Motherboard/CPU combo

I'm looking to buy a solid motherboard/CPU combo for the new gaming/media computer I want. I have only looked on newegg.com so far, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. For the set I'm not looking to spend much more than 200 bucks, but will go up to 300 if it's worth it. I'm trying to stay on somewhat of a budget since I will have to buy all of the other hardware as well.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Moved to Build/Upgrade Help.

OT: It depends on what you want to do with it, and what else you plan to put into the build (power supply specifically), but for $200, the best you're gonna do is probably something like the Intel i3 2100 + ASRock H67M (B3). Bumping up to $300, probably the Intel i5 2500K + ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-14 at 12:27 AM.

I figure I will go with something hefty for power. On my current box I had a weak power supply and I went through a couple of graphics cards and a case fan because I didn't have enough power to push all of it. At least that's my best guess anyway. I'm not trying go top of the line, but I at least want something above average. I have a friend suggesting AMD processors, he likes them better for gaming he says.

Thanks for putting my post in the correct place. I saw "computer" and didn't look any farther.
    Last edited by TheOne; 2012-04-14 at 12:40 AM.

You can play most modern games on low to medium with the internal GPU on an AMD chip (they call it an APU iirc), but really at the moment the only choice for a good gaming rig on your budget is the i3 2100/2120 on, say, an AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard as Note suggested.

While you certainly need an adequate power supply, people often make the mistake of thinking "Lots of wattage must mean good!". You want to find the balance: just enough power for your components + good build quality from a reliable brand (e.g. SeaSonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec, OCZ).

If you get the chance, post the rest of your build, the community here is very helpful. We'll give it a look over and make sure you're getting the best performance for your budget. To help us help you, I suggest taking a look at these questions, and then posting your answers here.

Thanks NWN. I'll work on that list and try to get it posted tonight. If not tonight definitely tomorrow.