literally it's the holodeck scene from Jason X meets Cube, set in the woods. I called the ending about 10 minutes in, and sadly was proven to be right. I really wanted to like this one, but I just couldn't.
    I can tell you didn't watch the movie. Why are you lying?

It's Cube.
    In the woods.

I wouldn't exactly say it is Cube. Yes the monsters were housed like that, but that had no bearing on the house itself other than how the monster they chose were released.

The goal was to mesh a lot of films in the genre into one, which I felt they did fairly well. It certainly exceeded my expectations overall.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOL you can tell I didn't watch the movie? Want me to give you a step by step of the plot, how about the fact that the weed overpowered the mind control drugs, or Sigorney Weaver trying to draw one last paycheck before her looks are totally shot. The Korean kids defeating their ghost into the spirit of a frog, the terrible Cube ripoff at the end, the half-assed CG hand, the merman, what else you wanna know bucko? I love when people make statements like yours, proving you wrong is fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL you can tell I didn't watch the movie? Want me to give you a step by step of the plot, how about the fact that the weed overpowered the mind control drugs, or Sigorney Weaver trying to draw one last paycheck before her looks are totally shot. The Korean kids defeating their ghost into the spirit of a frog, the terrible Cube ripoff at the end, the half-assed CG hand, the merman, what else you wanna know bucko? I love when people make statements like yours, proving you wrong is fun.
    The point of the film was to actually enjoy it, not "hey I guess it, this film now means nothing to me". Congrats you guessed it, but there was nothing to guess, as the film starts out telling you not everything is what it seems, hell, even the trailer did. I do agree with the Sigorney Weaver part though, there's more than one female hero out there they could use for a cameo, Milla Jovovich would of been fitting, but then everyone would think it's an Umbrella Company hybrid. The rest was top notch though. But ,you can't please everyone. They ask for something original, they get it, then they complain even more.

Best movie of the year so far, IMO. Loved every minute of it. Can't wait to see it again. Fran Kranz is hilarious and deserves more roles. Joss Whedon is a genius.
    Merman FTW.

Also, haters gonna hate, nothing to do about it.

Wow. Why all the hate on S. Weaver? I suspect that anyone who was chosen would still receive the, "Hey, they could have chosed [insert the name of who you wanted here]."

To say it's Cube meets Jason X, might...and I use that loosely... be true. But comparing it to other horror moves...from Friday the 13th to Pitch Black to Cube to Hellraiser...is, after all, kinda the point.

Overall, the flick is an homage to the horror genre, so I would hope you do find many similarities in it. It's why I loved the flick.

The nod to Lovecraft and the Anicent Gods was a nice touch too.

It's about appreciation, so if you appreciate the horror genre, you should see it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvaldin View Post
    Wow. Why all the hate on S. Weaver? I suspect that anyone who was chosen would still receive the, "Hey, they could have chosed [insert the name of who you wanted here]."
    I suppose it's all the hate because every cameo she makes is because of her roles in the alien franchise, and that Hollywood uses her like she's the only female hero of horror movies, or movies in general. After 2 movies her cameos get old but, then again, this movie was made in 2009. I had no problem with it, it did not ruin the movie for me, just thinking about why others hate her cameos.

Just got back from seeing this movie, and it was really fun to watch! I knew next to nothing about it going into the theater, so I was pleasantly surprised by the turn that the plot took. I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy it, but I thought that it was really neat. I'd recommend it to friends.

Deleted
    Already posted my rating in the "Last Movie You Watched..." thread, but I really enjoyed the film. It was great fun. I love dark humour, so it was right up my alley.

Also, for a wannabe Otaku, the way the Japanese schoolgirls defeated their class demon was absolutely perfect! So astute. I haven't laughed that hard, in the cinema, for a looong time!

Would recommend the movie to Joss Whedon fans and anybody who enjoys black comedy.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-04-18 at 12:46 AM.

First off, this movie is definitely not for everyone. If you typically avoid teen-slashers and hate them with a passion, it's better to steer clear of this movie; since it basically deconstructs this sub-genre of horror.

The film is a "horror-comedy" in the style of Drag me to Hell. What this means is that the horror elements are jump scares, and the "comedy" is making fun of or parodying horror tropes, or rather, B-grade garbage horror movie tropes.

Here's a summary of the story:

1) A bizarre organized cult that has bases all over the world engages in routine human sacrifices using monsters to appease old gods. They do this in Truman Show reality TV style.
    2) A group of Youths somewhere in suburban USA enters one of these reality TV enclosures and gets killed off one by one.
    3) Eventually everyone except 2 (the virgin and the stoner) die; they figure out (1), release all the monsters in the control center, take revenge and finally the old gods are not appeased (old gods = audience, who aren't happy with garbage teen slashers : holy crap, color me surprised)

The 1st hour of the movie is basically a teen slasher with the above in mind. All of the stereotypical lameness is forgiven because apparently the "puppeteers" have coerced them into behaving like horror personality tropes. The "slut", is blonde because he died her hair blonde. The "jock", isn't actually a jock because we heard him talk for 15 seconds about his sociology major (which is according to the filmmakers very nerdy somehow). The "clown" trope is actually an intelligent person but a stoner. They are all subject to pheromones, which makes them want to constantly have sex.

Apparently being puppeteered into doing all this makes the movie incredibly smart.

Every alternate line in the film is an obvious reference to other B-grade horror films so there's a lot of tongue-in-cheek, sel-referential/self-aware type meta-humor with "hey look how many references i can spot" type nonsense. Much like Abeds meta skits in Community. These kind of things are funny for a couple of minutes on a TV show, but in a full movie ?

Then there's the constant barrage of "LOL SO RANDUMMM xDDD" type humor. Disembodied hands, a unicorn being used to skewer the cult office workers (so edgy !!!! a unicorn being used as a horror trope !!!), and a giant snake.

If you found the moronic talking/dancing goat in Drag me to Hell funny, you'll probably like this kind of humor, I certainly didn't.

The movie is basically an examination of a turd, telling us that it stinks.

It's not smart, it's not funny and it's not scary. It's pretentious hipster smarm of the worst kind (and I usually like high concept films).

Eh, it was alright. The novelty wore off on me fairly fast, though. I enjoyed the whole "Ancient Gods" Lovecraftian thing they somewhat had going on, but I was disappointed to see nothing with resemblance to Cthulhu or Old Gods at the end. /shrugs It was still better than the Raven, which I had sneaked in to watch afterwards (don't lookit me like that....movies are expensive).

10+ Year Old Account
    great film, not really a huge horror fan, but my date wanted to see it, I was just glad she didn't want to see the frakkin Hunger Games

within about.... 5 mins of people talking I was thinking 'this whole film screams Joss Whedon'... and what do you know

Great film, really refreshed what was becoming a tired genre, great ending, so so so funny and I LAUGHED my ass off when the guy tried to jump the ravine, and smashed into the electric wall thingy, one of the classic moments of cinema history
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

[Movies] Cabin in the Woods

Just watched it, highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it!

Did you guys see Merv's bong? Daaaaammnnn!

By far one of my favorite horror films of the last 10 years. The writing was pure genius and a perfect parody of a genre that has become complacent with cliches.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually thought it was kinda terrible. I mean, cool concept and all, but it came off as very cheese-ball. There were a bunch of missteps in the writing I think. Could have been better.