Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    To teach in New York you need to be certified and you need a degree in teaching also. So for teaching NY would be difficult as I imagine other places aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirguygrand View Post
    And what is wrong with said "Texans"? :P
    Nothing in particular, I find the SUPER state pride a bit annoying. I'm not going to base all texans on my own personal experiences with Texans but they were not good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Teachers in NY get paid pretty well in comparison to the salaries of most teachers from other states.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2012-04-15 at 07:25 AM.

I am always impressed to see how the stats looks like it is many small country under the same banners..

10+ Year Old Account
    As a New Yorker who loves her city unconditionally I SHOULD tell you to move here...but you will be broke and have a hard time finding a job so...while I have no real advice on the rest of the states I would advise you not to move to this one just yet. Good luck, though. And welcome!

Florida is terrible... go to New York!
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    i think texas has its worldwide stigma because of Bush... aside from him i cant think of much thats bad to come out of texas...
    OT: go to texas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I am afraid so, sorry. I imagine most of you are really nice, but whenever anything really crazy happens in the USA it is usually in Texas. A few bad apples spoil it for the rest of you.
    You're thinking of Arizona, Texas hasn't done anything crazy lately...except letting Perry run as a nominee.

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 05:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Nothing in particular, I find the SUPER state pride a bit annoying. I'm not going to base all texans on my own personal experiences with Texans but they were not good.
    You find that everywhere.

Mass[you know the rest] are even worse with the "pride" thing.

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    This is pretty much it, we also see a lot of news reports of texans shooting first and asking questions later, it is quite scary. Texans also have a rep as right wing, homophobic, racist bigots. I know this is just a stereotype but the US media does not really dispute this.
    Then there's Austin. When you are on the road to Austin, you go through this dimensional vortex...

---------- Post added 2012-04-15 at 06:10 AM ----------

You should take a look into Austin, Texas:

Pros--
    1. Austin is Texan and not Texan. The city has the feel of Texas without the strong conservatism or backwardness that seems to characterize the rest of the state.

2. High standard of living for low price; Austin ranks as one of the top cities to live and is extremely cheap compared to the major US cities. I used to live in an apartment on the top floor of a building on top of a mountain overlooking a nature reserve with a private dog trail, 2 pools, a pool house and a sky lounge with a wet bar along with a small gym and an office and game room for residents for 1000 a month, try getting just a livable apartment in Boston for that price.

3. Racial integration; Minorities stick to themselves, usually. However, in Austin you find a high degree of interaction among all ethnicities. There's a decent proportion of Sino-Japanese and Indians in the population. Other cities may have a large minority population but the population is not integrated.

4. Great food; Austin has a lot of up-and-coming chefs that are starting to get recognized in the country (Tyson Cole, Paul Qui). The restaurants are quirky.

5. Anti-big brand culture; Austin believes in its quirkiness, so instead of 3000 Starbucks you find at most 5 but thousands of small coffee shops with a lot of personality. Same applies to all kinds of businesses.
    You do find your big brands, however.

6. Parks and lakes.

7. Very dog friendly city

8. Close to 3 of America's largest cities if you want to go to a big city every now and then.

9. Smart population. While the University of Texas is the only major university (there's a few lesser universities, though), Austin is a city of very educated young professionals. I live in Boston atm and for the amount of good universities they have here, there's plenty of uneducated people.

10. Local farms and farmers markets.

11. UT Austin. Some departments are ranked among the highest in the nation and 30% of international students are Asian, btw.

12. Charter schools. Charter schools are much more flexible regarding hiring teachers, so you'd have an opportunity to find a job via innovative means.

13. Gay-friendly; Don't know if that matters to you.

14. Austin City Limits; SXSW. Famous and amazing music festivals.

15. Speaking of music: live music everywhere

16. Rather decent bar scene, split too; The bar scene is concentrated downtown and it's easy to avoid certain populations (bars for college students are separated from those for professionals with a bit more cash and class).

17. Decent biking routes, if you care.

18. Healthy culture; Austinites are surprisingly fit considering San Antonio is considered one of the fattest cities. Austin is no Seattle, but you will find people in their 60's more fit than twenty-somethings (kinda like Madonna, lawl).

19. Cheap housing, filled with young professionals; Austin is a growing city, if you need a roommate who's not some wacko, most likely you'll find someone to room with. Google, Facebook and Apple have offices in Austin, so the city is attracting a lot of high-end professionals (mostly because these companies can justify the lower salaries due to the high but relatively cheap standard of living).

20. Great city for single people, young or older!

THE CONS!

1. Austin is a smaller city in the end, so if you want a huge town a la Philadelphia or Boston you won't get that. However you get all the perks of the big cities without a lot of the problems.

2. Public transportation sucks for locations far away from downtown, it's pretty much catered to the large student population (the University of Texas at Austin has about 30k students).

3. Bad traffic along the main routes (I-35 and MoPac), particularly horrible for the size of the city.

4. Weather. Did someone order over 100 days of over 38-degree (Celsius) weather with no rain?

5. The whole being close to Mexico might seem enticing (it's 4 hours away), but I wouldn't set foot in Mexico...and I grew up there.

Pro or Con?

1. Fashion. Austin is a weird mix of hispter with proto-hippie and proto-yuppie. The fashion might seem weird at first, but in the end no one cares what you wear. When you have such hot springs and summer, no one cares what you wear. You can walk to a fancy bar or restaurant in shorts and flip flops and no one will say anything. Some people like that, some don't.

2. Veganisms, macrobiotics and coeliacs. There's plenty of food you can eat if you fit in those categories...at the same time, when you start making friends, don't get surprised if 1/4 of them have some weird dietary (whether medical or not) need.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by eriseis; 2012-04-15 at 10:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    New York is a super shitty place to be in unless you make a very good income......

Go to texas.