10+ Year Old Account

Tips for fighters?

I play alot of video games, as I assume nearly all of us do and I consider myself an above average gamer. I enjoy all genres of games ; shooters, rpg's, action, MMO's and the sort. However, there's just one genre that I can't grasp : Fighting games.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy fighting games, I always get sucked into buying the newly released ones. What I'm trying to get at is that while I considering myself above average in all other types of games, I'm just weak in comparison when I play fighters. I flat out suck horrendously.

I know I'm terrible, yet I just keep getting sucked into buying them because its so tempting to better myself! Street Fighter 4, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, and I even recently just purchased Skullgirls. While I play these games I just can't seem to get better at all! I follow guides, I follow tutorials, I even experiment and try to develop simpler combos going into advanced ones but when it comes to a match against another player, I just go blank. I guess i'm not used to reacting fast or whatever but I need some help badly!

So I ask you, do any of you have any tips on how to become better at Fighting games?

I normally mash buttons on the controller until something awesome comes out.

But something I learned from playing Smash Bros is to watch your opponent, see what kind of strategy he tries to use on you and carefully counter.

10+ Year Old Account
    (charge) Back, Forward, Kick, Punch Kick Punch, (Roll) Low front > Down > Low Back, Kick, Punch Kick Punch, (Roll) Low front > Down > Low Back, Forward, Down, Low Front, Punch, Forward, (charge) Back, (Roll) Down > Low Front > Front. Oh how I miss you original Gameboy Killer Instinct.

I guess it helps to memorize your chosen character's moves and those of others so you have an idea of what they will do, then psychologically break down any human competitor you are against so you get inside their head and know what they will do before they do it. That involves losing to them about 20-30 times then never losing to them again.

Alternately, run to them and thrash buttons and hope they aren't Pro.

Alternately alternately, spend every waking minute playing the game against progressively harder computer opponents with every character until you don't even need to watch the screen to play. That's what I did on original SSB back in High School; the bastards had to go 3 on 1 to even have a prayer. Best in the district baby!

There is more but here is some...
    1- Master the character you usually play (combos etc), find a character that suits your playstyle.
    2- Knowledge about the characters helps alot in fighting games (you dont have to play them, just know their abilities and so).
    3- Different people have different play styles even with same characters (you might need to get used to dem).
    4- Analysing the situation fast, and reacting to it.
    5- Against people you dont know (never played against before), some people stays defensive to analyse while others just try to play as they normally do (depending on how talented and skilled you are).
    6- Try to relax (as much as you can) if you play against others (This one easier said than done^.^).

Things to keep in mind, everyone can play fighting games but not everyone can master them. Some characters are better against other characters, and some characters are generally better than others (in certain situations). Different fighting games plays differently......

Crab I hope after this long post it helps you somehow Oo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by korsic View Post
    I normally mash buttons on the controller until something awesome comes out.

But something I learned from playing Smash Bros is to watch your opponent, see what kind of strategy he tries to use on you and carefully counter.
    I used to do that... but normally, "something awesome" just ended up being blisters on my thumbs (and those royally suck!)
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

if your serious buy a arcade-style joy stick and buttons board.
    pads and keyboards are just too slow, this isn't opinion either its fact that for fighters if you use a pad your too slow and keyboards are too cluttered.

beyond that, keep your wits about you and don't start spazzing out.
    Last edited by mordale; 2012-04-14 at 06:38 AM.

I pretty much brute force myself in fighting games as in I play and play and play until I get better. Like Omertocracy said, start with a medium difficulty until you can pretty much own the computer. Work your way up in difficulty and then see if you can beat people online. Practice combos and fight every character so that you don't get surprised in an online match.

You said you practice but go blank against people. My advice to that is to think that you are fighting a CPU. Try fighting hard CPU for a while and then jump into an online match but continue fighting the way you just were with the CPU. You could try opening with memorized combos to break that blank state at the beginning of the battle, the rest will just fall into place and if not then continue doing combos.
    pokemon x/y 3ds 3969-5096-1949 Abra, Espurr and Xatu

Think you are playing against CPU (while actually playing against human)-> about 60% you will lose. CPU plays differently than human, and no matter what, its programed<-- . Get some knowledge by playing against CPU, that helps, get used to your character that you are playing. As for the rest, read what others and I wrote above.

did you try the SF4 or SSF4 trials? theyre tough but theyre good to see if you got the coordination needed for it (for fighting games i mean)

give em a try they start with the very basics but get tough very quick. you also learn a lot by doing em like how to cancel combos in order to chain in another etc
    other than that id say just practise